Beers

weeksy97

I'm seriously considering Special Brew. We all know it's disgusting right?  Well, no. Since the craft ale movement has made my palate more used to bitter flavours, Special Brew is actually...alright. And it's nice and strong, which is important when you're trying to carry all your booze for five days on your back.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Justiceforcedave said:

2 Leave em floating in some water. This will also cool them down.

And cover the container with some cloth touching the top of the water. Increases evaporation which cools the water.

Or just drink red wine. :)

2 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Maybe the worst thing about the festival. The beer is utter slop. And don't be coming at me with the Otter's Pocket or whatever weaktea they serve in the AveInn. That the likes of Siren/Beavertown/Cloudwater etc don't have a single keg on site is dire. 

Yeah. And to add insult to injury, there's Wally's Bar, that sells decent stuff, but is a crew only bar. Very annoying that it's so widely publicised, but you can't get in if you paid for your ticket.

A keg of Cloudwater DIPA v13 would be a brilliant discovery, but I'd be a ruinous mess by 2pm every day :lol:

generally ive found the darker the better for canned beers, I took a few Beavertown smog rockets last year and they were great - I'm taking those, and a few Tailgate peanut butter milk stouts which are staggeringly good when not cold. 

Tbf the 13 guns are pretty damn decent for the first couple of days, but they're much better a bit chilled I think - I'll have a few with me, I'm sure. Got to identify a ridiculous canned imperial stout yet, but I'm working on it. That Evil Twin even more Jesus is about 14% and I think it's in 500ml cans, that'd be insanity :lol:

1 hour ago, Wooderson said:

Maybe the worst thing about the festival. The beer is utter slop. And don't be coming at me with the Otter's Pocket or whatever weaktea they serve in the AveInn. That the likes of Siren/Beavertown/Cloudwater etc don't have a single keg on site is dire. 

I generally agree, though I finally made it to the Cornish Arms last year, and I vaguely recall getting a half decent pint.

1 hour ago, The Clearest Blue said:

Yeah I think I might just take about 12 of the stubby Brewdog cans to have as and when I need some flavour injections. I bought a lot of beer from the bars last year for the first time which was nice, however with the line up looking the best since I've been going for me, I might not have time for bar visits!

Aye, I've been eying those up. Punk and Dead Pony are pretty decent beers. Smaller size should make them ideal for headliner set supping - nothing worse than longing for the end of a set so you can pay a visit.

9 minutes ago, cammie81 said:

The best beer I've ever tasted and I'll only get to taste it one more time.

You tried any of the Verdant DIPAs? They're every bit as good, I'd say - Verdant Pulp is absolutely amazing and it's one of their regulars. I'm sure Cloudwater will be producing more fearsomely strong and amazing things free from the shackles of two-monthly releases etc though, there's some absolutely gorgeous beer around at the moment! 

6 hours ago, majormajormajor said:

While we're here, can I change the subject away from lager?

I drank Abbott Ale last year - wasn't a bad choice. Cheap and cheerful, and goes down well warm. I'm usually a 100+ IBU IPA sort of guy, but that shit is less than ideal for consumption warm when hungover to fuck. I think the sweeter 4.5 to 5% ales are the way to go. Anyone got any nice malty ones to recommend that are around in 500ml tinnies?

Fursty Ferret (Bagder) or Hobgoblin Gold. More pale than malt, but tick the sweeter box. 

Tastes like pure heaven compared to piss water lager

I don't think I can personally recommended any ales or lagers that taste good warm, but one relatively recent revelation is that nowadays (in my local Tesco at least) we are spoilt by a range of canned ales lagers and IPAs, even a year or two back you couldn't get hold of them so easily. Even my local Londis has a craft ale section with quite a few canned options. There  are few lower alcohol options which I might buy and try warm as I reckon then won't taste too rancid.

Does anyone have any experience / tips they want to share regarding brew your own beer?

Got given a kit for my birthday and was thinking about making it to have up at the camper fields tues evening.. 40 pints so I'll be sharing with the neighbours!

10 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'm seriously considering Special Brew. We all know it's disgusting right?  Well, no. Since the craft ale movement has made my palate more used to bitter flavours, Special Brew is actually...alright. And it's nice and strong, which is important when you're trying to carry all your booze for five days on your back.

I like your way of thinking. Cheaper than strong craft beers and there's the novelty factor of carrying around a Special Brew can.

I'm tempted to get a couple of cans to roadtest now.

29 minutes ago, Untz said:

I like your way of thinking. Cheaper than strong craft beers and there's the novelty factor of carrying around a Special Brew can.

I'm tempted to get a couple of cans to roadtest now.

Do it. It won't be as unpleasant as you remember. It might not be nice, of course, but at least get one to try out.

11 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

This is a good call. As Untz mentions, you get the novelty of walking around with a SB can and I seem to (vaguely) remember that the last time I had a can it wasn't completely terrible. Think I may pick a few up for the festival. Also canned ale is definitely the way to go, malty session beers tend to not taste rank when slightly warm.  

I'm usually a lager drinker but at GF I always drink cider. There aren't many lagers that taste good out of a can, and that's before the sun has gotten to them. Plus I hate the piss they sell at the bars that masquerades as lager, tastes terrible and goes right through me.

Canned cider and Cider Bus/Brothers Bar all the way for me.

14 hours ago, weeksy97 said:

Any lager drinkers on here that could reccommend a decent one that still doesn't taste that bad after the glasto sun has been on it ,took cider last year and was fine but more into lager now.

All lager tastes bad after its been in the sun. It's just a fact of life. 

Invest in a Colemans Xtreme cooler or keep the beer out of the sun as long as possible.

A colemans 5 day cooler will keep your beer ice cold for 5 days if you do it properly... (fill the box to the brim with ice and your stuff, no gaps).

Alternatively buy some bulmers or magners its easier to drink warmish. 

Edited by Havors

11 hours ago, balti-pie said:

A keg of Cloudwater DIPA v13 would be a brilliant discovery, but I'd be a ruinous mess by 2pm every day :lol:

generally ive found the darker the better for canned beers, I took a few Beavertown smog rockets last year and they were great - I'm taking those, and a few Tailgate peanut butter milk stouts which are staggeringly good when not cold

Tbf the 13 guns are pretty damn decent for the first couple of days, but they're much better a bit chilled I think - I'll have a few with me, I'm sure. Got to identify a ridiculous canned imperial stout yet, but I'm working on it. That Evil Twin even more Jesus is about 14% and I think it's in 500ml cans, that'd be insanity :lol:

Two ridiculously good beers right there! I tried the peanut butter milkstout at a beer festival recently and it blew my mind, easily one of the best things ive ever drank. Also smog rocket keeps that crisp smokey taste even when warm. I think i may have to invest in some for the festival this year.

Punk IPA is being sold in the large cans now and thats not too shabby warm, although i should think the cost is a small fortune just for a 4 pack. As much as i like Brewdogs beers, the whole 'Punk brewers' angle gets on my nerves. With numerous bars, hot dog restaurants and even a hotel opening, they're about as un-punk as you can get. Im not even against any of that, make hay while the sunshines as they say, and im all for bars selling good beer and having a decent atmosphere. They should just move on from the out of date 'beer for punks' tag however and let the 'punk IPA' product be a nod back to that part of their legacy. Ahh well, grumpy old man rant over.

Edited by Familiar2billions