Lineup 2020

randlfan

5 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

Perhaps.. but this is a festival who booked G'NR, had The Libertines comeback, outbid Download for the Rage reunion etc. Who these days on the line up would fetch similar kinds of money? 

You don't really see reformed bands playing R/L that much either, when it would be the festival they used to be nailed on for. 

Eminem, Foo Fighters and Kendrick?

Then which recently reformed bands would you suggest play? 

Edited by Steve1000
fackorf Mr. Plan

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Kendrick Lamar is reported to be the most expensive headliner they've ever booked.

And who's reunited that would make sense as a headliner in recent years?

I could see Kendrick being pricey. This year's except Foos, were probably quite cheap. 

I didn't necessarily mean headline, I just meant on the undercard as well. 

3 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

Eminem, Foo Fighters and Kendrick?

Then which recently reformed bands would you suggest play? 

Yeah I said Foos and Kendrick, I guess Eminem too would be a lot. 

I didn't necessarily just mean headlining, on the undercard as well. They've got The Distillers this year so that's one. 

1 minute ago, Chinaski_ said:

I could see Kendrick being pricey. This year's except Foos, were probably quite cheap. 

I didn't necessarily mean headline, I just meant on the undercard as well. 

i think despite last years lacklustre headliners, the undercard was strong.

This year also has a pretty good undercard, lots of great bookings

2 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

Why do you think Post Malone would be cheap?

7 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

Because he was 5th down last year and isn't a massive headline name over here. I wouldn't be surprised if they booked him early too. 

1 minute ago, dum surfer said:

i think despite last years lacklustre headliners, the undercard was strong.

This year also has a pretty good undercard, lots of great bookings

I think considering who's around and who fits an RnL booking, this year's headliners and undercards are pretty strong. A lot of people wouldn't have minded RB headlining 

11 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

Mate, just accept that you’re out of touch and stop worrying about a festival for 16 year olds. Cos you’re miles off 

Fair enough. The last act I can remember making such a huge leap on the line up in one year was The Strokes. Just thought he'd be everywhere if he suddenly got that massive. 

Edited by Chinaski_

2 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

Fair enough. The last act I can remember making such a huge leap on the line up in one year was The Strokes. Just thought he'd be everywhere if he suddenly that got massive. 

He is ridiculo massive. I was way too young to know how ubiquitous The Strokes were back then, but I’d imagine it’s neck on neck, or that Posty is bigger now.

2 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

He is ridiculo massive. I was way too young to know how ubiquitous The Strokes were back then, but I’d imagine it’s neck on neck, or that Posty is bigger now.

The Strokes were everywhere and were "cool", although about a year later all the hype died down and they weren't that big anymore. I'll admit I only know of Post Malone through him being on the R/L line up, I just haven't heard any of his stuff on tv or anything. Although I suppose music has changed now and everything is based on spotify and youtube hits. 

57 minutes ago, bigcharlie65 said:

I think VW will co-headline with Liam Gallagher and they'll have a strong undercard like Tyler the Creator so yeah 

Vampire Weekend / Liam Gallagher // Tyler The Creator 

Drake // The Streets 

Tame Impala / Catfish and the Bottleman // Skepta 

Not bloody likely.

1 hour ago, Jericode said:

Can we not just have Foals headline outright? They've already co-headlined, just give them the bump up.

Depends who else is available and won’t take less than headline. If Liam Gallagher is free then they’d be daft not to package him in with Foals or someone like that. I don’t see them affording the same treatment to BMTH or Billie Eilish though. - I think either would be decent sub choices and no more.

For those not clued in, a subheadliner is like a coheadliner that plays first at each site but without being labelled a headliner. Think some of y’all forgetting these exist.

• Upvote 2

On 6/29/2019 at 11:59 PM, Chinaski_ said:

I can see The Killers being the "irrelevant band no one cares about anymore" booking this year. 

Pretty sure a lot of people still care about them, more so than KoL last year thats for sure like Mr Brightside is a classic for young people and its not like they don't have other big hits. Hard to say nobody cares about them anymore with a glasto headline set and like 5 number one albums or something ? 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, gfa said:

Pretty sure a lot of people still care about them, more so than KoL last year thats for sure like Mr Brightside is a classic for young people and its not like they don't have other big hits. Hard to say nobody cares about them anymore with a glasto headline set and like 5 number one albums or something ? 

Do they appeal to a GCSE leavers crowd though? 

16 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I don’t see them affording the same treatment to BMTH or Billie Eilish though. - I think either would be decent sub choices and no more.

But they've packaged FOB, Panic! and TOP as coheadliners the last few years even though they've all essentially been subs. That's what I was getting at with the Billie/Foals thing. If BMTH were to be booked next year I reckon they'll give them coheadliner status too. They never seem to repeat Main Stage subs at R&L for whatever reason - might just be coincidence or a conscious decision.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

But they've packaged FOB, Panic! and TOP as coheadliners the last few years even though they've all essentially been subs.

They’ve had normal subs as well though.

I can’t see ‘not repeating subs’ being a conscious decision. Bumping BMTH up just because they’re back albeit smaller doesn’t make sense.

Edited by dentalplan

9 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They’ve had normal subs as well though.

I can’t see ‘not repeating subs’ being a conscious decision. Bumping BMTH up just because they’re back albeit smaller doesn’t make sense.

Were FOB bigger in 2018 compared to 2016 though?

Idk just the sort of thing I could see R&L doing. Don’t think they’ll necessarily be booked next year, but it wouldn’t surprise me.

1 minute ago, Chinaski_ said:

Do they appeal to a GCSE leavers crowd though? 

Mr brightside still gets played at the end of every party (i'm 18) and like my friends anyway know a lot more killers than foos/kol/muse who we have had as the big rock band in the past few years. Definitely a strong pick for that slot and would sell well I reckon - for the leavers crowd I reckon the crowd for their set would be pretty big and it would convince more people to buy a ticket outside of their usual genre vs foos for example, nobody not interested in rock/indie would get a ticket 'just to see them' like how people would for killers. I guess what i'm saying is killers have more mainstream crossover appeal for the people coming to r&l than possibly any other headliner in that genre, other than AM maybe but thats just because they'd get dragged along.

I think one of Stormzy or Killers are pretty nailed on, not sure if Killers will still be touring next year though but they have done glasto so it must be R&L next tour cycle/next year if still around surely unless they do BST? I think this would go down really well:

Stormzy

Foals/Catfish

Killers

if not both in one year then swap stormzy for travis scott and if not killers then replace them with AM maybe, although there does tend to be an american headliner most years so maybe swap foals for someone like, as much as nobody here wants it - Imagine Dragons.

I think either Stormzy/Killers next year seem pretty likely, catfish they would be mad not to get I think. Foals I would love but they are touring pretty heavily this year doing lots of festivals, big shows across the country etc so maybe in 2021 they would be better, I don't think they could solo headline until then just because the demand will have died down after their dates this year.