Latitude Festival 2017

scatteredscreens

3 hours ago, evannn said:

Probably, although you do get the odd third stage headliner.

Agreed. Very glam rock influenced, plenty of Bowie imitation in their style even if the quality isn't quite there yet. If they were slightly less popular among teen girls I imagine they'd get a lot less stick 

On the three times I've been, the Sunrise has always been so close to providing a really quality dance experience after the headliner, but I just don't think it's a huge priority for Latitude. It's just not that sort of a festival. And yet with the hoards of teenagers that flood the woods at night, you'd think that by now they'd have really ramped up that side of the line-up. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised but, as I implied, I've become spoiled for techno at Glastonbury...

:)

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

My bad, just Foals in 08. Still, The 1975 can't be a V Festival band when they've never played there - they've played Reading a bunch of times at a similar rate that Foals and Maccabees have so I don't see how they're a different proposition. As said, rising indie bands popular with a younger crowd. Some people might like one and not the other but it's not a change in direction.

Foals DJ set in 98. My point wasn't if Foals/Maccabees had played V festival 9 years ago but more that the 1975 are suited to current day V festival as opposed to Latitude.

Guessing I'm just gutted that they're potentially one of the 3 headliners

28 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

On the three times I've been, the Sunrise has always been so close to providing a really quality dance experience after the headliner, but I just don't think it's a huge priority for Latitude. It's just not that sort of a festival. And yet with the hoards of teenagers that flood the woods at night, you'd think that by now they'd have really ramped up that side of the line-up. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised but, as I implied, I've become spoiled for techno at Glastonbury...

Ben

They seem to be slightly improving the after dark entertainment, mostly not techno though. James Holden in the sunrise was one of my favourite latitude sets, and I think they had Andy Stott in the film tent last year. 

12 minutes ago, evannn said:

They seem to be slightly improving the after dark entertainment, mostly not techno though. James Holden in the sunrise was one of my favourite latitude sets, and I think they had Andy Stott in the film tent last year. 

Wow! That's a couple of high quality electronica artists there, and I'd be happy with that sort of calibre - though I never want to be inside at night...

Saying that, I have had a couple of pretty fun night time sessions in the F&M tent in the past. It's funny thinking back to Latitude as it was my first real festival experience...excited to be back after four years away.

Ben

If its Mumford and sons they probably had to settle for a latitude slot because no big UK festival wanted them. Still touring the same album from 2015, this will be their third full festival circuit off of the back of that album. Roughly the same setlist every night... Surely they must get bored of themselves. 

Personally, I liked Sigh no more and babel but In my eyes, they lost their identity when they released the "electric" sounding Wilder Mind. It could've been a snow patrol record. 

I'd be disappointed if they were announced but they're a good booking for the festival. I've passed up the opportunity to see them three times, and this will be my fourth.

6 hours ago, Hawky said:

If its Mumford and sons they probably had to settle for a latitude slot because no big UK festival wanted them. Still touring the same album from 2015, this will be their third full festival circuit off of the back of that album. Roughly the same setlist every night... Surely they must get bored of themselves. 

Personally, I liked Sigh no more and babel but In my eyes, they lost their identity when they released the "electric" sounding Wilder Mind. It could've been a snow patrol record. 

I agree they lost their identity on the 3rd record, but another version of Sigh No More would have been too much.

There's certainly a gap in their schedule for Latitude with other European dates in the summer confirmed so they are a possibility.

2 minutes ago, ives56 said:

Another picture from Facebook surly confirms them 

IMG_0103.JPG

Yeah I agree, the caption on twitter was some co-ordinates, meaning longitude and latitude whatever way round it goes. Seen them live three times and they know how to put on a show. Solid act imo. 

15 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Hey @retromoz!!

Long time no forum exchange!

I'm back at Latitude this year for the first time since 2013, bringing Child 3 to his first festival.

Have you been every year? Is it still rather good? will I still be rather disappointed that there's no properly good dance music (read: techno) until stupid o'clock? Will Glastonbury have ruined me forever as far as Latitude is concerned?

Ben

Hey Ben!!! :)

I Didn't go last year due to early baby issues (first daughter born 8 weeks early. Thankfully, after 91 days in hospital, including 2 emergency ops, she is doing well. Another op in a fortnight, but all planned and non panic'y. This years latitude will be her first! But i digress...), but i hear it was a classic year, despite the headliners being about as inspiring as a turd in a pint. Thats why, whilst its a bit rubbish if the headliners are naff, it does not matter one iota. There is ALWAYS something to watch/do/see etc.

BUT....2015 was a blast. I think there is more dance-y stuff late at night, especially in the sunrise arena (someone else will have to confirm, im too old for that. My knees hurt thinking about doing a groove....) Also, ive never been to glasto, so cant compare. But, anecdotally, i believe its comparable. What you lose in the amount of things to do, you gain in the distance between the things to do at the 'tude. No 45-minute trek between arenas etc. 

1 hour ago, harryy said:

Yeah I agree, the caption on twitter was some co-ordinates, meaning longitude and latitude whatever way round it goes. Seen them live three times and they know how to put on a show. Solid act imo. 

Maybe they are going to be headlining both Latitude and Longitude festivals, taking place on the same weekend???  Longitude's announcement is tomorrow, 1st March - http://www.longitude.ie/ 

6 minutes ago, andytommo said:

Maybe they are going to be headlining both Latitude and Longitude festivals, taking place on the same weekend???  Longitude's announcement is tomorrow, 1st March - http://www.longitude.ie/ 

They're doing a massive show the other side of Dublin in summer so they won't be showing up at Longitude, I don't reckon.