Fitness for Glasto 2019 Thread

The Placid Casual

I’ll m going to approach Glasto like I would a marathon this time. Plenty of hard running up to about three weeks out then taper the mileage and do next to nothing for the last few days. Should be raring to go by Weds kickoff. 

On 10/10/2018 at 7:49 PM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Just getting fit again after being diagnosed with plantar fasciitis a couple of months back.  Definitely something to keep an eye on in the run up to / during the fest itself.

Afraid I'm also a member of the foot fascist crew :( Mine started off with tendonitis in one foot from walking, then telephone physio appointment gave me exercises which caused the PF but in the opposite heel. After getting nowhere with NHS physio I went private, and after a couple of months the PF seemed to go away, and the tendon seemed to be getting stronger and stronger. Just two months ago both the right tendon and left PF came back with a vengeance. Was at a World Music festival last weekend and had to remain seated. It's now been 16 months since the original injury and it's really beginning to get me down - especially as I seemed to be almost right at one point. What did everyone else do to "heel" and manage their situations?

Right, as we failed to get a tipi, and i’ve got to haul my sorry arse up to Worthy View every day, i’m going to need to sort myself out. Currently walking 60 km a week, but still horribly overweight. 15 kgs to lose, i reckon. 

On 10/27/2018 at 12:36 PM, Northern Soul said:

It's strange is it. I do a fair bit of mountain walking but wouldn't describe myself as being fit. I'm just not un-fit, if that makes sense. I know Glasto entails an awful lot of walking, but it's just that, walking. Of course, it's tiring, even if you're super fit it would still be tiring. I think what I'm trying to say is that you don't need to be especially fit to take on the rigours of Glastonbury (but of course, it would help) Just try not to be un-fit! 

My post was a little (well, a lot) tongue-in-cheek....although Pennard Hill can feel like Kilimanjaro at 3am after sinking a vat of cider. But agree, no need to go OTT. Glasto does involve a lot of walking which some people, even if they’re cardio fit, aren’t used to. Go out for a few 10-12 mile hill walks in the months leading up, and reap the benefits ?

• Upvote 2

Never run with music on. 

A few reasons:

- I find it a bit distracting from / prevents that part when everything goes a bit ‘zen’.

- I’m long distance(ish) solo running on trails, usually in the middle of nowhere, so I like to keep my wits about me and concentrate. 

- I have to remember to hydrate and eat / take nutrition at the right times (that I’ve worked out myself by trial and loads of error) or I’ll bonk towards the last few miles.

- The challenge of trying to deal with my mind’s reaction to tiredness, pain, going a bit doolally is part of the whole allure for me. I love it in a weird way!

NB: I listen to podcasts on the treadmill, but I view treadmillruns as ‘training’ and trail running as the ‘real thing’. I don’t bother running outdoors unless it’s at least 13 miles. 

I’m still relatively new to running so I’m making it up as I go along!!!

Pulled my finger out and actually went running yesterday. Only a 10km but was harder than I expected, partly running fitness (bit of an ego check is always good), and partly from doing 50km on the bike the day before.

Ironically it was also a struggle as my left hip is really, really, tight at the moment, but my run was to get to a body balance class. Which I subsequently missed because it took me longer to run there than I thought! Like I said, ego checks are always good :)

17 hours ago, Woffy said:

- I have to remember to hydrate and eat / take nutrition at the right times (that I’ve worked out myself by trial and loads of error) or I’ll bonk towards the last few miles.

At what distances did you find you had to start taking on food/nutrition during your run? Asking as I’m intending to slowly start cranking the mileage of my longer runs over winter.

But yeah, lifting too. I've toned it down a bit recently, just aiming more for maintenance at the moment. Had quite a few issues with my shoulder this year and it's knocked some of the wind out of my sails, plus was focusing on training for running events for a while so loat some momentum. Keeping it focused on the basic core lifts at the moment - squats, deadlifts, bench, clean and press, rows and pull ups.

7 hours ago, The Clearest Blue said:

At what distances did you find you had to start taking on food/nutrition during your run? Asking as I’m intending to slowly start cranking the mileage of my longer runs over winter.

Sorry. Only just seen this. 

Once I started getting up to and over 13 miles I started hitting the wall / bonking, whatever you want to call it. Weird thing is I had no real clue what was happening! I stupidly just thought the longer distances were ‘harder’. It wasn’t until I started watching The Ginger Runner’s YouTube films and then his podcasts and Billy Yang’s films (Where Dreams Go To Die and Life In A Day - both fucking EXCELLENT, btw) and generally taking an interest in ultra running (Western States, Hardrock, Badwater, etc) that it even occurred to me to hydrate / take nutrition. 

