The state of the ground.

Sawdusty surfer

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Or even dryish.  I think the total dryness of 2010 has confused people.  There have been lots of years with great weather.  Off the top of my head, we have

1997 - Awful
1998- Awful
1999 - Great!
2000 - Great!
2002 - Don't know
2003 - Great!
2004 - Not good
2005 - Awful! followed by Great!
2007 - Awful
2008 - Good
2009 - Good, if not great
2010 - Great!
2011 - Not good (maybe awful, I wasn't there)
2013 - Again, I wasn't there - this was ok, wasn't it?
2014 - Not good, not awful
2015 - Good, if not great (again wasn't there)
2016 - Awful

And yes, some rain fell on some of the years I said were great.  But on the whole, they were great!

I can no longer read the word 'great'. 

1994 - Great... Just

1995 -Great!

Just now, kalifire said:

Rain doesn't mean awful, it means inconvenient.

Awful means so much rain the site becomes a mud pit. Last year was awful. It was also extremely rare.

I think we'll be OK this year.

As someone who grew up in the Rossendale Valley, an awful lot of water needs to fall from the sky before I'll even register it as rain.

It rained in 2007 alright!

I'll chuck me stance in on a few of these..

2005 - Great, followed by Awful, followed by Great (assuming you count the wednesday and thursday)
2011 - Awful, followed by Great.
2013 - Somewhere between Good and Great. Leaning towards the latter.

3 minutes ago, Junglist1981 said:

2007 was faaaaaar worse than 2016. 

I strongly agree, but there at least seems to be a debate. For mud haters, although 2007 got as bad as it ever does, the ground started off pretty good.

It was the pissing down rain that I hated about 2007. And at least it normally stopped in the evening (Sunday apart)

Didn't realise 2016 was considered awful. Not being able to sit down on the ground was a pain but I found getting around the site to be mostly a breeze. The mud seemed to be more splashy than sticky.

I can't really remember if it rained too much over the festival either? My memory tells me not, but I'm likely wrong.

I thought 2011 was far worse. The mud was really sticky and combined with the baking sun on a couple of days, it was really hard work.

1 minute ago, Andeeroo said:

Didn't realise 2016 was considered awful. Not being able to sit down on the ground was a pain but I found getting around the site to be mostly a breeze. The mud seemed to be more splashy than sticky.

I can't really remember if it rained too much over the festival either? My memory tells me not, but I'm likely wrong.

I thought 2011 was far worse. The mud was really sticky and combined with the baking sun on a couple of days, it was really hard work.

I have to admit, I put down 2016 as awful because of general sentiment on here.  And objectively speaking, it seemed like a very muddy one.

But personally, the weather didn't bother me much.  Decent walking boots and the masses of seating compared to festivals gone by meant that it was fine.  I thought the festival was great!

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I have to admit, I put down 2016 as awful because of general sentiment on here.  And objectively speaking, it seemed like a very muddy one.

But personally, the weather didn't bother me much.  Decent walking boots and the masses of seating compared to festivals gone by meant that it was fine.  I thought the festival was great!

It was muddy but *good* muddy. I had a blast too! Barely noticed the conditions.

I think last year was pretty bad. I think I could have coped with the ground gradually getting wetter with the rain throughout the weekend but the fact it was like it the minute we reached the site and just got worse over the weekend it what took it out of me.

I can't remember who said "it was more splashy than sticky" a bit further up but I found the exact opposite. I like to think I'm pretty good in the slippery conditions but the amount of times I got stuck in the mud or fell last year as a result of a foot getting stuck was unreal.

8 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I can't remember who said "it was more splashy than sticky" a bit further up but I found the exact opposite. I like to think I'm pretty good in the slippery conditions but the amount of times I got stuck in the mud or fell last year as a result of a foot getting stuck was unreal.

Splashy is how I remember it but maybe I just got lucky with the paths I travelled through! There were undoubedtly some areas where it was a bit sticky and dangerous, but I remember these as being pretty isolated.

Edited by Andeeroo

1 minute ago, Andeeroo said:

Splashy is how I remember it but maybe I just got lucky with the paths I travelled through! There were undoubedtly some areas where it was a bit sticky and dangerous, but I remember these as being pretty isolated.

Yeah I think in the quieter places it was fine. One that sticks in my mind was trying to get into Shangri La. It was ridiculous. Just a load of people stuck in the mud with more people coming up behind them, causing a bit of a bottleneck and people falling over even more. The mud was over the height of my welly at one point.

I say all this.. if I was offered those conditions for a guaranteed ticket every year I would be there!

24 minutes ago, Andeeroo said:

2016 was like walking through cement in places, wouldn't have called it a breeze but least it didn't rain constantly either

Wow.  Seems my little maths fact thing really puffed a lot of chests up.  It was just a light hearted, playful little thinking-aloud reply.  I don't actually think it's a fact, nor am I praying to any gods.  

But I do hope its hot.  And dry.  And that I can kick up a fuck-load of dust with a flick of my toe.  I like my holidays hot.