NFR NFC 2017 - The friendly thread for lovely people

Quark

38 minutes ago, mr gumby said:

Afternoon all :)

What happened to the heat wave we were supposed to be getting, then? Mrs gumby and I planned a nice walk in the countryside followed by a pub lunch for our anniversary, and we've had bleedin' thu*der st*rms!! 

Think we've had it all here Gumby.  Spent the afternoon sticking to my office chair

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're having the loft converted. What's that Burt Bacharach song from Butch Cassidy? That. I really want NFR, and I'm not prepared to compromise. We now have 7 buckets strategically placed around the bedrooms.

53 minutes ago, carlosj said:

We're having the loft converted. What's that Burt Bacharach song from Butch Cassidy? That. I really want NFR, and I'm not prepared to compromise. We now have 7 buckets strategically placed around the bedrooms.

Wishing you all the best as far as the wet stuff goes. Having that extra space in the loft will be worth all the upset, believe me. What are you having done up there in terms of room(s)?

9 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Wishing you all the best as far as the wet stuff goes. Having that extra space in the loft will be worth all the upset, believe me. What are you having done up there in terms of room(s)?

Cheers Yog.  It's been a long time coming but it will be worth it.  The loft is being the bedroom for the middle daughter and we get her room back as 'the office', aka my Man Cave.  It should be weather tight by tomorrow. My ceremonial music for opening the Man Cave for business will be Highway 61 Revisited by Bobness.

How's your work stuff coming along?

Man Cave Opening Party has a ring to it Carlos :) Hope you get it all weather proof on time and get the buckets out of the house!

For once we've got nothing on this weekend so actually really looking forward to being at home and getting some work done around the place myself, but nothing quite on the scale of a loft conversion!  Biggest one is probably giving the grapevine an overdue pruning; need to get as much sunshine on those bad boys as possible if the plans for bottling 2016 vintage Chateau Quark are going to go ahead!

NFR NFC beeyatches :)

2 hours ago, carlosj said:

Cheers Yog.  It's been a long time coming but it will be worth it.  The loft is being the bedroom for the middle daughter and we get her room back as 'the office', aka my Man Cave.  It should be weather tight by tomorrow. My ceremonial music for opening the Man Cave for business will be Highway 61 Revisited by Bobness.

I love that album, especially Queen Jane and Desolation Row.  Good luck with the conversion work, we did our loft years ago to make a spare bedroom, but it's become more of a storage room for all the stuff we don't know what to do with! In a couple of years, I think gumby jr will probably move up there, and his current room can become my man cave :)

4 hours ago, carlosj said:

Well at the moment we are 'kind of' surviving on what my wife makes at her shop. However, we've just been hit with two bomb shells - the campervan engine has started making a strange louder noise than usual, plus the insurance is up on it at the end of the month.

As an aside from that I did put my CV up on the net last week. Yesterday at just after 5pm I received a call from a Facilities Management company asking me to come in for a job interview today at 4.30pm. My problem is that deep down I don't want to go back in to the building maintenance surveying line of work. So, I am just about to write back to them thanking them for their job offer but turning them down. It may be a mad thing to do but hey ho.

6 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Well at the moment we are 'kind of' surviving on what my wife makes at her shop. However, we've just been hit with two bomb shells - the campervan engine has started making a strange louder noise than usual, plus the insurance is up on it at the end of the month.

As an aside from that I did put my CV up on the net last week. Yesterday at just after 5pm I received a call from a Facilities Management company asking me to come in for a job interview today at 4.30pm. My problem is that deep down I don't want to go back in to the building maintenance surveying line of work. So, I am just about to write back to them thanking them for their job offer but turning them down. It may be a mad thing to do but hey ho.

hello Yog! 

Mad or not, if it's not want you want to do, then don't do it. Didnt you leave your old job cos it was pants? 

Hopefully your wife's shop will pick up as word spreads :) 

14 minutes ago, lucyginger said:

hello Yog! 

Mad or not, if it's not want you want to do, then don't do it. Didnt you leave your old job cos it was pants? 

Hopefully your wife's shop will pick up as word spreads :) 

Thanks lucy. I did leave my last job because it was pants. There is some talk of me taking over someone's gardening round. They have been taken ill and can no longer do it. However, this potential opportunity has coincided with my lawn mower having decided to have a breakdown. I may just join it! There is also the fact that with summer over there would be less gardening work to do in the coming months.

On the up side of things I picked up a load of broken electrical appliances this morning and a stack of electrical leads yesterday evening free off two people who had advertised the stuff for free on Gumtree. I'm going to make me a full sized cyborg. I already have the mannequin to use as a sub base.

12 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Thanks lucy. I did leave my last job because it was pants. There is some talk of me taking over someone's gardening round. They have been taken ill and can no longer do it. However, this potential opportunity has coincided with my lawn mower having decided to have a breakdown. I may just join it! There is also the fact that with summer over there would be less gardening work to do in the coming months.

On the up side of things I picked up a load of broken electrical appliances this morning and a stack of electrical leads yesterday evening free off two people who had advertised the stuff for free on Gumtree. I'm going to make me a full sized cyborg. I already have the mannequin to use as a sub base.

Now that I would like to see.  The cyborg, not your breakdown obviously ;)

Sure it'll all come together Yog.  I sympathise with the feeling of being in a job you hate; I've been so much more like my old self since I left the last one.  I'm still in the same line of work but with a company that suits me better, but I still know deep down it's not what I want to be doing.

Is there the option of taking something along the FM lines to tide you over while you figure out what to do?  That's the plan for mine, taking a couple of years in a job I can live with while I try to figure out exactly what to do long term.

The gardening round sounds lovely! You could do that while looking for something else, it's got to be better than nothing! I definitelyu agree you shouldnt stay in a job you hate, however one does need to pay one's bills. I hope you find something soon. 

Love the idea of a cyborg. If your heads are anything to go by, it'll be wonderful :) 

Scruffy - just don't. We all know. 

14 minutes ago, Quark said:

Now that I would like to see.  The cyborg, not your breakdown obviously ;)

Sure it'll all come together Yog.  I sympathise with the feeling of being in a job you hate; I've been so much more like my old self since I left the last one.  I'm still in the same line of work but with a company that suits me better, but I still know deep down it's not what I want to be doing.

Is there the option of taking something along the FM lines to tide you over while you figure out what to do?  That's the plan for mine, taking a couple of years in a job I can live with while I try to figure out exactly what to do long term.

I've already done a couple of cyborg torsos. I'll see if I can get the photos on here somehow.

As far as the job thing goes I'm kind of lost. I know what I don't want to do but haven't got much of a clue as to what I would like to do. I'm not lazy but really don't want to go in to a job where there's a lot of pressure. I don't think that I can take pressure anymore. However, you don't find that many well paid low pressure jobs. My wife's shop might pick up a bit as it's close to a student area and they all come back next week. Here's hoping.

11 minutes ago, lucyginger said:

The gardening round sounds lovely! You could do that while looking for something else, it's got to be better than nothing! I definitelyu agree you shouldnt stay in a job you hate, however one does need to pay one's bills. I hope you find something soon. 

Love the idea of a cyborg. If your heads are anything to go by, it'll be wonderful :) 

Scruffy - just don't. We all know. 

The gardening job does sound nice but me taking it over is all a bit embryonic at the moment. Time will tell.