Ticketday: Whats your Internetspeed? Importance?

tullux

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, eFestivals said:

server sessions are done via a cookie, but are usually described in a different way - as server sessions - to a standard cookie.

Just a thought, but people have reported refreshing to booking page and found themselves back on the holding page. Wouldn't a cookie keep them connected to a particular server for a period of time (I've seen 10 minutes mentioned in the past)?

2 hours ago, jamesrfisher said:

I used 'Check 4 change' on Firefox

'Auto Refresh Plus' on Chrome

Can't say if they worked as I got through on Safari which i was manually refreshing in 2014, didn't try last year for this year.

Not that impressed with Auto Refresh Plus, at least not for the purposes of T Day. It carries on refreshing even when the page changes. You can set up a monitor which will alert you when the page changes but it's down to you to stop it, with the attendant risk that you'll refresh yourself back to the holding page.

58 minutes ago, musky said:

Not that impressed with Auto Refresh Plus, at least not for the purposes of T Day. It carries on refreshing even when the page changes. You can set up a monitor which will alert you when the page changes but it's down to you to stop it, with the attendant risk that you'll refresh yourself back to the holding page.

Not to mention that the Chrome version, at least, seems to come bundled with advertising malware  (Addon Jet ads)

EDIT- Just had a play around with the Opera version and it's the same

Edited by merago

3 hours ago, jamesrfisher said:

I used 'Check 4 change' on Firefox

'Auto Refresh Plus' on Chrome

Can't say if they worked as I got through on Safari which i was manually refreshing in 2014, didn't try last year for this year.

Ta! I'll give a look. 

1 hour ago, merago said:

Not to mention that the Chrome version, at least, seems to come bundled with advertising malware  (Addon Jet ads)

EDIT- Just had a play around with the Opera version and it's the same

Naughty. It doesn't seem to have installed any other extensions on my mac but I've uninstalled it anyway.

So, been following this topic with interest.. quite like how technical the whole thing has become / hasn't become and the lengths everyone's willing to go to to maximise their chances. B)

I'll be going with the F5 method as I'm 2 for 2 so far, for some reason i'm massively more nervous about this one than the last.

Any way I plan to have two laptops with both me and the Mrs pounding the keyboard, this is however on the same fibre connection.

I cant quite make out from this thread whether that is helping or hindering my chances?

Is it better to send her to a family members house or shouldn't it matter as its two different devices?

Stret

7 minutes ago, Stretlow said:

So, been following this topic with interest.. quite like how technical the whole thing has become / hasn't become and the lengths everyone's willing to go to to maximise their chances. B)

I'll be going with the F5 method as I'm 2 for 2 so far, for some reason i'm massively more nervous about this one than the last.

Any way I plan to have two laptops with both me and the Mrs pounding the keyboard, this is however on the same fibre connection.

I cant quite make out from this thread whether that is helping or hindering my chances?

Is it better to send her to a family members house or shouldn't it matter as its two different devices?

Stret

In theory it shouldn't matter where any 2nd trier is located, using the same connection as you or in a different house with different connection.

But, I'd say that being in 2 different places certainly wouldn't disadvantage you and, you never know, it might give an advantage for some strange reason.

Make a decision from that. :P

7 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

In theory it shouldn't matter where any 2nd trier is located, using the same connection as you or in a different house with different connection.

But, I'd say that being in 2 different places certainly wouldn't disadvantage you and, you never know, it might give an advantage for some strange reason.

Make a decision from that. :P

Well this is the method we've adopted the last two.. think i'll stick with it. if i changed it and we lose out i'll be fuming with myself.  

On 28/09/2016 at 9:36 AM, parsonjack said:

The only safe refresh rate is the variable one that involves your finger hitting F5 every time the holding page loads.

This is just not true. Otherwise, why not just wait for the 20 second auto reload on the page... to be extra safe?

Theres no such thing as an unsafe refresh rate, and honestly, the more times you can request a booking page from the seetickets server the better.

1 hour ago, GoonerRob said:

This is just not true. Otherwise, why not just wait for the 20 second auto reload on the page... to be extra safe?

Theres no such thing as an unsafe refresh rate, and honestly, the more times you can request a booking page from the seetickets server the better.

I guarantee you that refreshing at 20 times a second will most definitely be unsafe.

8 minutes ago, waterfalls212434 said:

Anyone know if the seetickets servers would be likely to identify you as a threat if you refreshed `to quickly` via flood/ddos controls etc? is that worry?

Most DDOS attacks are carried out by botnets, and as a result i'm not sure they would be able to distinguish between legitimate F5's and a DDOS attack that easily... especially as most users sit and hammer the F5 button anyway.... (i may be wrong im not a server guy, i work on front end web dev)....

17 minutes ago, waterfalls212434 said:

Anyone know if the seetickets servers would be likely to identify you as a threat if you refreshed `to quickly` via flood/ddos controls etc? is that worry?

I believe there's stuff in place to filter out too-often requests from the same one place.

Where the settings are for that I've no idea, tho it shouldn't be an issue for fast manual F5-ing. If you're using something that's faster than that then it's possible you might get blocked.

14 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I believe there's stuff in place to filter out too-often requests from the same one place.

Where the settings are for that I've no idea, tho it shouldn't be an issue for fast manual F5-ing. If you're using something that's faster than that then it's possible you might get blocked.

thats one worry I have regarding auto refresh tools.

2 hours ago, GoonerRob said:

What do you mean by unsafe? worked perfectly the last few years for me.

Surely there is no benefit in refreshing before the page has fully reloaded though? If you do how do you know that you wouldn't have got a booking page if you had let the page fully reload? And as this timescale will vary for the page to fully reload, surely there is such a thing as refreshing too much?

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Surely there is no benefit in refreshing before the page has fully reloaded though? If you do how do you know that you wouldn't have got a booking page if you had let the page fully reload? And as this timescale will vary for the page to fully reload, surely there is such a thing as refreshing too much?

They layout's very different, it's obvious early on.

Refreshing every ~2 seconds should be fine. I'd imagine any DDOS filtering would be set up to ignore something much more extreme, like hundreds a second or something like that.

I tend to have 3/4 browsers and switch between them every few seconds.

20 hours ago, Room to sway said:

They layout's very different, it's obvious early on.

Refreshing every ~2 seconds should be fine. I'd imagine any DDOS filtering would be set up to ignore something much more extreme, like hundreds a second or something like that.

I tend to have 3/4 browsers and switch between them every few seconds.

Is a 2 second frequency enough time for you to act, switching off the auto-refresh, before it refreshes again? 

45 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Is a 2 second frequency enough time for you to act, switching off the auto-refresh, before it refreshes again? 

Some of them you can customize an option to stop refreshing when a change in the page is detected, id use one of these to be safe if I was going down that route.