Ticketday: Whats your Internetspeed? Importance?

tullux

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got tickets from my office at work. I work for a media company and so the internet speed is generally really good. Got through almost instantly after refreshing - not sure I even saw the holding page.

Would definitely recommend trying from work on Sunday am if it's close enough and the internet's decent!

10 hours ago, tullux said:

managed to get through, site loads very fast,

while my wife was trying over 4G.  she did not

even load the holding page in full. 

so my new setup have worked fine.

You got tickets, but you have absolutely no idea if it worked because of that set-up.

Some people get thru, and others don't. That remains the same no matter what set-ups anyone has.

10 hours ago, brain yolk! said:

I got tickets from my office at work. I work for a media company and so the internet speed is generally really good. Got through almost instantly after refreshing - not sure I even saw the holding page.

Would definitely recommend trying from work on Sunday am if it's close enough and the internet's decent!

I've got an 80Mb line.

My misses got thru, I didn't (buying a ticket for a mate).

The speed of the line has clearly played no part in that.

11 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

You got tickets, but you have absolutely no idea if it worked because of that set-up.

Some people get thru, and others don't. That remains the same no matter what set-ups anyone has.

sure, you are absolutley right.

but my impression is, that after f5 the site loaded very, very quick,

so that i could be sure not to get through and f5 again.

at least more f5 per minute.

and so more chances.

If you were downloading a 4K film then internet speed would be the be all and end all, because you're trying to refresh a page with probably a few hundred kilobytes of data on it, it makes sod all difference. People's varying experiences on here prove it's just complete pot luck. Last year my wired 50mb internet connection just froze on the white screen and my wife got through on her phone.

29 minutes ago, tullux said:

sure, you are absolutley right.

but my impression is, that after f5 the site loaded very, very quick,

so that i could be sure not to get through and f5 again.

at least more f5 per minute.

and so more chances.

I was using two different ISPs yesterday. At times, both were reacting faster than the other.

You're simply attributing your success to a particular thing without having any clue at all if that was anything to do with it.

There's reams of research about these sorts of self-caused delusions, which are proven as delusions and nothing more.

18 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

If you were downloading a 4K film then internet speed would be the be all and end all, because you're trying to refresh a page with probably a few hundred kilobytes of data on it, it makes sod all difference. People's varying experiences on here prove it's just complete pot luck. Last year my wired 50mb internet connection just froze on the white screen and my wife got through on her phone.

I agree, except I'd imagine we're talking a lot less than a hundred K.  

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I was using two different ISPs yesterday. At times, both were reacting faster than the other.

You're simply attributing your success to a particular thing without having any clue at all if that was anything to do with it.

There's reams of research about these sorts of self-caused delusions, which are proven as delusions and nothing more.

Did you get one?

I think i'm going with Chrome and I.E on one laptop...

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

at least i think you are right, but it worked for me. and if only mentionell.

:)

15 minutes ago, Stretlow said:

Did you get one?

I think i'm going with Chrome and I.E on one laptop...

my missus got thru and got one of the tix we were trying to get for mates. I got the enter reg details page, but then got stuck in a queue beyond that, that I'm not sure was a genuine queue or the system messing up (I abandoned trying with that when Wednesday tix sold out).

The missus got thru on our normal broadband - the first time anyone in our house has got thru for at least 3 years. My own limited success was via an alternative ISP.

10 minutes ago, tullux said:

at least i think you are right, but it worked for me. and if only mentionell.

:)

It worked, yep - but it was working for others who didn't use any special set-up, too.

Consequently it's impossible to know if the set-up you used gave any advantage.

I don't think it has anything to do with set-up, it's just luck and hitting F5 at the right moment. It would be much easier if there was an exact method that got people through but it would also make the process unfair at the same time.

I've had more luck when I was using 2MB broadband then now (50MB). I've also had more luck with using phone tethering than internet. Do I think the way to go is slower broadband and using your phones? No. 

