2019 Stage Predictions

dentalplan

3 minutes ago, battleborn said:

Ok. I'll admit some of the line up is a bit ambitous. Is there anything in it you think is realistic? So that I can use that as a starting point for a more realistic line up (by pulling up old Glasto posters)?

The headliners would headline.

Disclosure would be an appropriate Other headliner.

Basically look at past lineups and see similar kinds of acts that could play next year and are about the same size of those acts when they played. I think quite a lot of predictions here (if you skip jj200’s) are realistic and a decent starting point.

1 hour ago, battleborn said:

As far as there solo careers go, Noels has been infinitely more succesful so of course Liam would sub. I'm also expecting them to have made up their differences by then, in which case you can just replace those slots with Oasis, or a cross-over Oasis section in the middle.

Liam’s been smashing Noel lately in regards to solo career trajectories, Beady Eye were shite but he’s carving out a good reputation on his own. High Flying Birds get worse every album. I’m a cliche Noel fan who massively disliked Liam but he stormed it at Leeds last year and has gone to get great spots at other festivals as well as releasing a surprisingly half decent record.

A decent line up prediction will be one that doesn’t completely cater to your own personal tastes, ignore your favourites and must-sees. 

Edited by Retro P

3 hours ago, battleborn said:

Cheers. Probably a better starting point that "artists I like" and trying to cram them in somewhere. 

I've never really gotten this point of view? I get trying to stick your favourites in but otherwise surely you'll just end up with lots of clashes if you wanna see everyone?

10 minutes ago, battleborn said:

There's always one you like more than the others though. 

Yeah but say your favourite act is headlining Pyramid, if your 2nd favourite act is headlining Other at the same time that's really annoying, and it's much nicer to just be missing stuff you don't wanna see rather than being annoyed that you're missing one of your favourite acts potentially putting on a brilliant set that you can't be there to see.

Case in point: Last year on the Friday night I had to miss The Flaming Lips, Anderson .Paak and Lorde for Radiohead. Radiohead are my favourite band but The Flaming Lips and Anderson .Paak were probably in the top 5 acts I was most looking forward to seeing at the festival, and I definitely wanted to see Lorde, too. Now, it was still an easy decision for me to see Radiohead, but it's annoying that I had to miss out on those other sets (although I did catch The Flaming Lips' encore as they finished after Radiohead).

1 hour ago, battleborn said:

This is where festivals with stages really close together come in to their own (like T was at Balado) then you always have the option to switch bands half way through. Although generally festivals do a job of not clashing bands with similar fanbases 

Hate doing that even when it's possible tbf, rather just stick one and pick with it. Obviously you sometimes get overlaps where you can see part of one set before/after the other set.

Anyway Glasto isn't as bad as you probably expect in terms of how long it takes to get from stage to stage; most of the main stages are situated towards the centre of the site and you can get from one to another in like 10 mins.

3 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Yeah but say your favourite act is headlining Pyramid, if your 2nd favourite act is headlining Other at the same time that's really annoying, and it's much nicer to just be missing stuff you don't wanna see rather than being annoyed that you're missing one of your favourite acts potentially putting on a brilliant set that you can't be there to see.

Case in point: Last year on the Friday night I had to miss The Flaming Lips, Anderson .Paak and Lorde for Radiohead. Radiohead are my favourite band but The Flaming Lips and Anderson .Paak were probably in the top 5 acts I was most looking forward to seeing at the festival, and I definitely wanted to see Lorde, too. Now, it was still an easy decision for me to see Radiohead, but it's annoying that I had to miss out on those other sets (although I did catch The Flaming Lips' encore as they finished after Radiohead).

I did debate the schlep up to the park after Rqdiohead, but it just seemed like way too much effort at the time. More power to you for making the effort!

1 minute ago, Quark said:

I did debate the schlep up to the park after Rqdiohead, but it just seemed like way too much effort at the time. More power to you for making the effort!

Oh I didn't make the effort on purpose haha. I hadn't even considered the fact that I could see the end of Flips because I thought by the time we made it to the Park they'd be finished, but we were almost back at our tents at Arcadia when my mate pointed out they were still on as we could see the lights etc. So we legged it there and as we arrived they were walking off stage. We were slightly peeved we'd ran only to just miss them, but then realised they were inflating some stage props or something, so we thought maybe there's the encore to come. They then came back out and did She Don't Use Jelly and Do You Realize?, which were amazing tbh. Really wish I could have seen the full set.

