Questions for Michael

Crazyfool01

Thanks CF1 for doing that! Some great stuff here to obsess over :) Excited to hear about the changes to SE Corner, I've always had a bit of an issue with that area and how dangerously crowded it can be, had more than one scary experience stuck in a crush there which puts me off going completely. Fingers crossed this change has a good impact.

I'm not happy to read about a potential ballot. If all it takes to get tickets is to add your details to a ballot and you may or may not be lucky, the demand will go up massively. All the people I know who said they "wanted to go to Glastonbury" but never got their act together enough to actually register or try for tickets on the Sunday - all of them would be in the pot, pushing up demand and reducing the chances even further. Much easier to just enter a ballot system than to actually get your arse out of bed on a Sunday.

12 minutes ago, Skoo said:

Thanks CF1 for doing that! Some great stuff here to obsess over :) Excited to hear about the changes to SE Corner, I've always had a bit of an issue with that area and how dangerously crowded it can be, had more than one scary experience stuck in a crush there which puts me off going completely. Fingers crossed this change has a good impact.

I'm not happy to read about a potential ballot. If all it takes to get tickets is to add your details to a ballot and you may or may not be lucky, the demand will go up massively. All the people I know who said they "wanted to go to Glastonbury" but never got their act together enough to actually register or try for tickets on the Sunday - all of them would be in the pot, pushing up demand and reducing the chances even further. Much easier to just enter a ballot system than to actually get your arse out of bed on a Sunday.

Totally agree.. unless people had to choose between either entering the ballot or the usual bloodbath, which seems at best unlikely, a ballot would only exacerbate the current issues.

The logistics of a ballot would be a nightmare.

How would people ensure they and partners/family had tickets?
If to do this they said all registered at one address can be entered together then people would register 50 or more at one address. They could limit it to 4 or 6 per address but then what if an address, such as student digs, had more than that?

These are just 2 or may potential dilemmas a ballot would raise.

and I hate the idea of there being a ballot anyway for all the reasons others have given.

9 hours ago, JoBalls said:

Someone on Facebook posted this...

“Nicked off Glasto chat for info 

Just got back from a fantastic evening with Emily Eavis in Taunton. She announced that:

- The headliners WON'T be: Fleetwood Mac, Led Zeppelin or Madonna!
- There will be an added area in the South East corner.
- They are looking at spreading the after midnight crowd by making Silver Hayes and The Park run later.
- No plastic ban enforced but efforts to reduce plastic sold on-site. More water stations will be built too.
- 1.5 million people applied for tickets this year
- They are looking into a part-ballot for next year

...and she mentioned deck chairs! Blamed Tesco and the like for selling them so cheap. Said they are all piled up at the end of the festival and she hates them!”

The part-ballot sounds interesting, I wonder what this means...

said it wasn't madge, glad to have that confirmed.

6 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

I like the idea of bracketing by income. It’s already common in cultural/arts venues. 

But how would it work? If I'm trying then my income, using the scale quoted on here before, is in the lowest bracket, however people I may also be trying to get tickets for are in the higher bracket? You are potentially breaking up groups of friends if one bracket can't buy for another bracket.

8 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

I like the idea of bracketing by income. It’s already common in cultural/arts venues. 

It is. It’d probably be a logistical pain in the ass and require re-registering everyone (again) but if it nudged society (or at least high profile gigs) away from the ridiculously outdated and unfair model of flat one-size-fits-all pricing structures it’d be a good thing in the long run.

9 minutes ago, slash's hat said:

But how would it work? If I'm trying then my income, using the scale quoted on here before, is in the lowest bracket, however people I may also be trying to get tickets for are in the higher bracket? You are potentially breaking up groups of friends if one bracket can't buy for another bracket.

You’d have the option of trying in a higher bracket if you wanted, that’s how I envisaged it anyway. I’m sure some people would happily opt for a higher price entry point than they’d be ‘assigned’, certainly I would.

Obviously breaking up groups wouldn’t be ideal but nor is expecting people on minimum wage to fork out the same amount of dosh as a bank manager has to.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

6 hours ago, OG said:

Every price point has it's exclusivity but if you earn over 65k you earn far too much for such privileges 

This may be because it's early, but I don't understand what you're saying here. If you earn over 65k, what privileges do you earn too much for? The privilege of going to Glastonbury?

