Latitude Festival 2017

scatteredscreens

5 hours ago, retromoz said:

God.....

The thought of Mumford/1975 is dire, isnt it? It seems they are going for popularity rather than credibility. Less 6 music & more radio 2.

Still, the undercard is always good. Not just music either. So they will be SOMETHING else to see whilst they trudge through their aural diarrhea....

Hey @retromoz!!

Long time no forum exchange!

I'm back at Latitude this year for the first time since 2013, bringing Child 3 to his first festival.

Have you been every year? Is it still rather good? will I still be rather disappointed that there's no properly good dance music (read: techno) until stupid o'clock? Will Glastonbury have ruined me forever as far as Latitude is concerned?

:)

Ben

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, adequate8 said:

how are they no different? very different from foals/maccabees and 1975 surely suit a V lineup more than a Latitude one?

I would say that The 1975 are slightly less manufactured as you'd assume. Their latest album challengers their listeners (who generally are young teenagers who'd normally be at V Festival) with six-minute long instrumentals and quite ambiguous (and incredibly pretentious) lyrics so they aren't as 1D as one could assume. I'm not a fan of them but I admire them for challenging an audience full of people who could find themselves listening to formulaic chart music which I would argue the 1975 aren't

4 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Hey @retromoz!!

Long time no forum exchange!

I'm back at Latitude this year for the first time since 2013, bringing Child 3 to his first festival.

Have you been every year? Is it still rather good? will I still be rather disappointed that there's no properly good dance music (read: techno) until stupid o'clock? Will Glastonbury have ruined me forever as far as Latitude is concerned?

:)

Ben

Probably, although you do get the odd third stage headliner.

4 minutes ago, finn_with_1_n said:

I would say that The 1975 are slightly less manufactured as you'd assume. Their latest album challengers their listeners (who generally are young teenagers who'd normally be at V Festival) with six-minute long instrumentals and quite ambiguous (and incredibly pretentious) lyrics so they aren't as 1D as one could assume. I'm not a fan of them but I admire them for challenging an audience full of people who could find themselves listening to formulaic chart music which I would argue the 1975 aren't

Agreed. Very glam rock influenced, plenty of Bowie imitation in their style even if the quality isn't quite there yet. If they were slightly less popular among teen girls I imagine they'd get a lot less stick 

21 minutes ago, adequate8 said:

how are they no different? very different from foals/maccabees and 1975 surely suit a V lineup more than a Latitude one?

The friday headline spot at Latitude seems to be reserved for the next up and coming Indie band, especially in recent years with: Alt J/ Two Door/ Maccabees. The next logical step would be 1975 to headline, especially after their year. 

16 minutes ago, evannn said:

Probably, although you do get the odd third stage headliner.

Agreed. Very glam rock influenced, plenty of Bowie imitation in their style even if the quality isn't quite there yet. If they were slightly less popular among teen girls I imagine they'd get a lot less stick 

Completely agree about their audience putting people off. I believe it puts people off more than the music.

It's plausible for 1975\mumfords\LDR

Mumfords aren't that welcomed among the youth, nowhere near as much as 1975 and LDR anyway. So those 3 on the obselik would be within rationality. Wouldn't be my pick though, mumfords only good for the sales. 1975 aren't exciting enough to headline

as for 6 music, Flaming Lips\ 1975 would be a black and white choice for most. Could see a culture divide there, not to assume that'd mean an age divide though. Popsters to the obselik, acid heads to 6 music ;)

would've loved bonobo, but someone mentioned he's quite busy already.

i'd guess Lana on the Saturday \ Crystal fighters' on the 6 stage? Not sure if they'd add an electronic act to go up against mumfords on the Sunday if crystal fighters had headlined 6 music the previous night. Though could they go for Orbital there?

roll on Wednesday

7 minutes ago, adequate8 said:

when have foals or the maccabees played V? 

