Elton John

Sawdusty surfer

1 hour ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Ducks* Elton’s current setlist is more hits heavy than whatever Macca was noodling about with for the first hour and a half at Glasto 

Never been more bemused by the first part of a headliner. Just felt so dead. 

Just now, Zacko said:

I feel like if I hadn’t done my setlist research prior to the set then I undoubtedly would’ve felt this way. I really enjoyed it, but there was a lot of murmuring around me of ‘what are these songs/when the fuck is he gonna play the bangers?!’. Not a set curated for a festival or casual fans at all (the first half, anyway). 

13 hours ago, K2SO said:

Just saw him at Vicarage Road tonight. I had a good time, but whether he plays the farm or not now doesn't bother me in the slightest.

His show is like a typical legends slot. You'll enjoy yourself but it won't necessarily be a performance for the ages. Personally, after tonight, I think he'd be a bit of a crap headliner. Yeah he's got the tunes and the star power, but he doesn't have the ability to perform and put on a Pyramid-headlining show.

Having said that... get him on the legends slot for the Sunday locals and the wine mums and it will be the one of the most iconic sets the festival's ever seen.

Weird one.

Nah. He'd smash the roof off the Pyramid. 

13 hours ago, balti-pie said:

I completely agree with this. I saw him about twenty years ago in one of those very staid Hyde Park shows, he was and is a great frontman and it’s a very professional and well done show (I bet it’s barely changed in twenty years) but it’s really not headline stuff as far as I’m concerned. He has stacks of great tunes but they’re all quite singalong, there’s no benefit to them happening in the dark at all, it’s very far from danger and excitement. The best possible afternoon legend slot, or an underwhelming headline spot? 
I know which one I’d want him to do. But he’s Elton John, he has an ego the size of the moon. He will insist on headlining, and will scoff at the amount offered, and I don’t think he’ll do it. 

Agree that it doesn't need to be in the dark, but it will be even better.

12 hours ago, thewayiam said:

I've also seen him tonight at Vicarage Road and as much as I enjoyed it, I echo it would not go down on the Pyramid as much as people may think.  

I'm content that I've seen him now. He put his all in, he's a good showman but he wouldn't come across well I don't think. His voice does struggle on a lot of parts which you would understand.

I also don't think he'd do it but it would definitely be better in the Legend slot.

For many reasons I really don't see Glastonbury seeing it as a must book now. 

No issues with his voice at Anfield and those pre-Glasto worries didn't cause an issue for Macca. Crowd will be singing most of the time. 

4 hours ago, K2SO said:

It was quite sad last night. Before he played Your Song, he spoke to the crowd and said something along the lines of "I just want to say a few words, because I'm never going to get to do this ever again"

I saw McCartney at Glastonbury, The Stones at Hyde Park and Elton at Watford in the last week and a half. In my opinion, Elton's show is barely worth even talking about next to the other two, regardless of the venue.

There was a good atmosphere around Vicarage Road last night. Genuinely, people had travelled from all over the world to come to Watford, which I found amusing. I met people from Italy, The US, Australia, Argentina, Germany... But still, his show overall made me feel like it would fall a bit flat on the Pyramid, regardless of how famous he is or how many hits he can pull out.

Disagree. Will be epic. He blew the socks off Anfield. Atmosphere was incredible. Everyone singing. I went to all three gigs in last three weeks and barring the fact that Macca wins because he's my boy and it was Glasto, Elton was right up there.

1 hour ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Ducks* Elton’s current setlist is more hits heavy than whatever Macca was noodling about with for the first hour and a half at Glasto 

Correct, but Macca was trying to tell more of a story. 

31 minutes ago, Zacko said:

Not where we were. Was going off from start to finish. 

Edited by Superscally

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Imagine having the hump with Macca rolling out the likes of Got To Get You Into My Life and Getting Better.

Usually for these big acts the Beeb used to cut in after the "unknown" first hour or so right into bangerfest.com. 

4 minutes ago, henry bear said:

The audience were singing the chorus after the song had finished - we loved it!

Ace!!!

3 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Just had it on my shuffle, as a matter of fact, in between ElyOtto's SugarCrash! and The Sugarcubes' Birthday. A nice transition.

😂😂

3 hours ago, DeanoL said:

He brings out Bruce Springsteen for Glory Days every night on tour? 😄

It wasn't just the run of songs - the guests, the fireworks, it all came together in that last hour.

But that does raise the question of if Elton would be arsed with any of that, or just want to do the exact same show he's always done.

I've seen Macca with a better setlist and bring Dave out on his own tour. I don't care what he does with Springsteen.

1 hour ago, Superscally said:

Nah. He'd smash the roof off the Pyramid. 

nah he wouldn't

3 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Tidy bit of business that.

Bad form to say, but we are in the Elton John thread - the current Farewell Yellow Brick Road tour setlist trumps Paul McCartney's Glastonbury run for me when it comes to party starters - which is what you may want from someone on a Sunday night headline slot.

12 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Tidy bit of business that.

Bad form to say, but we are in the Elton John thread - the current Farewell Yellow Brick Road tour setlist trumps Paul McCartney's Glastonbury run for me when it comes to party starters - which is what you may want from someone on a Sunday night headline slot.

I'm saying they're very happy bed fellows in terms of levels, so seeing as they say Maccas gig was best ever, can't wait to see Elton going large.

28 minutes ago, Superscally said:

I'm saying they're very happy bed fellows in terms of levels, so seeing as they say Maccas gig was best ever, can't wait to see Elton going large.

I imagine Elton would stick to the setlist of the wider tour, with the caveat he might through Don't Go Breaking My Heart in there if he had a duet partner. Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding is a necessary mid-show cut to allow for a breather, though maybe there's a loose cut either side he could trim. Have Mercy on the Criminal and Burn Down the Mission seem likely candidates.

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Imagine having the hump with Macca rolling out the likes of Got To Get You Into My Life and Getting Better.

That's the thing, I was belting them out but not many around us seemed that into it.

Fully accept maybe I was in some weird anti atmosphere vortex, but we moved to a new space and it was similar, so dunno. 

3 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

I imagine Elton would stick to the setlist of the wider tour, with the caveat he might through Don't Go Breaking My Heart in there if he had a duet partner. Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding is a necessary mid-show cut to allow for a breather, though maybe there's a loose cut either side he could trim. Have Mercy on the Criminal and Burn Down the Mission seem likely candidates.

I think he played Mercy at Anfield...