Flaming lips

russycarps

1 hour ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Listened to the new album a few times since I got it and really enjoyed it. 

However, it's properly clicked today. There's some absolutely brilliant stuff on there - especially on the second disc. 

Went to find my soft bulletin afterwards and found a copy CD my mate did for me just after yoshimi came out. Him and his brother were arguing cos one hated the newer stuff whereas the other only liked soft bulletin and Yoshimi and didn't really like the old stuff. 

I'd forgotten all about this but he ended up copying me Yoshimi and transmissions from the satellite heart as I knew nothing of them and I was supposed to pass judgement. This was obviously 15 ish years ago and I'd never listened to them. 

Anyway, transmissions is ace!!! I'm guessing chances of anything from it live are low but it's definitely better than Yoshimi which I find hit and miss. 

Really really like soft bulletin though. 

Tldr; desperate for lips to play Glastonbury and new record is ace. 

There's a pretty good chance we might get she don't use jelly but I'm guessing that's probably not that high up your wish list.

Anything else? No chance. None whatever. 

Slow nerve action would be my pick from that album

1 hour ago, russycarps said:

Yeah. Imagine them late at night opening their set with this. Would be utterly tremendous.

Was magical when I saw them open with this at Victorious, that gig got me hooked on them. Now I've convinced myself they're definitely playing, I dread to think how disappointing it'll be if the poster drops and they're not on it.

5 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

The flaming lips are my biggest wish of 2017 festival.

The videos of January look fantastic... something always makes me miss them. They need to be on.

This is me exactly, been a big fan for about 15 years yet I've always missed them for some reason. Nothing is going to stop me this time. Loving the new album too.

6 hours ago, Mash011 said:

Explain how that's a reason to miss one of the best live acts in the world at Glastonbury?

Exactly.

My first Glastonbury was 2010 and I went on my own to see The Flaming Lips (and the majority of other acts), met a lovely Irish couple and had a wonderful night. All whilst my friends were watching Gorilaz.

Now who was the real winner here.  

7 hours ago, jonodillieono said:

Only seen them once,

Race for the Prize on this recent tour was probably my favourite opener to any gig ever. So good.

I want to see them at Glastonbury but there's no way I could persuade friends to come with me :(

Lucky you!

It means you can go right down the front and dance like a loon without those fun-sponges holding you back.

I like she don't use jelly because it's always done for the fans. Great singalong. Can't exactly remember which gig it was, possibly Birmingham Academy, but I was singing my heart out to the start of that song and realized a guy near me was doing the same. During the song we gravitated and finished with an arm around each other belting it out. 

One song drawing 2 total strangers together to show the love, thought that was pretty epic in itself.

Transmissions has some great songs for campfire acoustic too. Turn it on, jelly, chewin the apple, be my head and plastic jesus are all easily played on acoustic and are great for a singalong.

I'm lucky that the majority of my group are big lips fans.

10 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

I reckon JP headliner or possibly even a......errrrrghhhh Other Sub.

Think they'd go down like a lead balloon on Other these days, especially playing to a field half full of people waiting for the headliner on after them. Can't see them as anything other than a JP headliner if they're there.

I dont think they've ever been precious about placement in the line up. It has to be headliner for me though. Darkness is vital, as it maximum set length.

They'd go down absolutely fine on the other stage, why wouldnt they? They'd get the same size crowd as last time no doubt. That being said, JP feels more likely for some reason. Or the park (if SFA can do the park, the lips can).

Just now, russycarps said:

They'd go down absolutely fine on the other stage, why wouldnt they?

Tbh I was gonna say 'cause they're touring a less user friendly album than last time, but last time they were touring Embryonic so not really true, and plus their current setlists are leaning pretty heavily towards their 'hits'.

I dunno, like you say, JP just feels right this time, and they'd obviously get a far more appreciative crowd there than stuck on before any of the names being thrown about to headline Other. I'd inevitably end up missing them, but hey ho.

23 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Tbh I was gonna say 'cause they're touring a less user friendly album than last time, but last time they were touring Embryonic so not really true, and plus their current setlists are leaning pretty heavily towards their 'hits'.

I dunno, like you say, JP just feels right this time, and they'd obviously get a far more appreciative crowd there than stuck on before any of the names being thrown about to headline Other. I'd inevitably end up missing them, but hey ho.

Yeah JP is definitely my hope, especially with the new improved location.

I have a nasty feeling they might sub the pyramid you know. If nick cave can do it...

If they sub the Pyramid, there's obviously only one day that would work for it. I think you can get away with a smaller than usual sub on the Pyramid if they compliment the headliner particularly well. I guess Paul Weller in to the Who would be a decent example. 

Still hoping for the Park, personally. Not really a fan of JP, the Park has so much more personality. As Russy says, if SFA can do it then the Lips can. 

Trying not to get too worked up about this though in case it doesn't come off. 

17 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Yeah JP is definitely my hope, especially with the new improved location.

I have a nasty feeling they might sub the pyramid you know. If nick cave can do it...

Nick Cave has an arena tour coming up/was doing some pretty big shows when he last subbed, whereas Flaming Lips whole last UK tour consisted of two academy dates - they ain't subbing the Pyramid in 2017, even if Radiohead personally requested them again. 

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Nick Cave has an arena tour coming up/was doing some pretty big shows when he last subbed, whereas Flaming Lips whole last UK tour consisted of two academy dates - they ain't subbing the Pyramid in 2017, even if Radiohead personally requested them again. 

nick cave also subbed in 2009 when they were touring titchy venues! I hope you're right though.

The sound at the JP was amazing last year for Sigur Ros - it'd be WICKED for the Flaming Lips to headline up there, a packed tent would be infinitely preferable to a mostly disinterested Other stage field waiting for some interminably awful headliner 

4 hours ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Yep, new JPT is a different beast to the old. As nice as it would be to see them outside up at the Park, the big stage and tent is probably a better place for their show. Opposite Sheeran please!

First need to get the Lips confirmed, second need to rule out Friday and a clash with Radiohead.

Genuinely wouldn't know what to do if they clashed. In fact I had a dream the other day that they did clash, I panicked and didn't know what to do so ended up staying at West Holts watching Raymond Van Barnevald play darts.

Would like to see a shrink pick the bones out of that dream.

Edited by kingbadger