The Avalanches

Whittick

25 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

'hosts'? :P

It's not like it's secret that they'll do glasto, as Avalanches tweeted it months ago.

haha one day I'll manage to post on here with my phone without a typo!

yeah I know, just thought it was funny how unsubtle West Holts were! Also must mean the poster is very close as I remember the WH facebook page getting quite vocal in the week or two leading up to last year's poster dropping

13 minutes ago, simian_mobile_mushrooms said:

How long a slot d'ya reckon they'll get? Avalanches are a must see for me, it'd be great if they got over an hour, maybe 1 hr 15 minutes? Their recent setlists have looks wicked too - can't wait to have a cold cider and boogie

All the acts who played 3rd down WH last year got an hour so imagine they'll get the same.

32 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

What was 2001 like? We're they mixing other things live and playing over the top or was it just their own stuff? 

it was some stuff from the album, but also a lot of mixing.

It was the days before 2manydjs took the same ideas mainstream (so it probably doesn't sound so odd today) but one thing I remember was Madonna's 'like a virgin' being mixed together with bob dylan's 'like a rolling stone', which was mind-blowing cos I'd never heard stuff like that being done until then. 

3 minutes ago, Callum_96 said:

These are up there with seeing Radiohead for me, it's gonna be world class. Cider and sun watching the avalanches will be bliss. Hopefully Danny Brown will be on the farm on the Saturday as well and join them for his verses on Frankie Sinatra 

and Wozard 

1 minute ago, Mouseboy11 said:

'Right now'? :D

it was at the time I posted it ... I guess they've moved onto the wake now, till 4am at the Star & Garter. Dutty Ken would thoughly approve of that, I reckon. :)

And yes, Stapleton Road is often dreadsville/weedville, but in the 5 years i've lived nearby I've never seen that many dreads or clouds of smoke.

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

it was at the time I posted it ... I guess they've moved onto the wake now, till 4am at the Star & Garter. Dutty Ken would thoughly approve of that, I reckon. :)

And yes, Stapleton Road is often dreadsville/weedville, but in the 5 years i've lived nearby I've never seen that many dreads or clouds of smoke.

Most definitely! 

Haha was only joking, in all honesty it's definitely a part of Bristol I need to explore more.

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

they try to do parody via an exaggeration, and don't realise just how much they've understated it. 

It's just about compulsory everywhere I go. :lol:

I've not lived down that way for nearly 30 years, but it doesn't sound like it's changed much.  If anything the rest of the country has been catching up.

I love the Daily Mash's coverage of the city though:

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/bristol-declares-crackdown-on-cannabis-non-users-20160404107758

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/environment/bristol-fog-smells-suspiciously-of-skunk-2014112793220

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

The burgundy VW van with the efestivals sticker wouldn't happen to be yours would it?

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

Jamaicans have a 9 day wake! They have it Sussed 

They were on stage for about an hour at Field Day, though I heard their stage plans were heavily compromised due to Visa issues so I'm interested to see what happens this summer, I enjoyed what I saw at Field Day though, the crowd were hungry for their big songs and the rest meandered around quite nicely.

21 minutes ago, siweltrebor said:

They were on stage for about an hour at Field Day, though I heard their stage plans were heavily compromised due to Visa issues so I'm interested to see what happens this summer, I enjoyed what I saw at Field Day though, the crowd were hungry for their big songs and the rest meandered around quite nicely.

I made a playlist for them on Spotters from their last couple of shows in January or Feb - they were near identical and it lasts exactly an hour with all the major songs in there. Guess they could cut out one song just so they could have more banter with the crowd. Do they speak a lot during their set or they a set up and play with nothing in between type group?