Fitness for Glasto 2019 Thread

The Placid Casual

47 minutes ago, The Red Telephone said:

Looks like I’ve fucked my finger up badly playing cricket.

Have decided now not to play in the preceding two weeks before the festival!

A032D584-F4AE-45F1-A571-652C7BA80510.jpeg

268A3092-C3D5-4A82-8947-920C90EB6B4A.jpeg

Only one thing for that, RT. 

Get the smallest drill bit you can find, heat it up to sterilise it, drill *just* through your fingernail. 

Sounds horrific. But the easing of pressure as the blood squirts through is semi-orgasmic. Seriously. 

On 5/10/2019 at 9:55 PM, jyoung said:

First marathon signed up for. Beachy Head in October. Going to be tough. Feeling a mixture of excitement and terror. Advice is welcome @Hugh Jass (congrats btw!) and if anyone else has anything to share, hit me up!

Well, it’s one of the hardest marathon courses in the country, so hats off to you. I do a lot of hiking on the SDW and seven sisters and know the course really well - it’s a right bastard of a hill to start with in the first couple of hundred yards, and the last 8 miles is up/down/up/down etc etc etc . . . You’ll definitely enjoy finishing ??? 

38 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Only one thing for that, RT. 

Get the smallest drill bit you can find, heat it up to sterilise it, drill *just* through your fingernail. 

Sounds horrific. But the easing of pressure as the blood squirts through is semi-orgasmic. Seriously. 

Think that may be the only solution - but, I can’t find my drill! Think it may have been chucked out after one too many botched attempts at DIY years ago...

Currently mainlining ibuprofen and applying arnica gel. If it’s not getting any better in 36 hours, I’ll either head to the local Minor Injures Unit or B&Q.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Well, it’s one of the hardest marathon courses in the country, so hats off to you. I do a lot of hiking on the SDW and seven sisters and know the course really well - it’s a right bastard of a hill to start with in the first couple of hundred yards, and the last 8 miles is up/down/up/down etc etc etc . . . You’ll definitely enjoy finishing ??? 

Yeah man. I'm from Eastbourne so really excited / nervous haha. Going over the seven sisters at the end of the course is gonna be a struggle, for sure!

Edited by jyoung
  • Upvote 1

Only managed 11.7 miles on my long run. 

Got lost (trying a new route) and had to head towards home off the trails / footpaths and along a country road on which people were hacking it along at about 60mph. Lots of stopping and waiting on grass verges, so it all got a bit demoralising. 

Better than doing nowt though. 

17 hours ago, balti-pie said:

12 hours ago, jyoung said:

Yeah man. I'm from Eastbourne so really excited / nervous haha. Going over the seven sisters at the end of the course is gonna be a struggle, for sure!

Need to check this out! Sounds wonderfully brutal. I did the Jurassic Coast 50K starting/finishing at Lulworth and that was, well, brutal!

Also, my mate Ciaran (who just done his second London Marathon) runs the Beachy Head pub at Beachy Head, so there’s a potential place to stay too. 

54 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Also, my mate Ciaran (who just done his second London Marathon) runs the Beachy Head pub at Beachy Head, so there’s a potential place to stay too. 

Lovely pub that, mate. Wonderful location too. They do a brilliant baked camembert!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jyoung said:

Lovely pub that, mate. Wonderful location too. They do a brilliant baked camembert!

Just WhatsApp’d me mate and it sounds like he’s doing Beachy Head marathon!

Decisions, decisions...

Also, I will pass on your compliments RE: his pub! And baked Camembert! I should also point out the pub is run jointly by him and his wife. They have an amazing talent for turning around and making a success of failing / average pubs.  

On 5/26/2019 at 6:57 PM, The Red Telephone said:

Think that may be the only solution - but, I can’t find my drill! Think it may have been chucked out after one too many botched attempts at DIY years ago...

Currently mainlining ibuprofen and applying arnica gel. If it’s not getting any better in 36 hours, I’ll either head to the local Minor Injures Unit or B&Q.

You could use a sterile needle and manually "drill" it in by spinning it around on your nail? I slammed my finger in a car door once and that's what I did to sort it. 

1 hour ago, barkley87 said:

You could use a sterile needle and manually "drill" it in by spinning it around on your nail? I slammed my finger in a car door once and that's what I did to sort it. 

I did some emergency “surgery” this morning - heated the end of a corkscrew with a lighter then pressed down on the nail. After a few minutes I managed to pierce it and let some blood out! Instant relief!

Looked forward to a nice relaxing bank holiday off work...then got a call at 11am from the club captain - “Can you play today please - we’ve had a drop out?!”

Scored a few runs, didn’t aggravate the injury and we won handsomely!

