Elton John

Sawdusty surfer

19 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Fresh talk suggests Elton John is not a fan of Glastonbury.

Is this the end of the Reg Dwight Dream? Or are we...

...still standing?

Definitely still standing here. He may well not like the look of the place - he’s entitled to his view - but describing it as a corporate shithole when he just played BST and makes a habit of touring Premier League stadiums would be a bit off. 

29 minutes ago, Mardy said:

I think the truth is that he really doesn't give a fuck about the festival and probably has no interest in playing. 

I think there's an element of truth to this, but I also think he's savvy enough to realise what a place it holds in British popular culture.

Just saw him at Vicarage Road tonight. I had a good time, but whether he plays the farm or not now doesn't bother me in the slightest.

His show is like a typical legends slot. You'll enjoy yourself but it won't necessarily be a performance for the ages. Personally, after tonight, I think he'd be a bit of a crap headliner. Yeah he's got the tunes and the star power, but he doesn't have the ability to perform and put on a Pyramid-headlining show.

Having said that... get him on the legends slot for the Sunday locals and the wine mums and it will be the one of the most iconic sets the festival's ever seen.

Weird one.

35 minutes ago, K2SO said:

Just saw him at Vicarage Road tonight. I had a good time, but whether he plays the farm or not now doesn't bother me in the slightest.

His show is like a typical legends slot. You'll enjoy yourself but it won't necessarily be a performance for the ages. Personally, after tonight, I think he'd be a bit of a crap headliner. Yeah he's got the tunes and the star power, but he doesn't have the ability to perform and put on a Pyramid-headlining show.

Having said that... get him on the legends slot for the Sunday locals and the wine mums and it will be the one of the most iconic sets the festival's ever seen.

Weird one.

I completely agree with this. I saw him about twenty years ago in one of those very staid Hyde Park shows, he was and is a great frontman and it’s a very professional and well done show (I bet it’s barely changed in twenty years) but it’s really not headline stuff as far as I’m concerned. He has stacks of great tunes but they’re all quite singalong, there’s no benefit to them happening in the dark at all, it’s very far from danger and excitement. The best possible afternoon legend slot, or an underwhelming headline spot? 
I know which one I’d want him to do. But he’s Elton John, he has an ego the size of the moon. He will insist on headlining, and will scoff at the amount offered, and I don’t think he’ll do it. 

55 minutes ago, K2SO said:

Weird one.

15 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

I completely agree with this. I saw him about twenty years ago in one of those very staid Hyde Park shows, he was and is a great frontman and it’s a very professional and well done show (I bet it’s barely changed in twenty years) but it’s really not headline stuff as far as I’m concerned. He has stacks of great tunes but they’re all quite singalong, there’s no benefit to them happening in the dark at all, it’s very far from danger and excitement. The best possible afternoon legend slot, or an underwhelming headline spot? 
I know which one I’d want him to do. But he’s Elton John, he has an ego the size of the moon. He will insist on headlining, and will scoff at the amount offered, and I don’t think he’ll do it. 

I've also seen him tonight at Vicarage Road and as much as I enjoyed it, I echo it would not go down on the Pyramid as much as people may think.  

I'm content that I've seen him now. He put his all in, he's a good showman but he wouldn't come across well I don't think. His voice does struggle on a lot of parts which you would understand.

I also don't think he'd do it but it would definitely be better in the Legend slot.

For many reasons I really don't see Glastonbury seeing it as a must book now. 

18 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I've also seen him tonight at Vicarage Road and as much as I enjoyed it, I echo it would not go down on the Pyramid as much as people may think.  

I'm content that I've seen him now. He put his all in, he's a good showman but he wouldn't come across well I don't think. His voice does struggle on a lot of parts which you would understand.

I also don't think he'd do it but it would definitely be better in the Legend slot.

For many reasons I really don't see Glastonbury seeing it as a must book now. 

I think one of the biggest things holding him back is that he can barely even stand up and move around the stage. In the last couple of weeks I've seen Jagger and McCartney move around the stage looking very well (running around in the former's case!) whereas Elton, the youngest if the three, sat down to sing a song which didn't require him to even touch the piano.

He can play the tunes, but he unfortunately doesn't have the physical ability to put on a Pyramid headline show. He's got the less movement ability than my nan

8 hours ago, K2SO said:

I think one of the biggest things holding him back is that he can barely even stand up and move around the stage. In the last couple of weeks I've seen Jagger and McCartney move around the stage looking very well (running around in the former's case!) whereas Elton, the youngest if the three, sat down to sing a song which didn't require him to even touch the piano.

He can play the tunes, but he unfortunately doesn't have the physical ability to put on a Pyramid headline show. He's got the less movement ability than my nan

Yeah I agree. The time has passed and the time has been there by the dozen for Glastonbury to have got him.

He won't take an almost novelty slot I doubt but he'd be a poor choice for a headliner now imo.

I think he's very much aware that he can't keep going much longer. 

I'll be honest, not being there in the flesh clearly has a knock-on effect - but found seeing Elton John up at Stadium of Light the other week more exciting on the whole than watching Paul McCartney atop the Pyramid on the television.

Imagine that plays a huge part in it, and Macca's last hour is clearly one of those holy-crap! moments festival attendees may well talk about for years to come, but still.

Hyde Park crowds are notoriously bad. Are they going to be so staid on a Sunday night for big Reg Dwight's banging songbook then?

4 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Yeah I agree. The time has passed and the time has been there by the dozen for Glastonbury to have got him.

He won't take an almost novelty slot I doubt but he'd be a poor choice for a headliner now imo.

