Mark E Smith

CaledonianGonzo

Had my weirdest gig experience watching The Fall, he did most of the gig from the bogs having stormed off stage, my parents used to drink in the same pubs as him in Prestwich when they were growing up, he used to sit in the corner nursing half pints for hours not speaking to anyone - which will come as absolutely no surprise to anyone. 

8 minutes ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

Had my weirdest gig experience watching The Fall, he did most of the gig from the bogs having stormed off stage

I'm no expert but I think there was a period when that was his regular modus operandi. Certainly iys what happened the last time I saw The Fall.  He came back onstage for an encore of Mr Pharmacist but by that point the place had pretty much emptied out.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'm no expert but I think there was a period when that was his regular modus operandi. Certainly iys what happened the last time I saw The Fall.  He came back onstage for an encore of Mr Pharmacist but by that point the place had pretty much emptied out.

Koko about 4 years ago by any chance?

Edited by jobleakley1
Spelling error

2 hours ago, danbailey80 said:

On refugees: "What I don't understand is why are all the men young? Why do they leave their wives and families at home? Two million fellas could beat any army. What if my dad went to a neutral country?"

Vile wife-beating bully.

I think you're probably right about him - I wouldn't have voted him for Prime Minister and probably wouldn't even have enjoyed meeting him down the pub.  But that doesn't stop me from enjoying the originality of the music and the comic, confrontational theatrics.   If a bland, 'nice,' PR-constructed artist was found to be a secret Mark E Smith, I'd despise them for it, but I can't feel the same about a seemingly self-destructive artist who never tried to portray himself as anything other than an unpleasant pub drunk.

• Like 1

On 25/01/2018 at 3:54 PM, danbailey80 said:

On refugees: "What I don't understand is why are all the men young? Why do they leave their wives and families at home? Two million fellas could beat any army. What if my dad went to a neutral country?"

Vile wife-beating bully.

Strangely, the dozens of ex band members he "bullied" and the wives he "beat" rarely say anything negative about him, Brix even kept the name Smith after the divorce, she still uses it today. Maybe there was a bit more to the man than you think. You certainly haven't realised how funny Mark could be, I rarely saw a Fall gig where I didn't laugh out loud at something he did or said.

Here's what Brix had to say about him passing,

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUYbQWHXcAAeGbl.jpg:large

• Upvote 1