I didn't get a sniff of the booking page yesterday - didn't even have the countdown from 20 on there!

Gonna try and find some luck between now and Sunday morning.

17 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

my missus got thru and got one of the tix we were trying to get for mates. I got the enter reg details page, but then got stuck in a queue beyond that, that I'm not sure was a genuine queue or the system messing up (I abandoned trying with that when Wednesday tix sold out).

The missus got thru on our normal broadband - the first time anyone in our house has got thru for at least 3 years. My own limited success was via an alternative ISP.

It worked, yep - but it was working for others who didn't use any special set-up, too.

Consequently it's impossible to know if the set-up you used gave any advantage.

Good Work

I got through on my phone yesterday. I basically loaded up the see tickets page before Ileft the office, and then at 17.50 started pressing refresh continuously, 18.00 got straight onto holding page, 18.02 got in after continuing to refresh. It was all very low-tech. I think the key is keep refreshing on one tab and hope you sneak in to the queue.

I'll now be helping out a group of six on sunday, hopefully with the same result!

I was using my work PC yesterday which has 6MB download speed - not great at all.

I had one Chrome window with one tab.  Just before 6pm, I clicked F5 and the booking page loaded straight away.  By 6.01pm I had booked all 4 coach tickets I needed from Bristol without encountering a single holding page or issue along the way.

Getting past the holding page/onto the booking page is just complete luck of the draw.  How quickly you get your details in is really the only thing you have control over.

I was holding a cat in the air Lion King style while pressing F5 with my tongue, got through immediately.

My mate tried the old fashioned way, with a very fast gerbil and got nothing. 

if anyone needs to borrow my cat on Sunday let me know, although you do need to be in good shape as he's huge.

9 minutes ago, COPG said:

I was holding a cat in the air Lion King style while pressing F5 with my tongue, got through immediately.

My mate tried the old fashioned way, with a very fast gerbil and got nothing. 

if anyone needs to borrow my cat on Sunday let me know, although you do need to be in good shape as he's huge.

Best post I've ever read on this forum 

4 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I therefore think that this year it is easier on phones than it used to be and they must have changed something to favour phones over laptops. 

No one in my house has got thru on broadband for at least the last 3 years but they did yesterday and they must have changed something to favour broadband over using phones. :D

You can make up any story you like to fit what happened, but it doesn't mean there's any accuracy to the story.

My two penneth..... on the advice in this thread I had 3 windows open (1 Opera, 1 Chrome & 1 Firefox) all with auto refresh set at 5 seconds. 

Had a fourth window open  (firefox) which was refreshed manually. It was this one i was successful with. 

Make of that what you will! 

Good luck folks :-)

I think its good to approach the http://glastonbury.seetickets.com/ from a few different angles.

i.e a couple of different browsers on the same machine, and if possible via different ISPs as well if possible (I use 1 Main PC + Work Laptop VPNed to work + 2 other laptops with RDP connections to some cloud VMs (I use Amazon AWS and Google Cloud)

This means I'm coming in from 4 different ISPs.

BUT, this in my opinion only really makes any difference if you are getting a slow reaction from your main ISP, and if you are refreshing all those connections at top speed.

If, as I found in the coach sale yesterday, you are getting a very quick loading of the holding page - then you are better off F5ing just the one connection and maximising the number of F5s you get before sellout or success.

So really, for all the complex setup (which I secretly enjoy of course) you are probably better off with just 1 connection and F5 away as many times as possible as the connection will allow.

For what its worth, last year I was successful in the main sale via a Cloud VM, last night was a failure (stopped after Weds sold out).

On Sunday I think I'll boot up all the alternatives, but really just concentrate on the one connection (fastest response).  

Probably a question that has been asked a million times (sorry for asking again) but once/if you get onto the booking page do you have a certain time limit to enter all the required details before the page times out? Last year I was fortunate enough to get tickets but I was shaking at this point, literally shi@#ng a brick that I would make a mistake and worrying that the time would run out! Any tips to make this easier? Cheers.