Its generally just trial and error and different for everyone it seems. 

NOTE: I am FAR from an expert!!! 

I tried Clif Bars, Gels, Haribos, flavoured sodium / isotonic tabs, Lucozade sweets. 

And now I use all the above in a combination. Eating bars and gels and hydrating in rotation. Clif Bars always before gel and water as they’re quite claggy! Eating when running is odd! I practised on the treadmill!!!

I was also a dickhead and initially didn’t start taking food until after a few miles. Which is daft as it takes a while to kick in, so I needed to do it from the start almost. 

I use mini packs of haribos as a ‘treat’ and sugar rush. And then keep the lucozade tabs until the end when I’m flagging as a kind of (psychological) pick up. 

Oh! I also work it all out - calories, etc - by the hour, rather than by distance. Probably shoulda said that at the start!

I dunno if that helps?!!!

I've got a little list of what I take per hour. I’ll post it on here tomorrow if you like? 

25 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Once I started getting up to and over 13 miles I started hitting the wall / bonking, whatever you want to call it. Weird thing is I had no real clue what was happening! I stupidly just thought the longer distances were ‘harder’. It wasn’t until I started watching The Ginger Runner’s YouTube films and then his podcasts and Billy Yang’s films (Where Dreams Go To Die and Life In A Day - both fucking EXCELLENT, btw) and generally taking an interest in ultra running (Western States, Hardrock, Badwater, etc) that it even occurred to me to hydrate / take nutrition. 

I tried Clif Bars, Gels, Haribos, flavoured sodium / isotonic tabs, Lucozade sweets. 

And now I use all the above in a combination. Eating bars and gels and hydrating in rotation. Clif Bars always before gel and water as they’re quite claggy! Eating when running is odd! I practised on the treadmill!!!

I was also a dickhead and initially didn’t start taking food until after a few miles. Which is daft as it takes a while to kick in, so I needed to do it from the start almost. 

I use mini packs of haribos as a ‘treat’ and sugar rush. And then keep the lucozade tabs until the end when I’m flagging as a kind of (psychological) pick up. 

Oh! I also work it all out - calories, etc - by the hour, rather than by distance. Probably shoulda said that at the start!

I've got a little list of what I take per hour. I’ll post it on here tomorrow if you like? 

Please do, I'd be interested to see it.

9 hours ago, Woffy said:

Thanks for the response, all sounds sensible, the thought of trying to eat whilst running worries me as after my long runs I always have ‘runner belly’ and get waves of cramps for a few hours. Can only imagine attempting to eat during this would worsen it. Might give it a go once my mileage has increased though. Thanks.

I'm a fairly experienced runner; do just over 3,000 miles per year. If you eat a decent carb loaded meal the night before and have a porrige, a bagel or something similar for breakfast you really shouldn't need to eat on the run. If I'm doing a long run on a Sunday and I know I'm going to be pushing the pace I'll take an emergency gel with me. There's a lot of dodgy advice out there about dehydration as well, especially around London Marathon time. Just make sure you're hydrated before you go out and you'll be fine with a few sips on your run. I personally never take a drink with me, even for a 20-24 mile training run on a Sunday; just drink when you feel thirsty.

6 minutes ago, SighMo said:

I personally never take a drink with me, even for a 20-24 mile training run on a Sunday; just drink when you feel thirsty

Now that's an interesting one, as the steer I've always had in training is that by the time you're thirsty you're already less hydrated than you should be. 

Just now, Quark said:

Now that's an interesting one, as the steer I've always had in training is that by the time you're thirsty you're already less hydrated than you should be. 

Maybe if you're not hydrated before you set off. Anything of 15 miles and over I'll drink 500mls of SIS electrolyte before hand.

1 minute ago, SighMo said:

Maybe if you're not hydrated before you set off. Anything of 15 miles and over I'll drink 500mls of SIS electrolyte before hand.

Fair enough. Mine's either been for rugby, so short sharp sprints, or cycling where the bottles are nicely attached to the bike. Haven't really done the long running thing. Always like to see how other people train :)

I also read somewhere that you don't notice you're thirsty as much when you get older; that's me. But most of the runners I know, and that includes a few guys who run well under 2:30 for a marathon don't drink much during the race or whilst training.