Recommend an Act: 2017 Edition

Tuna

Ride:

Seminal 90s shoegaze band, incorporating blissed out harmonies, fearsome feedback and a touch of indie pop jangle, providing the perfect soundtrack for girlfriendless teens of the 90s who happened to like getting stoned beyond belief.

Include a drummer who will make you suspect that Keith Moon was reincarnated as an octopus.

One of them was in Beady Eye - but don't hold that against them.

If you like: My Bloody Valentine, Toy, Stone Roses.

Edited by Homer

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

Cracking work in here. Already added Thundercat and Anderson to my must sees. 

The added touch 'if you like this' in the write ups is genius. 

Dreading clashes already this year. 

Brace yourself. Clashes are going to be a nightmare this year, make no mistake.

I'd highly recommend Irish singer-songwriter Lisa Hannigan. Fans of Damien Rice should recognise her, she was a long time collaborator of his, most prominently on 9 Crimes.

She's fantastic in her own right though and I was extremely impressed when I saw her in Liverpool last year. Would be a great act to chill out to on a nice sunny day!

Edited by Johnkhutch

Land of the Giants.  Not confirmed yet, but they're there every bloody year so chances are good!  Normally to be found in the Bread & Roses after the main stages have finished.  Acoustic guitars, horn section and a lot of energy. Sweaty, energetic, bouncy gig.

For fans of: Stadium Arcadium-era Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Mad Dog Mcrea, Dreadzone

EDIT: It's actually bloody hard to figure out what to liken them to!

Edited by Quark

On 31/03/2017 at 11:59 AM, mr gumby said:

First Aid Kit.

Missed them last time they played, chuffed to see them back. They'd better not clash with Flaming Lips!

For fans of: Countryish folk, female voice harmonies, Wicker Man inspired videos.

These too.

I'd add Julia Jacklin as well. Obviously not harmonising as much as First Aid Kit though.

Sleaford mods for me, but they aren't really like anything else are they? A very marmite group you'll either love them or hate them. If ever you don't judge a band by their name its this lot, not a mod in sight!

This track is very "direct" shall we say but they have a few more melodic numbers on their recently released album English Tapas 

Not confirmed officially just yet but Mik Artistik will be there and you should watch them, you can even see them on weds or thurs so no excuses :)

Edited by Memory Man

Kano rel

1 minute ago, kalifire said:

Kano is well worth a look. First song from his last album, next video his pretty incredible Fire In The Booth. Dude has skills.

Kano released the best grime album of last year. Far better than Skepta's.

Made in the Manor - For anyone that actually wants to check out grime and doesnt just dismiss it as a shit genre.

4 hours ago, The_Amazing_Oblong said:

Yorkston/Thorne/Khan - down as tbc. Reviewed their album Everything Sacred last year and it came in the top 5 iirc. Nice and chill for a little downtime.

Saw them in Glasgow last week, wonderful show. Also very good chat between songs. Will thoroughly enjoy lying on the grass in the sunday sunshine soaking in their sounds.

Don't want this thread to die.

Didn't see anyone suggest Kate Tempest at any point, so here she is. Spoken word, poet, playwright, rapper - I imagine she is a very marmite act, but she has some very cutting and thought provoking lyrics with a consistent standpoint - pretty much consistently pessimistic but some people will love that.

37 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Agreed.

Still a SR, but based on their FB page I'm chucking them in the mix. Chainska Brassika,  7 piece ska band from Lewisham.  Won the World Reggae Championships last year and have collaborated with Toots. Great blend of energy and summer vibes.

For fans of: early Madness, Bad Manners, Toots & The Maytals

7 hours ago, Quark said:

Agreed.

Still a SR, but based on their FB page I'm chucking them in the mix. Chainska Brassika,  7 piece ska band from Lewisham.  Won the World Reggae Championships last year and have collaborated with Toots. Great blend of energy and summer vibes.

For fans of: early Madness, Bad Manners, Toots & The Maytals

I concur dude. If they are on there, I am.

loving the recommendation of Land of the Giants too - cheers

8 hours ago, mjsell said:

Didn't see anyone suggest Kate Tempest at any point, so here she is. Spoken word, poet, playwright, rapper - I imagine she is a very marmite act, but she has some very cutting and thought provoking lyrics with a consistent standpoint - pretty much consistently pessimistic but some people will love that.

She's really good from what I have heard from her. Went to see her last year on the Hell stage but from where I was standing the sound was terrible. Will try and see her again though.

On 30 March 2017 at 11:10 AM, Tommy101 said:

I'll go with Frank Carter & the Rattlesnakes. For fans of Gallows, King Blues, Bronx 

Only 2 albums released, very different sound on them. The first one is heavier, and the second a lot more melodic. Retrospective examples below:

Was over the moon when I saw they were on the line up. Gonna be fun