My bad, just Foals in 08. Still, The 1975 can't be a V Festival band when they've never played there - they've played Reading a bunch of times at a similar rate that Foals and Maccabees have so I don't see how they're a different proposition. As said, rising indie bands popular with a younger crowd. Some people might like one and not the other but it's not a change in direction.

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

My bad, just Foals in 08. Still, The 1975 can't be a V Festival band when they've never played there - they've played Reading a bunch of times at a similar rate that Foals and Maccabees have so I don't see how they're a different proposition. As said, rising indie bands popular with a younger crowd. Some people might like one and not the other but it's not a change in direction.

Different audiences for the bands. But otherwise agree.

2 minutes ago, aidenlangan95 said:

Different audiences for the bands. But otherwise agree.

Don't really know much about their fans tbh. But I can imagine Maccabees fans are at least older - their slot didn't seem much of an 'upcoming band' one in hindsight.

1 minute ago, Hawky said:

I think people are overlooking the Pixies...

They're in Finland on the Sunday of Latitude and Lithuania a couple of days before the festival. Seems a long round trip when they've nuff UK shows already.

Just now, dirty_dog said:

surely Latitude wouldn't be getting sloppy seconds off Blue Dot a week later?

it's a festival less than half it's size

You'd like to think so. But a combination of: booking Mumford won't be cheap, the Pixies would go down a treat at Latitude, its not a repeat booking and it fits the "classic sunday headliner".

Also, all knowledge of "headline exclusive" at Blue dot has disappeared. I've since tweeted blue dot looking for clarification on this.

Would pixies except a sub slot at Latitude? 

28 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They're in Finland on the Sunday of Latitude and Lithuania a couple of days before the festival. Seems a long round trip when they've nuff UK shows already.

I've checked this out:

12/07 - Slovenia 

15/07- Latitude 

16/07 - Finland 

Isn't that demanding. 

I saw immortal technique last year at Roskilde and he did three shows, in three different countries, in one day. I believe he played Romania / Netherlands and Denmark. 

4 minutes ago, Hawky said:

I've checked this out:

12/07 - Slovenia 

15/07- Latitude 

16/07 - Finland 

Isn't that demanding. 

I saw immortal technique last year at Roskilde and he did three shows, in three different countries, in one day. I believe he played Romania / Netherlands and Denmark. 

Oh man I said Lithuania and I've been to Ljubljana. :(

It's not super demanding, no. But like I said, they've got a few UK shows so no real need to jet right across Europe for another one. In addition to that, I couldn't see FR letting them headline other [cheaper] events in this country and they'd likely headline the Sunday if they were in with a chance.

Just now, dentalplan said:

Oh man I said Lithuania and I've been to Ljubljana. :(

It's not super demanding, no. But like I said, they've got a few UK shows so no real need to jet right across Europe for another one. In addition to that, I couldn't see FR letting them headline other [cheaper] events in this country and they'd likely headline the Sunday if they were in with a chance.

I agree with everything youre saying, I'm just concerned with the fact the Blue dot have dropped the "UK festival headline exclusive" tag and that matching up with lack of festivals yet to announce as well as how well they fit everything about Latitude.

57 minutes ago, Hawky said:

That's from 4/02...

This to me says they're headlining somewhere else:

Screenshot_20170227-195828.png

Not really because they're already playing a date in London at BST supporting KOL, so a northern exclusive makes sense.  

Is 'UK headline exclusive' even a thing? Why would it be good to advertise your act as a headline exclusive when they're playing lower down somewhere else, surely that just devalues the whole concept. 

3 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Not really because they're already playing a date in London at BST supporting KOL, so a northern exclusive makes sense.  

Is 'UK headline exclusive' even a thing? Why would it be good to advertise your act as a headline exclusive when they're playing lower down somewhere else, surely that just devalues the whole concept. 

They coined the phrase, I hadn't heard it before. But if the Pixies still were a "UK Headline exclusive"- why wouldn't they answer my tweet with "both"... Says to me something's come to light in the last three weeks.