I think he's very much aware that he can't keep going much longer. 

It was quite sad last night. Before he played Your Song, he spoke to the crowd and said something along the lines of "I just want to say a few words, because I'm never going to get to do this ever again"

3 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

I'll be honest, not being there in the flesh clearly has a knock-on effect - but found seeing Elton John up at Stadium of Light the other week more exciting on the whole than watching Paul McCartney atop the Pyramid on the television.

Imagine that plays a huge part in it, and Macca's last hour is clearly one of those holy-crap! moments festival attendees may well talk about for years to come, but still.

Hyde Park crowds are notoriously bad. Are they going to be so staid on a Sunday night for big Reg Dwight's banging songbook then?

I saw McCartney at Glastonbury, The Stones at Hyde Park and Elton at Watford in the last week and a half. In my opinion, Elton's show is barely worth even talking about next to the other two, regardless of the venue.

There was a good atmosphere around Vicarage Road last night. Genuinely, people had travelled from all over the world to come to Watford, which I found amusing. I met people from Italy, The US, Australia, Argentina, Germany... But still, his show overall made me feel like it would fall a bit flat on the Pyramid, regardless of how famous he is or how many hits he can pull out.

9 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Thing is with Macca though, it's not the first time he's ever done a last hour like that, that is what he does on tour.

He did the same on tour when I saw him.

3 minutes ago, K2SO said:

It was quite sad last night. Before he played Your Song, he spoke to the crowd and said something along the lines of "I just want to say a few words, because I'm never going to get to do this ever again"

I saw McCartney at Glastonbury, The Stones at Hyde Park and Elton at Watford in the last week and a half. In my opinion, Elton's show is barely worth even talking about next to the other two, regardless of the venue.

There was a good atmosphere around Vicarage Road last night. Genuinely, people had travelled from all over the world to come to Watford, which I found amusing. I met people from Italy, The US, Australia, Argentina, Germany... But still, his show overall made me feel like it would fall a bit flat on the Pyramid, regardless of how famous he is or how many hits he can pull out.

I don't think he's got the hits in the same way as Macca though but I'm a much bigger beatles fan.

Elton did feel a bit special at the end to have seen him but also a bit of a I've ticked it iff and at Watford. I'd have never gone though if it wasn't warford.

4 minutes ago, K2SO said:

Aye, it is a gradual fear.

That being said, saw Elton in Hyde Park on the Radio 2 Live gigs a few years ago, and they were properly up for that.

Maybe the ship has sailed. But those movable dates certainly still beg questions.

3 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Thing is with Macca though, it's not the first time he's ever done a last hour like that, that is what he does on tour.

Oh, no, I am aware it's his usual vibe. I'm just saying the rest of his show paled in comparison on the box to the energy of that final hour, for me. Elton hit a much more even plateau throughout.

1 minute ago, thewayiam said:

I don't think he's got the hits in the same way as Macca though but I'm a much bigger beatles fan.

Elton did feel a bit special at the end to have seen him but also a bit of a I've ticked it iff and at Watford. I'd have never gone though if it wasn't warford.

Watford, isn't it. The spiritual home.

I think he'd be a fantastic headliner with the glasto crowd. His own shows will have the much older audience who have hundreds to throw at the good seats which will dull down the atmosphere

Elton is very much in it for the money though which glasto probably wouldn't match

Would love to see it but don't think the money will cut it for his massive shopping addiction

7 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

I think he'd be a fantastic headliner with the glasto crowd. His own shows will have the much older audience who have hundreds to throw at the good seats which will dull down the atmosphere

Elton is very much in it for the money though which glasto probably wouldn't match

Would love to see it but don't think the money will cut it for his massive shopping addiction

Oh, that is a point. I was in the cheap seats, side of stage in the gods at Stadium of Light - they were released very late on and cost only £50.

Me and my friend were flabbergasted at the amount of people in front floor seating that seemed to be constantly streaming to the bar or to the merch stands down below us from the very first song.

Also, a bloke in a bucket hat got into a scrap with six security guards during Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me.

22 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

No of course not, but does anyone? There's not a single peron on planet earth that could sit there and genuinely argue that their favourite band has as many hits as The Beatles, unless maybe you're arguing in favour of The Stones.

Yeah, I'm the same. I got free tickets through work. I'd not have gone otherwise.

6 minutes ago, K2SO said:

No of course not, but does anyone? There's not a single peron on planet earth that could sit there and genuinely argue that their favourite band has as many hits as The Beatles, unless maybe you're arguing in favour of The Stones.

Yeah, I'm the same. I got free tickets through work. I'd not have gone otherwise.

No disrespect to the Stones, but given McCartney's post-Beatles success, think the argument might be dead in the water before it even gets rolling.

Elton does have a shedload of hits though.

2 hours ago, thewayiam said:

He brings out Bruce Springsteen for Glory Days every night on tour? 😄

It wasn't just the run of songs - the guests, the fireworks, it all came together in that last hour.

But that does raise the question of if Elton would be arsed with any of that, or just want to do the exact same show he's always done.

I've always thought the Elton would be legend slot before he would ever headline. I don't think he's played because of his notorious petulant behaviour. I can imagine the Eavii cant be arsed with it, or there has been a fall out.

The annual rumour needs putting to rest, and along with it the dreaded spectre that the Queen tribute band might turn up one time.

10 minutes ago, ClementsMike said:

the dreaded spectre that the Queen tribute band might turn up one time.

FFS, i can barely think of anything worse. Thankfully due to badgers its very unlikely 😄

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1