Fitness for Glasto 2019 Thread

The Placid Casual

30 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Just getting fit again after being diagnosed with plantar fasciitis a couple of months back.  Definitely something to keep an eye on in the run up to / during the fest itself.

Ouch! That could be a festival ruining affliction. Best wishes for getting it sorted.

ps had it myself, fully recovered, just takes a little time.

Edited by John the Moth
Added

5 minutes ago, slash's hat said:

After having a lung removed earlier this year, and subsequent complications I certainly need to focus on building strength and fitness. Unfortunately other stuff going on is limiting what I can achieve right now. So frustrating. I know next year will have to be a very different one for me, though I should be able to take advantage of the disabled shortcuts at least.

Another one who can't wait for 2018 to do one....though the older I get I seem to say that every year!

Christ. Get fully well soon to you too Slash’s. 

I started getting into shape in January, mainly by running, ran my first official 10k in May, planning on two more next year and perhaps a half marathon. Found it a real struggle keeping my energy up in 2017 and I’m by no means a natural runner. I’ve now lost 3 and a half stone, looking to shake off another half a stone and I’ll be happy. Can’t afford to lose anymore, can’t drop another Jean size. Jeans are fucking expensive. Keeping my mileage up over winter and then looking to increase endurance/distance/pace from early next year going in to spring with some serious interval training.

2 minutes ago, The Clearest Blue said:

I started getting into shape in January, mainly by running, ran my first official 10k in May, planning on two more next year and perhaps a half marathon. Found it a real struggle keeping my energy up in 2017 and I’m by no means a natural runner. I’ve now lost 3 and a half stone, looking to shake off another half a stone and I’ll be happy. Can’t afford to lose anymore, can’t drop another Jean size. Jeans are fucking expensive. Keeping my mileage up over winter and then looking to increase endurance/distance/pace from early next year going in to spring with some serious interval training.

Addictive isn’t it! Well done on the weight loss and mileage.

I'm lucky to be able to run around Worthy Farm all year round. It’s very peaceful (as long as you dodge Micheal in his landie ). The hills are a killer though. 

39 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Just getting fit again after being diagnosed with plantar fasciitis a couple of months back.  Definitely something to keep an eye on in the run up to / during the fest itself.

I feel your pain! Been there ,done that. Sorted now ,but for 18 months it was a killer.

preventative measures now keep it at bay. Touch wood I’ve been pain free for a couple of years.

10 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Seems to be 'heel'-ing up nicely...but baby steps called for at the minute.  Heels pads in the walking boots come G-time.

Don’t know if you spotted my late edit to my post.

I had it myself, kept up the stretches, pads in the shoes, slowly build back up the exercises... right as rain now and running 5 miles twice a week with no issues.

You’ll be fine come June ?

5 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

Addictive isn’t it! Well done on the weight loss and mileage.

I'm lucky to be able to run around Worthy Farm all year round. It’s very peaceful (as long as you dodge Micheal in his landie ). The hills are a killer though. 

So addictive, gone from being unable to imagine myself running, to not being able to imagine myself not running. I don’t have any hills on my routes though haha might have to work a few in for practice incase of hillier courses in the future though! Bet it’s lovely running round the festival site, but also guess it would highlight how crowded the site is during the fest.

I’ve started doing CrossFit and Olympic weightlifting and lost 2 stone since the beginning of the year, so a good start ,  I absolutely love it, never gonna be a tiny fairy but hoping to be a much more toned one for sure. I certainly can carry my stuff now. And much much fitter , here’s to not falling off the wagon and keeping going . 

Not specifically for Glasto, but aiming to maintain where I am. Back into running after doing the Paras 10 back in May, did Tough Mudder a couple of weeks back and signed up to do the Fan Dance SAS march over Pen Y Fan in first weekend of Jan. Been getting out on the bike more now that Mrs Q has got into it, and finally got my garage sorted so I can do a bit of training in there. Got the chin up bar fitted, just the punchbag bracket to hang and it's done!

Playing a bit more rugby again this year as well. Trouble is that my brain still thinks I'm 25. My body does not appreciate that mentality when there's a 20 stone prop running at me on a Saturday!

I'll not lie, I like me my exercise :)

19 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

I’ve started doing CrossFit and Olympic weightlifting and lost 2 stone since the beginning of the year, so a good start ,  I absolutely love it, never gonna be a tiny fairy but hoping to be a much more toned one for sure. I certainly can carry my stuff now. And much much fitter , here’s to not falling off the wagon and keeping going . 

Probably sounds condescending, but it's so good to hear and see women getting into weights. That whole "I don't want to be like a bodybuilder" mentality has gradually faded, and people are just seeing the huge benefits of it. Certainly see way more women in the free weights parts of the gym these days, and a lot of the time with better form than the gym bros! :lol:

11 minutes ago, The Placid Casual said:

I did not get through on the ballot. Are you running for a charity or did you get lucky?

It'll be a great way to work off that Hugh Jass.

I got a place in the ballot last year but had to defer as my daughter was born at the start of the year and marathon training and a newborn wouldn’t mix.

Done a few halves but never gone further.

I did Tough Mudder last year, then the bare minimum exercise until a couple of months ago I started to pick it up again. Shocked at how far my fitness had fallen.

Finding this thread quite inspirational, especially because I’ll be carrying my little girl around Glastonbury with me. Need to be extra fit.