Just now, Gucci Piggy said:

Oh I didn't make the effort on purpose haha. I hadn't even considered the fact that I could see the end of Flips because I thought by the time we made it to the Park they'd be finished, but we were almost back at our tents at Arcadia when my mate pointed out they were still on as we could see the lights etc. So we legged it there and as we arrived they were walking off stage. We were slightly peeved we'd ran only to just miss them, but then realised they were inflating some stage props or something, so we thought maybe there's the encore to come. They then came back out and did She Don't Use Jelly and Do You Realize?, which were amazing tbh. Really wish I could have seen the full set.

Fair play. Given the encore would you still have taken Radiohead over Flips if you had to choose?

I remain happy with my choice

Just now, Quark said:

Fair play. Given the encore would you still have taken Radiohead over Flips if you had to choose?

I remain happy with my choice

Yeah for sure, Radiohead are my favourite band so couldn't miss them headlining the Pyramid, and it was one of my favourite gigs ever, too. Just made me more eager to catch The Flips next time I get the chance to!

Updated me thing with it being a new month and all that.

Py: FOALS, Iggy Pop, Ms. Lauryn Hill, J Hus, Everything Everything, The Psychedelic Furs
OS: Jamie xx, Silk City, Courteeners, Chvrches, Friendly Fires, Sigrid, Parquet Courts
WH: Run-DMC, Chaka Khan, St. Paul & the Broken Bones, IamDDB
JP: Krept x Konan, St. Vincent, Jessie J, The Horrors
Pa: My Bloody Valentine, Django Django, Yaeji, Julia Holter

Py: FLEETWOOD MAC, The War on Drugs, Dua Lipa, Christine & the Queens, Gnarls Barkley, Joan Armatrading
OS: Catfish & the Bottlemen, Wolf Alice, James Bay, Years & Years, Lily Allen, You Me at Six, Greta Van Fleet
WH: Jon Hopkins, Jorja Smith, Jungle, Toots & the Maytals
JP: FKA twigs, Editors, Car Seat Headrest, Unknown Mortal Orchestra
Pa: Caribou, Beach House, Shame, Mount Kimbie

Py: RIHANNA, Bastille, Duran Duran, Kylie, Loyle Carner, Mulatu Astatke
OS: The Streets, Ian Brown, Hot Chip, Blossoms, Wizkid, Pale Waves, Frank Carter & the Rattlesnakes
WH: Alabama Shakes, Young Fathers, Tom Misch, Rex Orange County
JP: The Vaccines, Lykke Li, Charli XCX, Modest Mouse
Pa: Courtney Barnett, Sleater-Kinney, AJ Tracey, Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever

32 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Twod a pyramid sub? Really? 

Yeah. Pyramid subs are the wildcard. The War on Drugs have stepped up quite a fair bit and are easily comparable to a bunch of other acts that have subbed in recent times and the best suggestion for critically acclaimed but ultimately awkward sub slot.

Though I'm prepared to step away from that prediction if they don't announce a big UK date as part of their winter European tour in the next week or two.

edit: actually even without that, they've got numbers as big as other recent Pyramid subs so they can ride.

Edited by dentalplan

13 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Last time The Psychedelic Furs played they headlined the Pyramid on the Friday, now they’re opening it. That said, it was 1986.

It wouldn't be opening, would be about 2pm but I didn't predict the acts below them. But aye, a fair drop but still getting on the Pyramid after such an interval would be decent going.

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I genuinely thought that War and the lads had fucked it with their recent serving of diminishing returns.

That's not a popular belief, I don't think. Sold well, pretty acclaimed, won a Grammy for the faaamly, plenty think they upped their game but I'm not certain yet.

4 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah. Pyramid subs are the wildcard. The War on Drugs have stepped up quite a fair bit and are easily comparable to a bunch of other acts that have subbed in recent times and the best suggestion for critically acclaimed but ultimately awkward sub slot.

Though I'm prepared to step away from that prediction if they don't announce a big UK date as part of their winter European tour in the next week or two.

edit: actually even without that, they've got numbers as big as other recent Pyramid subs so they can ride.

I dunno man they've never really had a big song or a mainstream breakthrough and they don't yet have the legacy to make up for that. They'd be the smallest act to do it for some time and add to that how horribly they'd lose that crowd and it'd be not just a weak booking but a bad one. Give them a headline slot on a stage where they'd be appreciated. 

