Your favourite bar at Glastonbury?

ClovenFin

5 hours ago, djdavejohnson said:

Any shout-out's for bars stocking IPA's? Will be my first time back since 2016 and have since made this somewhat awesome discovery. I wish I'd discovered them sooner, won't go back to just 'normal' beer now!

as has been said the theatre bar and real ale places are OK but glastonbury (and festivals in general) havent really caught up with the craft beer trends. Thankfully high quality craft cans have never been easier to buy and I would strongly encourage people to bring their own if they're looking for the very best (magic rock etc) as you almost certainly wont find any to buy on site. 

Theatre bar was stocking 3 or 4 types of brooklyn but of course it was about £6 a pint and isnt really that good if you're honest. if we are talking that type I would rather see sierra nevada or lagunitas. 

Edited by Memory Man

I have an ambition to go to all the bars. I tend to only go bar crawling on the Wednesday and Thursday though. Fri to Sun I’ll have a couple after the main stages finish, but that’s it. I’ve been to 3 festivals, and reckon I might be closing in on around 50% of them now. Lots more to achieve! Must try harder!

The Pennards ( I think) Organic wine and warm cider place between WG and WH? I still get lost but know where it is. 

Anywhere over in Cabaret and Threatre & Circus (FYI ladies, best long drops on site as well, men keep yer piss elsewhere :P )

Avalon, my beloved Avalon. Perfect for a chill and recharge if green fields is not your thing. Stay away from Avalon. 

Spike, worst place on site. Just off the railway, always mobbed and only pimms available. Avoid at all costs. That disco ball light is enough to give you a cornea, if I knew what one was but ye know what I mean. Awful. 

Don't even get me started on the cream tea and pimms place at the top of park. Eurgh! 

3 minutes ago, Tyonks said:

There's a cider bar I like to frequent just to the right of the Williams Green stage. Rarely a queue, and does some nice strong cold ciders! The name always escapes me though.

Paging @stuartbert two hats who has done much research into this subject. 

Alas I can't drink cider, one of the things I wish I could experience in Somerset. 

3 hours ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

I have an ambition to go to all the bars. I tend to only go bar crawling on the Wednesday and Thursday though. Fri to Sun I’ll have a couple after the main stages finish, but that’s it. I’ve been to 3 festivals, and reckon I might be closing in on around 50% of them now. Lots more to achieve! Must try harder!

Sorry but you have no chance unless you have a AAA or crew wrist band as many are not in a public area - the last DPS list I saw listed 95 bars many that don't even have a name - even with a crew wrist band its hard work trying to collect the local pass/wrist bands that are only available up to the Tuesday evening {before the gates open} and that still exclude a few guest bars that need a specific guest wrist band.

6 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

Sorry but you have no chance unless you have a AAA or crew wrist band as many are not in a public area - the last DPS list I saw listed 95 bars many that don't even have a name - even with a crew wrist band its hard work trying to collect the local pass/wrist bands that are only available up to the Tuesday evening {before the gates open} and that still exclude a few guest bars that need a specific guest wrist band.

Although I already knew this.... I have to confess my parade is now somewhat damp!

Anyway, armed with a steely determination, and a steel pint pot, and perhaps a couple of twix's, anything is possible!

The dream goes on.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Memory Man said:

as has been said the theatre bar and real ale places are OK but glastonbury (and festivals in general) havent really caught up with the craft beer trends. Thankfully high quality craft cans have never been easier to buy and I would strongly encourage people to bring their own if they're looking for the very best (magic rock etc) as you almost certainly wont find any to buy on site. 

Theatre bar was stocking 3 or 4 types of brooklyn but of course it was about £6 a pint and isnt really that good if you're honest. if we are talking that type I would rather see sierra nevada or lagunitas. 

Solid plan last year which worked brilliantly - stock up on some craft cans, dark ones work well as it's not imperative that they're stone cold, so will last through the weekend. A good coffee porter in the morning makes a good breakfast drink. Remember having a peanut butter milk stout on the walk down to the pyramid last year to see the Bootleg Beatles. 

Will be doing this again :)

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Hawros said:

Solid plan last year which worked brilliantly - stock up on some craft cans, dark ones work well as it's not imperative that they're stone cold, so will last through the weekend. A good coffee porter in the morning makes a good breakfast drink. Remember having a peanut butter milk stout on the walk down to the pyramid last year to see the Bootleg Beatles. 

Will be doing this again :)

speaking my language!! :D

• Upvote 1

I treat myself to some crafty cans to take in too. Normally Magic Rock, Beavertown, Tiny Rebel I had some really nice Swedish stuff from Beerbliotek in 2017 too. A tailgate grapefruit spa would not go amiss either. I then either hit the Cider Bus or the general bars for a top up. I like the Casbah and Chameleon for the lively atmosphere, particularly on weds and thursday.

11 hours ago, H.M.V said:

Spike, worst place on site. Just off the railway, always mobbed and only pimms available. Avoid at all costs. That disco ball light is enough to give you a cornea, if I knew what one was but ye know what I mean. Awful. 

Don't even get me started on the cream tea and pimms place at the top of park. Eurgh! 

Spike got me out of the sun for a few hours last year and brought me back to life. For that reason alone I love the place. 

@H.M.V what's up with the Park Cream Tea place?? I've never been (I didn't know it was there) but love a jam scone! 

Did they put cream on before jam?? 

4 minutes ago, Titters said:

Spike got me out of the sun for a few hours last year and brought me back to life. For that reason alone I love the place. 

@H.M.V what's up with the Park Cream Tea place?? I've never been (I didn't know it was there) but love a jam scone! 

Did they put cream on before jam?? 

Sssshhhh but its the wooden place overlooking the Ribbon Tower. Meself and @Keithy had cream tea and pimms in there in 2014 and had a seat and everything away from the mud. One of the highlights for me. Wonderful. Pretty sure Keithy has the pics somewhere. :D

8 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

Sssshhhh but its the wooden place overlooking the Ribbon Tower. Meself and @Keithy had cream tea and pimms in there in 2014 and had a seat and everything away from the mud. One of the highlights for me. Wonderful. Pretty sure Keithy has the pics somewhere. :D

Mum's the word. 

(Where was my invite? Was I drunk/asleep)

15 hours ago, Memory Man said:

english fruit wine stall was an interesting discovery last year, i think it might be called pennard wine or something like that. something a bit different.

12 hours ago, H.M.V said:

The Pennards ( I think) Organic wine and warm cider place between WG and WH? I still get lost but know where it is. 

I assume this is the same place? Any more specific directions to its location as I like the sound of it!

Ps also another vote for Avalon, my favourite drinking spot on site. Bimble Inn close second 

1 minute ago, mario man said:

I assume this is the same place? Any more specific directions to its location as I like the sound of it!

Ps also another vote for Avalon, my favourite drinking spot on site. Bimble Inn close second 

I'm sure its on the left of the main drag down towards Avalon. I pass it frequently and spend a lot of time over Avalon and Cabaret. I'm Irish and genetically unable to give adequate directions. I tend to know where I'm going by accident nor purpose. 

3 minutes ago, mario man said:

How could I have forgotten the Bimble Inn!   A night there was probably up there with one of my best bits in 2014!  Sadly in 2016 it was like a ghost town as no-one seemed to slog up there.  Not sure if I remember visiting it in 2017 so must make sure it's on my list in 2019.