Flaming lips

russycarps

Back home in Leeds in my pyjamas already! Think that's the quickest I've ever gotten away from a venue as they went off stage around 10.50. 

They were incredible.  I have no voice left and they were as visual as always.  The non fan boyfriend was also really really impressed. It's his first Glastonbury this year and they've been well and truly added to his wishlist. 

Great venue... That is weirdly the first time I've ever seen a gig at the academy in Manchester! 

Edited by Digi

2 hours ago, russycarps said:

It's not..  Think they have probably just listed what they can remember. I'll add to it in a bit whilst I'm loading up on coffee but it was around 13 songs and just short of a 2 hour set

Really enjoyed Georgia as the support act too. Anyone who can drum and sing lead vocals at the same time is pretty talented

6 minutes ago, Digi said:

It's not..  Think they have probably just listed what they can remember. I'll add to it in a bit whilst I'm loading up on coffee but it was around 13 songs and just short of a 2 hour set

Really enjoyed Georgia as the support act too. Anyone who can drum and sing lead vocals at the same time is pretty talented

ah ok that makes sense. It makes me rage when I find mistakes on setlist.fm...

I didnt see the support. What was your highlight of the lips gig?

Just now, russycarps said:

ah ok that makes sense. It makes me rage when I find mistakes on setlist.fm...

I didnt see the support. What was your highlight of the lips gig?

Honestly and I hate myself a little bit for this as it's a bit crap for a highlight to be a cover but as a huge Bowie fan Wayne coming out in the ball for Space Oddity.  It was extremely moving

They missed off Pompeii and The Castle for certain. I am shit remembering running orders though 

Slightly gutted I had a shit view and couldn't see him prancing about as a unicorn properly

3 hours ago, russycarps said:

It was exactly the same as the gig in London the day before so if anyone wants to amend it to be the same as that, that would be great. They were absolutely amazing like usual! Would fit perfectly as a JP headliner this year, was considering they'd headline the Park but after seeing them I think JP is a much better suit.

Feeling pretty up for seeing these at Glasto based on all the glowing live reviews in here and how much I've liked the 5-10 songs I've listened to. Assuming they're not Friday, I'll be giving their stuff a good go unless they're up against Bon Iver (or NIN in the unlikely event they rock up).

Edit: In fact I'll probably just give their stuff a good go regardless as I may end up preferring them to Bon Iver, who I only got into last year anyway.

Edited by Will-2609

23 minutes ago, Acid_Haze said:

It was exactly the same as the gig in London the day before so if anyone wants to amend it to be the same as that, that would be great. They were absolutely amazing like usual! Would fit perfectly as a JP headliner this year, was considering they'd headline the Park but after seeing them I think JP is a much better suit.

Yep, it has to be JP. On the sunday please! 

55 minutes ago, Digi said:

Honestly and I hate myself a little bit for this as it's a bit crap for a highlight to be a cover but as a huge Bowie fan Wayne coming out in the ball for Space Oddity.  It was extremely moving

They missed off Pompeii and The Castle for certain. I am shit remembering running orders though 

Slightly gutted I had a shit view and couldn't see him prancing about as a unicorn properly

Space oddity was utterly wonderful wasnt it. A mass singalong. Really great stuff. As you say, highly emotional.

28 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Space oddity was utterly wonderful wasnt it. A mass singalong. Really great stuff. As you say, highly emotional.

The whole night was really emotional, in a good way. It's always great to feel so uplifted after a show. We met some really nice people in the crowd too which just makes such a massive difference to the whole experience 

We also made the 'Glastonbury and acid' comment. I was the designated driver last night and felt slightly envious of those clearly under the influence wearing half the contents of their Christmas tree

Edited by Digi

22 minutes ago, Digi said:

The whole night was really emotional, in a good way. It's always great to feel so uplifted after a show. We met some really nice people in the crowd too which just makes such a massive difference to the whole experience 

We also made the 'Glastonbury and acid' comment. I was the designated driver last night and felt slightly envious of those clearly under the influence wearing half the contents of their Christmas tree

Yeah it's life-affirming stuff. And I know people complain about wayne's chat inbetween songs but it all adds to the experience for me. I think if they just stood there and banged out the tunes it wouldnt be the same. The solution of course is for them to play for 3 hours rather than 2!

7 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Yeah it's life-affirming stuff. And I know people complain about wayne's chat inbetween songs but it all adds to the experience for me. I think if they just stood there and banged out the tunes it wouldnt be the same. The solution of course is for them to play for 3 hours rather than 2!

Honestly, when you've heard Bono bang on between songs as many times as I have Wayne is a fucking pleasure! 

Edited by Digi

31 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Seriously tempted to hop over for one of the European dates next week. Flights to Milan and Paris are only £40 return. Could easily do flights, ticket and an AirBnB for under £100. 

The Zurich show appeals to me. It's in a venue with a capacity of around 600, plus I love Zurich. I was too broke to go to London though so have absolutely zero chance of going to Switzerland. My overdraft still hasn't recovered since last being there

1 hour ago, Digi said:

The Zurich show appeals to me. It's in a venue with a capacity of around 600, plus I love Zurich. I was too broke to go to London though so have absolutely zero chance of going to Switzerland. My overdraft still hasn't recovered since last being there

It's frustrating as if I'd have actually thought about it earlier we'd have just booked it! Now our group can't all get time off together, and I don't fancy doing it solo. Just going to keep the faith and hedge my bets on them closing the JPT instead!

On my way home from their gig in Stockholm, it was brilliant. What an atmosphere, close if not better than my favorites last year (Anderson. Paak & moderat).  Steven performed 2 minutes of ABBAs S.O.S, hope they play this summer!

and the opener, Georgia, was dope as well. 100x times better live.

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, russycarps said:

Lips announced for that boardmasters festival in august, this gives me hope for a glastonbury appearance. Sunday night Other Stage please.

They've only got bigger and better since 2010. Largely thanks to miley cyrus admittedly!

I can't see them being high up on the other with the billing they have at boardmasters, not even headliners? Would they sub other? or headline JP?

5 minutes ago, stocky3000 said:

I can't see them being high up on the other with the billing they have at boardmasters, not even headliners? Would they sub other? or headline JP?

are they not headlining boadmasters? I presumed they were from the article on this forum.

They would only headline a stage, be it other, JP or Park. Their reputation as a live band and stellar past performances at the festival will see to that.

3 minutes ago, russycarps said:

are they not headlining boadmasters? I presumed they were from the article on this forum.

They would only headline a stage, be it other, JP or Park. Their reputation as a live band and stellar past performances at the festival will see to that.

I think two door cinema club jamirquoi and Alt J are the previously announced headliners