Best acts you have seen at the festival

grumpyhack

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, Waapster said:

I want to add the massive singalong that was The Proclaimers in the Acoustic.

Also Shakti Sings - not strictly an act but it was magical when they came up to the Stone Circle and got us all singing and dancing.

Oh yeah, singalongs in Acoustic. Whatever I said for 2005 was wrong. Chas'n'Dave won that year.

Coldplay 2016 - best festival set I've seen, and one of my favourite ever gigs. All boxes ticked.

Queens of the Stone Age 2011 - great way to end the festival, especially after the glorious weather that day. Everyone I spoke to afterwards had loved it.

M83 2016 - never really listened to them before the lineup came out, but I needed to find a Saturday headliner. Now one of my favourite bands. Enough said.

Pulp 2011 - good vibes all round. Jarvis was on fine form with his stage chatter. Just wish Radiohead had gone the hits route too.

Special mention to CHVRCHES, as I was front centre for both their sets and managed to lose my voice both times.

1984, my second Glastonbury, and unlike the previous year there was one act I really wanted to see - The Smiths, who were my favourite new band at the time. On the Saturday the first act, Amazulu, got stuck in traffic and couldn't make it. The Waterboys kicked things off and The Smiths weren't due on until 6pm. At about 5:20pm I was en route to the car for some reason when we caught what sounded like Morrissey's unmistakeable drone in the distance. We legged it down to the Pyramid Stage to catch them and there was pandemonium there - kids unsuccessfully clambering up the corrugated metal sheets to get to Morrissey etc. As the tenth song, Hand in Glove, finished, we were informed that The Smith's set was being shortened to accommodate fucking Amazulu, who had finally showed up. There was practically a riot by this time, but that was it, after a set of about 30 minutes The Smiths were gone. 

My all time favourite though was REM in 1999. They were a huge catch for the festival - their previous visit had been to tour the UK's stadia. I was a long term fan, having first seen them at the Hammersmith Palais in 1985. It was a special night.

I haven't been back since 1999 (soon to be righted!). Of course I always watch it all on TV. The one performance I really wish I had been at above all others was Blur in 2009, it looked magical. 

Neil Young 

The libertines 

Band of horses 

New model army 

Can't remember but there are lots more but Neil Young my favourite so far... Oh yea and some small band called radiohead who played back in the day 

2010 - Muse, Slash, Faithless

2013 - The Hives (get me a f*cking ladder!!), Foals, Chic and special mention to Kosheen who went acoustic while shutdown was still on

2014 - Metronomy, Goldfrapp, White Lies, Royal Blood

2015 - Florence & the Machine, DFA1979, FKA Twigs, Lionel, Patti Smith

2016 - Grimes, Bats for Lashes, New Order

Ok, so, im super wasted and in trouble of slipping into @bamber territory (ly Bamb fuck the haters yo never change), buuuut... 

Both times at the festival Ben Howard has blown me away. First on the mid (some may testify seeing him sooner) he was just perfect with the sun 

Then again in 2015.

While the second performance didn't reach the peaks of the first, i geniunely treasure that second BH LP.

So many people must have written him off after those Brit awards and shit. "I forget where were" on its own merits, is a fantabulous record.

Probably, instrumentally, organically and purely, the greatest set to ever grace the mighty t'other...

"I hope it was alright"

Shut up Beth. You fucking know that was transandental.

Edited by T-Mouse
The arctic monkeys were obviously shite

Nah I'm not having it. Just under halfway in. To go from that naked and utterly untouchable version of Wandering Star, to a version of Machine Gun, with David Cameron, the man whos actions of arrogance could ultimately lead to the decimation of our true Great Britain (Scots homeboys u got us right :-|) this will never, ever be fucking beaten.