NFR NFC 2017 - The friendly thread for lovely people

Quark

2 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Hello NFR lovelies!

Another of my, now customary, apologies for being so dreadfully absent from these fine pages. As many of you know, I am a bit of a creature of habit, and after 'my festival' feel a need to get back to normal life a bit, after my 6+ months of total obsession. Unfortunately, for someone of my OCD tendencies, that contact is a binary all or nothing - in short, I tend to bugger off completely. And there I shall remain, pretty much, until such time that the wonderful ticket gods deem to shine on me once more and make me the happiest boy in the world, by virtue of a GF2017 golden ticket.

Apologies too, therefore, for not being up to speed with everyone's news, happiness, travails and the like. I hope you're all well, with negligible sadness of any kind all 'round!

Just thought I'd pop in to say a brief 'Hi' and to let you know that (for those who were so kind to offer advice last year) Sunday saw Mrs Benny and me deposit the not-always-delightful Child 1 at the London School of Economics to start his university life. I was proud, I was tearful, he was quite a bit lovely.

Anyway, just to confirm that those of you (all of you, basically) who had been in the 'it'll all be alright in the end...' camp were, maddeningly, entirely correct of course!

Love to everyone, and massive positive thoughts for T Day. NFR and, more importantly, NFC.

Ben
xx

Ben

Good to see you back around these parts, and may the ticket gods shine on you (and all of us)

Glad to hear that Child1 was deposited safely- the next chapter is here, and I'm sure child1 will be on the phone shortly to send more funds as freshers week has been too much fun :-)

If t-day is not kind, I too will be adopting your approach and disappearing for a period of time to lick my wounds and work out next steps !

FFxx

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Ben

Good to see you back around these parts, and may the ticket gods shine on you (and all of us)

Glad to hear that Child1 was deposited safely- the next chapter is here, and I'm sure child1 will be on the phone shortly to send more funds as freshers week has been too much fun :-)

If t-day is not kind, I too will be adopting your approach and disappearing for a period of time to lick my wounds and work out next steps !

FFxx

Thanks, FF

It's good to be back, if only a little bit, until the fate of the 9th is known...Eek!

Ben
x

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm getting very excited for new Gorillaz stuff.  They're each phase of their history one evening at a time.  Two days ago is was the first album, yesterday Demon Days stuff, presumably tonight is Plastic Beach and tomorrow... new single at least, got to be.  I've always been a big fan of their recorded output and was one of the few that enjoyed them at Glasto in 2010 and then later that at MEN.  It's more lively, varied and uplifting than Blur for me.  

Damon seems to be indicating he's knocking the melancholy on the head for this album, expecting something much better than his first proper solo album (although I loved Mali Music).

Really can't wait, it's my most anticipated release of the year, for sure.

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm getting very excited for new Gorillaz stuff.  They're each phase of their history one evening at a time.  Two days ago is was the first album, yesterday Demon Days stuff, presumably tonight is Plastic Beach and tomorrow... new single at least, got to be.  I've always been a big fan of their recorded output and was one of the few that enjoyed them at Glasto in 2010 and then later that at MEN.  It's more lively, varied and uplifting than Blur for me.  

Damon seems to be indicating he's knocking the melancholy on the head for this album, expecting something much better than his first proper solo album (although I loved Mali Music).

Really can't wait, it's my most anticipated release of the year, for sure.

do you think he'll have any involvement in next years MIF?  not necessarily Gorillaz, cos he's done that before.

it'll be good to have Gorillaz back though, they're always full of good ideas.  it's a pity that Glastonbury show didn't quite come off cos it had more imagination than any other headliner i can recall.  and half of The Clash.

Blur are still rubbish though (except for Beetlebum and Out of Time, obvs).

6 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

do you think he'll have any involvement in next years MIF?  not necessarily Gorillaz, cos he's done that before.

it'll be good to have Gorillaz back though, they're always full of good ideas.  it's a pity that Glastonbury show didn't quite come off cos it had more imagination than any other headliner i can recall.  and half of The Clash.

Blur are still rubbish though (except for Beetlebum and Out of Time, obvs).

Wouldn't surprise me if he does some totally different thing.  He's already done at least one opera for the festival, as well as the Gorillaz thing.  The man doesn't waste any time.

Out Of Time eh?  Obviously Beetlebum is great, but of all the other decent songs you pick Out of Time?  I mean, I like it, but it's no Tender.

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

Wouldn't surprise me if he does some totally different thing.  He's already done at least one opera for the festival, as well as the Gorillaz thing.  The man doesn't waste any time.

Out Of Time eh?  Obviously Beetlebum is great, but of all the other decent songs you pick Out of Time?  I mean, I like it, but it's no Tender.

that's because Tender is awful.  really, really awful.

I was really disappointed with the Gorillaz set in 2010.  It sounded great, but just didn't seem to fit.  I don't know if their stuff just doesn't transfer that well to a festival stage setting,  but would like to see them on their own terms at some point.

6 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

It's no "the end" then.

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Which is no "This Is a Low"

as i said above, there's only two half-decent Blur tunes, and i listed them.  the rest are rubbish and anyone who disagrees is to be pitied their ears of cloth.  or forced to look at videos of Alex James.

A bloke came in to the shop today and bought a shirt. My wife (drunk) insisted that if he wanted the shirt wrapped then he had to call her Miss Brahms (As in off 'Are you being Served'). He duly obliged and the shirt was wrapped up for him. I then asked him what he did for a living. He said that he was a musician in a band. I asked him what band and he said 'My Bloody Valentine'. We may have had our first 'celebrity' customer - or he could have just been another one of our delusional customers. lol  He said that his name was Michael but I can't see anyone called that associated with the band. However, that could be a result of inadequate searching ( I couldn't be bothered looking for too long).

12 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

A bloke came in to the shop today and bought a shirt. My wife (drunk) insisted that if he wanted the shirt wrapped then he had to call her Miss Brahms (As in off 'Are you being Served'). He duly obliged and the shirt was wrapped up for him. I then asked him what he did for a living. He said that he was a musician in a band. I asked him what band and he said 'My Bloody Valentine'. We may have had our first 'celebrity' customer - or he could have just been another one of our delusional customers. lol  He said that his name was Michael but I can't see anyone called that associated with the band. However, that could be a result of inadequate searching ( I couldn't be bothered looking for too long).

Agreed, I can't find anything like that.  Wikipedia says:

Members

Past members

56 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Agreed, I can't find anything like that.  Wikipedia says:

Members

Past members

The odd thing is that he really did appear to be genuine. You can normally sense when you are talking to a nutjob fantasist. He was very well dressed and articulate. If you put a gun against my head and asked me to choose whether he was something to do with the band or not I would say that he was. I wished I'd asked him further questions about it now.

13 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

The odd thing is that he really did appear to be genuine. You can normally sense when you are talking to a nutjob fantasist. He was very well dressed and articulate. If you put a gun against my head and asked me to choose whether he was something to do with the band or not I would say that he was. I wished I'd asked him further questions about it now.

Maybe 'Michael' is his pseudonym, so he doesn't get mobbed by fans while he is role-playing as 70's sitcom characters in eccentric boutiques.