Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

2 minutes ago, Comfy Bean said:

Any Coventry fans here ?

Just signed Ayr’s young centre half Michael Rose on a pre-contract.

He looks a good prospect. Nice piece of business for Coventry. Not so much for us.

I saw Coventry play in the play off semis last year and was really impressed by the standard of football. I fancied them to do well in league 1, but know they lost their top scorer to reading.

Have many Ayr players had any success south of the border in recent times?

17 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I saw Coventry play in the play off semis last year and was really impressed by the standard of football. I fancied them to do well in league 1, but know they lost their top scorer to reading.

Have many Ayr players had any success south of the border in recent times?

Unfortunately, Ayr haven’t had a great deal of success ever :-(

Steve Nicol went from us to Liverpool in the early 80’s and is probably our best player story. I remember him for Liverpool and Scotland but too young to remember him at Ayr.

We played a small part in the career of Alex Ferguson.

Ally MacLeod might be our most famous name and most things at the club are rightly named after Ally. He managed the most exciting team I’ve ever watched back in the late 80’s. Great times.

Edited by Comfy Bean

6 minutes ago, Comfy Bean said:

Unfortunately, Ayr haven’t had a great deal of success ever ?

Steve Nicol went from us to Liverpool in the early 80’s and is probably our best player story. I remember him for Liverpool and Scotland but too young to remember him at Ayr.

Ally MacLeod might be our most famous name and most things at the club are rightly named after Ally. He managed the most exciting team I’ve ever watched back in the late 80’s. Great times.

Through the wonder of Google I have discovered you had a keeper called Marius Rovde who went South, he came to play with us for half a season!

5 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

Unfortunately, Ayr haven’t had a great deal of success ever :-(

Allan McInally

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

Thats Huddersfield defo down. Probably Fulham too.

You'd think so wouldn't you. They worked miracles getting to the Prem and staying up tho. Fulham just aren't right defensively. They've got some decent forward players but nothing at the back. 

2 hours ago, jyoung said:

You'd think so wouldn't you. They worked miracles getting to the Prem and staying up tho. Fulham just aren't right defensively. They've got some decent forward players but nothing at the back. 

I genuinely think Fulham have one of the best forward lines in the league. Possibly the best outside the top 6. Mitrovic, supported by 2 of Schurrle/Sessegnon/Babel is an awesome front 3. It's got absolutely everything you'd want. Problem though, is they've got a league 1 defense and a mid-table Championship midfield. They go down and the players other clubs will poach is so obvious that I can't even see them coming straight back.

51 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Is Sessegnon actually that good. For all the hype he came with, I haven't seen much delivery.

I think he's really quite good. To me the question is whether he can add consistency to his game and contribute when he's off the ball, or whether he'll be a 2-magic games/season player.

15 hours ago, The Nal said:

Thats Huddersfield defo down. Probably Fulham too.

you're probably right, tho I reckon new geezer at Huddersfield should be given more than a few days to turn it round.

I don't think yesterday's result says much about whether he will or won't. They were always likely to get a spanking from a Chelsea side bouncing back from their worst loss in a long while.

11 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Is Sessegnon actually that good. For all the hype he came with, I haven't seen much delivery.

I thought this too but also saw that he has second most chances created and third most assists of all teens in Europe's biggest leagues. Gone fair unnoticed though in my opinion. Or at least I haven't been overwhelmed...

11 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

I genuinely think Fulham have one of the best forward lines in the league. Possibly the best outside the top 6.

Wolves pretty decent with Jota and Jiménez also but yeah, Fulham have some firepower in Mitrovic and Schurrle.

The sad thing about Fulham is they're going to concede 2 goals virtually every game so that attack is nearly irrelevant for keeping them up. 

I generally think it's better for football when teams like that stay up that the likes of Hodgson Palace and Rafa Newcastle. Obviously my emotional preferences run the other way but staying up off 0-0s and 1-0s and avoiding spankings isn't a great advertisement for the league. 

3 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

After going to watch the Cardiff v Huddersfield game a few weeks ago I''m going for one (or both) of them.

I'm not just talking dull on the pitch, at least with Cardiff Warnock can be interesting, Hughton is a nice guy, but very dull.

I watched Brighton yesterday and can't name 5 of their players. I think I could be in a room with their entire squad and not know who any of them were!

22 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

I think he's really quite good. To me the question is whether he can add consistency to his game and contribute when he's off the ball, or whether he'll be a 2-magic games/season player.

Sessegnon’s choice of club in the summer will be huge. Hopefully he’ll go somewhere he can play regularly at a high level and not get swallowed up at City or Chelsea.