New security measures in place

brettredmayne

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Keithy said:

Hahahah FFS, get a grip people. You're going to be allowed mirrors! 

They ban glass bottles because idiots will just drop them on the ground, they get broken, trod into the dirt and then 4 months later injure a cow.

Glastonbury haven't banned anything extra this year, it's the same normal rules with the potential for more indepth searches.

I know they dont allow glass because of the cows, but I also assumed it was equally because glass could injure us humans while we are there too, if it's broken and we tread on it etc.

2 minutes ago, mrfunk said:

So piss taking aside can you take a basic tool set with your camper? I also see no mention regarding knifes for cooking etc in the cv fields

I did see that someone on FB had asked about this, and the answer they got from the festival was nothing bigger than normal cutlery. So spoon size.

1 minute ago, musky said:

I did see that someone on FB had asked about this, and the answer they got from the festival was nothing bigger than normal cutlery. So spoon size.

Thanks

11 minutes ago, mrfunk said:

So piss taking aside can you take a basic tool set with your camper? I also see no mention regarding knifes for cooking etc in the cv fields

I can't 100% say yes, due to changes this year, but i've been taking a full toolkit, including saws, cordless power tools, the lot for the last ten or so years with no issues so far.

edit: and i'll be taking the same this year.

Edited by paulshane

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

but I also assumed it was equally because glass could injure us humans while we are there too, if it's broken and we tread on it etc.

I saw a naked woman (no, I did. Really I did) tripping out of her mind walking around in the mud on the Sunday evening in 2007. I could see that there was, in that section, a fair bit of glass within the mud. Before, and during this observation, I had been teetering on the brink of a full on nervous breakdown. I knew that this woman was, potentially, going to come to some physical harm. However, I couldn't act straight away though to reduce the threat. And why not?  It was because in that one particular moment I had looked out over the edge. A place you shouldn't go to, and a sight you shouldn't see.

4 minutes ago, paulshane said:

I can't 100% say yes, due to changes this year, but i've been taking a full toolkit, including saws, cordless power tools, the lot for the last ten or so years with no issues so far.

edit: and i'll be taking the same this year.

Are you building an underground something?  How exciting.

2 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I saw a naked woman (no, I did. Really I did) tripping out of her mind walking around in the mud on the Sunday evening in 2007. I could see that there was, in that section, a fair bit of glass within the mud. Before, and during this observation, I had been teetering on the brink of a full on nervous breakdown. I knew that this woman was, potentially, going to come to some physical harm. However, I couldn't act straight away though to reduce the threat. And why not?  It was because in that one particular moment I had looked out over the edge. A place you shouldn't go to, and a sight you shouldn't see.

Longdrops?

48 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

I agree this would suck. My foundation is a very thick glass bottle and my eyeshadow pallet has a mirror. If they take either I'll cry. 

Can you not just make up your own pallet with a bit of greaseproof paper and a sealable container? Scrape a bit from each on you're done?

I know it's ridiculous but it should do. Or just remove the mirror from the existing one.

44 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

Can you take scissor in? I usually have small pair just in case but thinking maybe not such a good thing these days

I'm fairly sure scissors have never been a restricted item.

Just now, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Are you building an underground something?  How exciting.

no, i've just had incredibly annoying mechanical breakdowns in the past that would easily be fixed with basic tools from my garage, so I now just pack them as well. I'll be in east campervan, so unless something breaks, it'll stay packed in the back of my locked car, ready just in case.

1 minute ago, paulshane said:

no, i've just had incredibly annoying mechanical breakdowns in the past that would easily be fixed with basic tools from my garage, so I now just pack them as well. I'll be in east campervan, so unless something breaks, it'll stay packed in the back of my locked car, ready just in case.

Ahh, that makes sense to me now. I have a box of tools in my campervan too. Only things like screw drivers, spannners, grips etc. Nothing along the lines of saws and power tools though. Mind you, it makes no odds really as I don't even know what I would do with the tools that I have in the event of a breakdown. I haven't got even the foggiest knowledge of engines etc

9 minutes ago, waterfalls212434 said:

Had to have a bit of a laugh at people panicking about the fact they may not be able to take mirrors or makeup..........my god my `selfies` might show the real me! underneath all the slap!.......lol this is a sodding festival not a fashion show im sure youll cope :P

It's not about selfies at all, pretty much most women wear makeup every day why change that for a festival??

It's no different to the people worrying about their drugs, I'm sure they would cope without them as well but these extra checks mean things we usual take anyway maybe taken off us... we're allowed to discuss these type of things on a forum if we want even, if others don't see the point

4 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Ahh, that makes sense to me now. I have a box of tools in my campervan too. Only things like screw drivers, spannners, grips etc. Nothing along the lines of saws and power tools though. Mind you, it makes no odds really as I don't even know what I would do with the tools that I have in the event of a breakdown. I haven't got even the foggiest knowledge of engines etc

learn basic vehicle maintenance, it can make a breakdown into a temporary inconvenience. My VW bus broke down back in 2004 one the way out from the site - it had been making odd noises from the rear all they way to the site, but made it, but when heading home, the back was weaving alarmingly all over the shop - I assumed a rear wheel bearing had fucked itself, but after stopping and checking - it was loose wheel nuts. All five had backed off and were -just- held in place by the hub cap. 

However, I had no tools, so waited FOUR HOURS for the AA to turn up and tighten the nuts.

If i'd had the tools, it would have taken five minutes to fix, as I knew what was wrong. Go on a basic course, it may help if your car/van/etc inconveniently stops working.