They'd do well to hold the crowd any less than Beck did. I didn't see The National but sounds like that was dead too. But yeah they're both more established so not a perfect comparison. And Tame Impala who were probably on a similar level to what TWOD are on now at least had The Less I Know The Better and an advert song or two. I thought they were absolutely brilliant but I was hammered so I didn't really grasp what the general consensus was on them.

5 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Updated me thing with it being a new month and all that.

Py: FOALS, Iggy Pop, Ms. Lauryn Hill, J Hus, Everything Everything, The Psychedelic Furs
OS: Jamie xx, Silk City, Courteeners, Chvrches, Friendly Fires, Sigrid, Parquet Courts
WH: Run-DMC, Chaka Khan, St. Paul & the Broken Bones, IamDDB
JP: Krept x Konan, St. Vincent, Jessie J, The Horrors
Pa: My Bloody Valentine, Django Django, Yaeji, Julia Holter

Py: FLEETWOOD MAC, The War on Drugs, Dua Lipa, Christine & the Queens, Gnarls Barkley, Joan Armatrading
OS: Catfish & the Bottlemen, Wolf Alice, James Bay, Years & Years, Lily Allen, You Me at Six, Greta Van Fleet
WH: Jon Hopkins, Jorja Smith, Jungle, Toots & the Maytals
JP: FKA twigs, Editors, Car Seat Headrest, Unknown Mortal Orchestra
Pa: Caribou, Beach House, Shame, Mount Kimbie

Py: RIHANNA, Bastille, Duran Duran, Kylie, Loyle Carner, Mulatu Astatke
OS: The Streets, Ian Brown, Hot Chip, Blossoms, Wizkid, Pale Waves, Frank Carter & the Rattlesnakes
WH: Alabama Shakes, Young Fathers, Tom Misch, Rex Orange County
JP: The Vaccines, Lykke Li, Charli XCX, Modest Mouse
Pa: Courtney Barnett, Sleater-Kinney, AJ Tracey, Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever

Looks fair but I'd probably swap Catfish with The Streets.

Would be my first time not seeing a Pyramid headliner but I could live with:

Lauryn Hill > Iggy Pop > MBV

Car Seat Headrest > Beach House > Jon Hopkins/FKA Twigs

RBCF > Charli XCX > Young Fathers/Sleater-Kinney > The Streets/Courtney Barnett

36 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

I dunno man they've never really had a big song or a mainstream breakthrough and they don't yet have the legacy to make up for that. They'd be the smallest act to do it for some time and add to that how horribly they'd lose that crowd and it'd be not just a weak booking but a bad one. Give them a headline slot on a stage where they'd be appreciated. 

24 minutes ago, Odessa said:

They'd do well to hold the crowd any less than Beck did. I didn't see The National but sounds like that was dead too. But yeah they're both more established so not a perfect comparison. And Tame Impala who were probably on a similar level to what TWOD are on now at least had The Less I Know The Better and an advert song or two. I thought they were absolutely brilliant but I was hammered so I didn't really grasp what the general consensus was on them.

Fair shouts. I can compare them to recent Pyramid subs sales-wise and on venues-played but there are many ways - legacy being one - that they fall way behind. I don't think they'd lose the crowd in front of the dad rock pals waiting for Fleetwood Mac.

I still like their shout better than generic festival subheadliners across the board though.

4 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Looks fair but I'd probably swap Catfish with The Streets.

Would be my first time not seeing a Pyramid headliner but I could live with:

Lauryn Hill > Iggy Pop > MBV

Car Seat Headrest > Beach House > Jon Hopkins/FKA Twigs

RBCF > Charli XCX > Young Fathers/Sleater-Kinney > The Streets/Courtney Barnett

Imagine saying with a straight face that yer aff to miss the Editors. Who are you?

9 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Fair shouts. I can compare them to recent Pyramid subs sales-wise and on venues-played but there are many ways - legacy being one - that they fall way behind. I don't think they'd lose the crowd in front of the dad rock pals waiting for Fleetwood Mac.

I still like their shout better than generic festival subheadliners across the board though.

Imagine saying with a straight face that yer aff to miss the Editors. Who are you?

Lmao I still regret seeing them over Ezra Furman in 2016. Especially because Couchy forced me to meet him and LondonTom in the crowd.

And yeah out of your subs I think Bastille are the worst shout.