7 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

You’d have the option of trying in a higher bracket if you wanted, that’s how I envisaged it anyway. I’m sure some people would happily opt for a higher price entry point than they’d be ‘assigned’, certainly I would.

Obviously breaking up groups wouldn’t be ideal but nor is expecting people on minimum wage to fork out the same amount of dosh as a bank manager has to.

A bank manager pays no more for a loaf of bread than anyone else, so why a festival ticket? It's not a necessity to go. What about someone not earning but loads of savings, from an inheritance for example? What should they pay?

5 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Most bank managers would fall into group 2. More likely to penalise plumbers and the like.

While I get where you're coming from, the idea has way too many pitfalls to work e.g. Lots of self employed people who bring in a lot pay themselves minimum wage while putting profits elsewhere and paying themselves dividends. 

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

This may be because it's early, but I don't understand what you're saying here. If you earn over 65k, what privileges do you earn too much for? The privilege of going to Glastonbury?

That’s what I read it as, but I left it on account of not having enough coffee inside me.

2 coffees down and it still reads like that. 

Bizarre if so. 

2 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Most bank managers would fall into group 2. More likely to penalise plumbers and the like.

While I get where you're coming from, the idea has way too many pitfalls to work e.g. Lots of self employed people who bring in a lot pay themselves minimum wage while putting profits elsewhere and paying themselves dividends. 

I fundamentally don't buy the idea that because a system is impossible to do perfectly then we shouldn't try. That's like suggesting we should just go for a flat poll tax and abandon income tax because the self employed pay themselves dividends.

- They are looking at spreading the after midnight crowd by making Silver Hayes and The Park run later.

Surely if they are looking at doing this (which is definitely a good move, of course) they'll need to alter their usual licence?

I thought the reason the SE corner was allowed to run so late was due to the distance it is from any houses nearby?

If they are hoping to change this then a consultation / application will need to happen pretty sharpish in time for 2019.

Edited by JoeyT

Just now, JoeyT said:

Surely if they are looking at doing this (which is definitely a good move, of course) they'll need to alter their usual licence?

I thought the reason the SE corner was allowed to run so late was due to the distance it is from any houses nearby?

If they are hoping to change this then a consultation / application will need to happen pretty sharpish in time for 2019.

More silent disco?

more directional speakers pointing SE?

24 minutes ago, slash's hat said:

A bank manager pays no more for a loaf of bread than anyone else, 

I get what you’re saying but it absolutely should be the case that people pay different rates for things based on their income, and if Glastonbury was at the forefront of pushing our economic system in that direction then all the better :lol: 

24 minutes ago, slash's hat said:

What about someone not earning but loads of savings, from an inheritance for example? What should they pay?

There are systems that can be and are used to take savings etc into account when deciding things like income support etc, I’m no expert but they exist and could be adapted.

22 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

This isn’t an issue if you ask people to declare supplemtary income as well as direct earnings, unless I’ve totally misread all those student loan application forms ? Obviously someone much more intelligent than me could work out the specific logistics of it, I’m just a 23 year old on an Internet forum, but it’s the idea in principle that I was trying to get at rather than the specific way they go about it :) 

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

The idea of having to apply with official income levels to a music festival is absolutely absurd and frankly an invasion of privacy and a ludacris information grab, and what would it achieve? 

I'm from Canada, Id be in the lowest bracket, but the logistics of proving that would be a nightmare.

Lets just switch it around and everyone will start getting paid the same wage, and then glastonbury tickets can be the same price for everyone. Oh wait... nvm. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

Has anyone actually said that any ballot will be based on income or are you all over-reacting again :)

I was reading that post on FB and it didn't mention anything about income. Curiously the post was edited after two hours to remove the bits about the plastic, SE corner and Park/Silver Hayes. Now the entire thing has been deleted. Make of that what you will.

5 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

Has anyone actually said that any ballot will be based on income or are you all over-reacting again :)

No it will be for greenpeace or oxfam members, ticket sellers have done similar things before for charity events. It fits with the Glastonbury way of thinking.