On 11/13/2018 at 11:11 PM, paulshane said:

I am also here to bring the average down a bit, after a flurry of cycling, skating and extended dog walking, the last few weeks have been me sat on my arse at work and at home, slowly gaining mass, so dont worry :)

looong time ago quote , but recent life changes (my partner decided she would be better off without me and has moved out, taking our dog ? ) has meant that I've got back into keeping busy as a distraction, and through extended walks at lunchtimes at work and cycling at weekends I've dropped just short of a stone in two months, my BMI is still just over 'normal' so a bit to go yet, but this does give me a buffer to stuff my face at the festival.

Edited by paulshane
  • Like 1

On 5/24/2019 at 10:30 AM, gigpusher said:

Best of luck with it. Dunes are killers just for walking up but I bet the scenery will be nice. 

I walked with both dogs around Lyme Park that day and they tried to drag me over to any man in running gear so I got nearly as good a workout :D 

I thoroughly recommend the Woolacombe Park Run

It was my slowest ever 5km, as I can confirm it is bloody tough!

However, its beautiful to run, I had a smile on my face all the way round!

Where it is is where dogs are allowed on the beach too, my bro's pooch cheered us on!

Edited by amyg1990

3 minutes ago, amyg1990 said:

I thoroughly recommend the Woolacombe Park Run

It was my slowest ever 5km, as I can confirm it is bloody tough!

However, its beautiful to run, I had a smile on my face all the way round!

Where it is is where dogs are allowed on the beach too, my bro's pooch cheered us on!

If we're ever down that way I'll let him run it and I'll deal with the crazy dogs although I can confirm if you put my dogs on sand I'll probably get more of a work out. They turn into Tasmanian Devils once they get to the beach. Nuala my eldest dog actually smiles as soon as she realises she's on the beach. 

Well done for doing it!

Would have gone swimming today if not for the fact I got to sleep around midnight tonight and have a ton of cleaning to do before the missus gets back this evening! Feeling very good about my current fitness level, was at All Points East on Sunday and it worked well as a one day dry run.

If all goes well, I'll be fitting in 8 swims and 8 weights sessions before the festival, let's just hope I don't pull any muscles.

hahaha brilliant! My old springer was like that, couldn't keep him out the water!

My bros pooch is a old man so he's well chilled on a beach and just lies in the sand snoozing !

Ive also started a dry month(ish) from now up until the festival! All the Cornish pasties and cream teas from the weekend need to get gone! Got a race this Saturday and another the Sunday before Glastonbury! 

Help!

1 minute ago, amyg1990 said:

hahaha brilliant! My old springer was like that, couldn't keep him out the water!

My bros pooch is a old man so he's well chilled on a beach and just lies in the sand snoozing !

Ive also started a dry month(ish) from now up until the festival! All the Cornish pasties and cream teas from the weekend need to get gone! Got a race this Saturday and another the Sunday before Glastonbury! 

Help!

Just be careful not to injure yourself. In the last few weeks before the festival I get a bit paranoid about this especially since in 2016 I broke my toe about 10 days before the festival and that mud fest wasn't the year to have a broken toe! Such a slog. 

My phone seems to think I covered 17.8km at Shindig on Sunday (and 10 and 13 on the Fri and the Sat). Not sure why the Sunday was more - must have been the drum and bass I guess!

Not sure I can count that towards my exercise tally though!

2 minutes ago, Homer said:

My phone seems to think I covered 17.8km at Shindig on Sunday (and 10 and 13 on the Fri and the Sat). Not sure why the Sunday was more - must have been the drum and bass I guess!

Hey if you moved more than you usually would it counts unless you counter-balanced it with eating and drinking shitloads in which case at least you offset some of the badness! 

4 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Hey if you moved more than you usually would it counts unless you counter-balanced it with eating and drinking shitloads in which case at least you offset some of the badness! 

I moved around a lot in various ways and drank. I had the foresight to only eat three times during the times I was there though!

27 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Just be careful not to injure yourself. In the last few weeks before the festival I get a bit paranoid about this especially since in 2016 I broke my toe about 10 days before the festival and that mud fest wasn't the year to have a broken toe! Such a slog. 

gosh you poor thing!

These are only 10kms so should be fine, but thanks for pointing that out! They're more just to keep me on track/off the booze.

Training for my next half will begin after festival season!

Edited by amyg1990

25 minutes ago, Homer said:

Raving obviously counts as exercise!

20 minutes ago, Homer said:

For Shindig I got 10 miles for Thurs 

7.8 miles and 9.6 miles for Friday/Sat

14.2 miles on Sunday!!!

As you say, must have been more dnb that day.