2 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

It's not about selfies at all, pretty much most women wear makeup every day why change that for a festival??

It's no different to the people worrying about their drugs, I'm sure they would cope without them as well but these extra checks mean things we usual take anyway maybe taken off us... we're allowed to discuss these type of things on a forum if we want even, if others don't see the point

yep never said you werent, but same being im allowed to find it amusing if I wish to. Just something about the fact `that` of all things is what some were worrying about tickled me. 

1 minute ago, waterfalls212434 said:

yep never said you werent, but same being im allowed to find it amusing if I wish to. Just something about the fact `that` of all things is what some were worrying about tickled me. 

1st world problems :lol:

27 minutes ago, paulshane said:

learn basic vehicle maintenance, it can make a breakdown into a temporary inconvenience. My VW bus broke down back in 2004 one the way out from the site - it had been making odd noises from the rear all they way to the site, but made it, but when heading home, the back was weaving alarmingly all over the shop - I assumed a rear wheel bearing had fucked itself, but after stopping and checking - it was loose wheel nuts. All five had backed off and were -just- held in place by the hub cap. 

However, I had no tools, so waited FOUR HOURS for the AA to turn up and tighten the nuts.

If i'd had the tools, it would have taken five minutes to fix, as I knew what was wrong. Go on a basic course, it may help if your car/van/etc inconveniently stops working.

I was driving a car (which had been making loud noisy grinding noises on and off for some time) when the rear passenger side wheel completely flew off. As the axle (or whatever it's called) ground in to the tarmac, I saw this wheel shoot past me in the car, hit a curb, and fly in to the air, before landing again and doing a Barnes Wallis across the lawns of some properties. 

Apart from nearly killing me directly, trying to sort out the aftermath from that nearly did for me too.

With regard to basic vehicle maintenance, it really is for the best if I don't get involved. I almost breath a sigh of delight when some mechanic whistles to himself, starts talking about broken sprocket gimble pins, and says that it's going to cost me. I know I'm a fool, but there's no way I'm going near a sprocket gimble pin - broken or un-broken.

3 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I was driving a car (which had been making loud noisy grinding noises on and off for some time) when the rear passenger side wheel completely flew off. As the axle (or whatever it's called) ground in to the tarmac, I saw this wheel shoot past me in the car, hit a curb, and fly in to the air, before landing again and doing a Barnes Wallis across the lawns of some properties. 

Apart from nearly killing me directly, trying to sort out the aftermath from that nearly did for me too.

With regard to basic vehicle maintenance, it really is for the best if I don't get involved. I almost breath a sigh of delight when some mechanic whistles to himself, starts talking about broken sprocket gimble pins, and says that it's going to cost me. I know I'm a fool, but there's no way I'm going near a sprocket gimble pin - broken or un-broken.

Your mechanic whistles to himself because hes trying to think up a fancy sounding name for a non existent part hes going to charge you parts and labour to `replace` while he sits down with a fag and a coffee :P

I've just spent the last hour and a half going through this thread.:mellow: 

It's only efests I tell myself, we like taking a subject and turning it into dozens of pages of bollocks. It's what we do, but fucking hell this has all gone a bit Daily Mail hasn't it!

The way some folks are talking, the festival will be some sort of 1984esque dystopia or that taking a penknife and a roll of duct tape in will be punishable by death. It's great and also essential that the festival will be increasing security as much for people's ease of mind than actually being able to stop anything happening. 

It was an email regarding increased searches and queues expecting to take longer. Nothing more, no extended banned item list, just extra searches and worse queues. Couple of hours delay at the very extreme is my guess. I'll be amazed if those of you arriving on Wednesday morning at your normal times are not in by Wednesday afternoon, set up and getting off your tits in the sunshine. 

Take what you usually take, if you do anything differently just pack a little more sensibly to aid any searchers, go with the flow and fucking enjoy yourselves. Some of us don't even have a ticket, if my biggest Glastonbury worry at the moment was whether I'd be able to take a steel tent peg or that I might not get a spot in pennards I'd be a fucking happy man!:)

See you all on the farm!

5 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

I've just spent the last hour and a half going through this thread.:mellow: 

It's only efests I tell myself, we like taking a subject and turning it into dozens of pages of bollocks. It's what we do, but fucking hell this has all gone a bit Daily Mail hasn't it!

The way some folks are talking, the festival will be some sort of 1984esque dystopia or that taking a penknife and a roll of duct tape in will be punishable by death. It's great and also essential that the festival will be increasing security as much for people's ease of mind than actually being able to stop anything happening. 

It was an email regarding increased searches and queues expecting to take longer. Nothing more, no extended banned item list, just extra searches and worse queues. Couple of hours delay at the very extreme is my guess. I'll be amazed if those of you arriving on Wednesday morning at your normal times are not in by Wednesday afternoon, set up and getting off your tits in the sunshine. 

Take what you usually take, if you do anything differently just pack a little more sensibly to aid any searchers, go with the flow and fucking enjoy yourselves. Some of us don't even have a ticket, if my biggest Glastonbury worry at the moment was whether I'd be able to take a steel tent peg or that I might not get a spot in pennards I'd be a fucking happy man!:)

See you all on the farm!

Well said that man. This is my 1st post in this thread and having read it all its just getting fucking ridiculous now. I was going to pen a big long post in a very similar vain to the one @Milky Joe has just posted so he's saved me the job, nice one. I concur 100% with all he's said.