Jump to content

The Weather Thread 2019


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You twisted my arm... put another log on the fire and pass the hip flask. It's a long yarn, but a good one. Anyone who was there in 2007 knows there was only one way to survive that weekend - and

You think they’d release the weather now the full lineup is out. 

Hi guys.  As suggested by @JoeyT - I've updated the Rainfall records summary table I put together in 2017... The historical data is taken from here:  https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/had

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Duggyfresh44 said:

I remember as I was setting my tent up, a guy next to me said 'we're not meant to get any rain st all this year!' I was camped facing uphill on Pennards. 

When I woke up on the Friday morning with three inches of rain runnimb through my tent I got out and he was stood by his tent shaking his head. Then we both looked at each other and laughed hysterically for five minutes. It was all you could do really.

I remember we all just started drinking pretty much straight away. It seemed like the obvious thing to do at the time. Friday wasn't too bad as the mud was wet and easy to wade through but the Saturday was really hard work. The mud had thickened and each footstep was a struggle. I'll never forget waking up on the Sunday though and the ground was virtually dry and then later that day I was sat on completely dry ground watching The Wailers on the Jazzworld Stage (West Holts) as the sun went down. It was as if the storm had never happened!

Just had a huge surge of excitement whilst typing this! I love it that i still feel the same crazy levels of enthusiasm for Glastonbury that I did 14 years ago.?

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

I watched the end of this unfold with chants of WELLIES WELLIES WELLIES WELLIES as a truckload got delivered, incredible year really

I was one of the disappointed gathered around Joe Bananas like a refugee that year. Didn't get any, but soon afterwards I didn't care. The signs are it will more quickly this year.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You live and learn, something new each festival as doesn't do what it did the previous year. Tactics have to change. Our first year we had to buy blankets as we were freezing overnight, this year looks like it might be lying on top of sleeping bag time. Flipping heck.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Met office have upgraded the thunderstorm and heatwave warnings to cover Tuesday and Wednesday and the whole of the south. 

--------

Level 2 heatwave alert issued for East of England, London & South east England

Current watch level: Level 2 - Alert and Readiness

Issued at: 11:51 on Fri 21 Jun 2019

There is a 70% probability of heat health criteria being met between 0800 on Tuesday and 0800 on Thursday in parts of England.

A spell of very warm and locally hot, humid weather is likely to begin this coming weekend with temperatures gradually climbing during next week, particularly in south east England where trigger criteria looks likely to be met. There is increased confidence of this happening, although details of exact temperatures remain a little uncertain at this time. With this hot weather, there is an increased risk of rain and thunderstorms especially in the North and West of England. This alert may be revised on Monday.

An update will be issued when the alert level changes in any region. Alerts are issued once a day by 0900 if required and are not subject to amendment in between standard issue times. Note that the details of the forecast weather are valid at the time of issue but may change over the period that an alert remains in force. These details will not be updated here unless the alert level also changes, the latest forecast details can be obtained at the following link: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/#?tab=map 

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/heat-health/#?tab=heatHealth

---------

To be expected at this point with what we know. 

RAISE DEFLECTOR SHEILDS

Edited by T-Mouse
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Magma said:

Put it this way. I'm in (I assume a different bit of) London, just needed a coat on my lunch break and am looking at gathering DARK clouds forming over the Canary Wharf towers.

I am also in one of the Canary Wharf towers but luckily the view out the window is blue skies and sunshine.

Edited by Hugh Jass
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Magma said:

Nice to hear of another human in the area.✌️

I'm at CW most days as well.  Sat there right now in fact!  Will wander out on the balcony in a bit to get the view of the sky over the City

 

Edit - Warm, overcast, with a nice breeze.  No dark clouds this way!

Edited by Greenelk
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Greenelk said:

I'm at CW most days as well.  Sat there right now in fact!  Will wander out on the balcony in a bit to get the view of the sky over the City

Balcony! Now that's either "there's posh for you" or it was fitted during the financial crisis as a launch pad.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kashkin said:

I was involved in a wellie riot at Joe Bananas. Not joking. People started getting a bit rowdy (basically due to mismanagement of the queue by Joe Bananas staff) and the police moved in and I ended up pressed up against a riot shield. I did eventually get some wellies though.

I was there for that too, I popped into the longdrops at the bottom of muddy lane and when I came out it was all kicking off around Joe bananas. A copper was standing on a stack of pallets with a loud hailer thingy demanding that people que sensibly and stay calm. Fantastic stuff!

Edited by Cooter
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love a re-listen to the Jo Whiley R1 broadcast on that Friday morning in 2005. Sounded like the apocalypse was at the doorstep. Blackout on site, astonished staff, chaos in every direction.

We were in Campervan East21 (?) and had the show on listening in silence permeated by myself and @The Nal brummie mate Neil down the back of the van BEGGING his mate to come to his aid when they arrived later in the day. Save him from espadrillageddon.

"I NEED WELLIEEEEESSS"

Ozzy-Osbourne-leaving-Bristol-Farms-in-B

Neil met his mate round the back of the Jazzworld when 1, espadrills went in the bin, 2, wellies went on, 3, his mate got a huge big soppy kiss.

The walkingboots were no good to you that day folks. The humble welly was king.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, T-Mouse said:

Met office have upgraded the thunderstorm and heatwave warnings to cover Tuesday and Wednesday and the whole of the south. 

--------

Level 2 heatwave alert issued for East of England, London & South east England

Current watch level: Level 2 - Alert and Readiness

Issued at: 11:51 on Fri 21 Jun 2019

There is a 70% probability of heat health criteria being met between 0800 on Tuesday and 0800 on Thursday in parts of England.

A spell of very warm and locally hot, humid weather is likely to begin this coming weekend with temperatures gradually climbing during next week, particularly in south east England where trigger criteria looks likely to be met. There is increased confidence of this happening, although details of exact temperatures remain a little uncertain at this time. With this hot weather, there is an increased risk of rain and thunderstorms especially in the North and West of England. This alert may be revised on Monday.

An update will be issued when the alert level changes in any region. Alerts are issued once a day by 0900 if required and are not subject to amendment in between standard issue times. Note that the details of the forecast weather are valid at the time of issue but may change over the period that an alert remains in force. These details will not be updated here unless the alert level also changes, the latest forecast details can be obtained at the following link: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/#?tab=map 

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/heat-health/#?tab=heatHealth

---------

To be expected at this point with what we know. 

RAISE DEFLECTOR SHEILDS

SE is level 2. 

SW IS level 1. 

Look at the map.

IMG_0318.PNG

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Cooter said:

I was there for that too, I popped into the longdrops at the bottom of muddy lane and when I came out it was all kicking off around Joe bananas. A copper was standing on a stack of pallets with a loud hailer thingy demanding that people que sensibly and stay calm. Fantastic stuff!

People never believe me when I say there was a wellie riot...

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Kashkin said:

People never believe me when I say there was a wellie riot...

I missed it by a few minutes.... was going to join the queue, but it was horrendous, so started ambling off in search of anything else to help my stricken feet. We ended up watching the scuffle from a safe distance. Probably the most moody moment I've ever witnessed at Pilton Pop!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Euphoricape said:

At the minute, pretty much perfect. I'm sure that will change by the end of the day though.

Perfect if you like the threat of torrential downpours, thunder and lighting warnings and heat stroke. ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...