Madabout G

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's an interesting conundrum - at what stage does an artist accept that they can no longer realistically headline the Pyramid Stage and are willing to do the Sunday Legends slot? Someone started a thread about Elton John, and he is a good example of someone who is a huge-selling artist, known worldwide and can still play stadiums, yet probably isn't contemporary enough or have the street-cred to headline. I could seem him doing the Legends slot as some stage, I could even imagine him being a sub on the Pyramid, but he would be a disappointing headliner. On the other hand, if Bowie survived into old age he could have headlined no problem. Where do people like David Gilmour fit in? His tickets sell in minutes and he is hugely influential but again it's hard to imagine him headlining, and also hard to imagine him taking on the Legends spot. Ditto Queen (and Adam Lambert). Had Freddie still been around they would still be selling stadiums and headlining festivals. But as things stand, would Brian May accept the a Legends spots?

1 hour ago, play it cool said:

It's an interesting conundrum - at what stage does an artist accept that they can no longer realistically headline the Pyramid Stage and are willing to do the Sunday Legends slot? Someone started a thread about Elton John, and he is a good example of someone who is a huge-selling artist, known worldwide and can still play stadiums, yet probably isn't contemporary enough or have the street-cred to headline. I could seem him doing the Legends slot as some stage, I could even imagine him being a sub on the Pyramid, but he would be a disappointing headliner. On the other hand, if Bowie survived into old age he could have headlined no problem. Where do people like David Gilmour fit in? His tickets sell in minutes and he is hugely influential but again it's hard to imagine him headlining, and also hard to imagine him taking on the Legends spot. Ditto Queen (and Adam Lambert). Had Freddie still been around they would still be selling stadiums and headlining festivals. But as things stand, would Brian May accept the a Legends spots?

Pretty sure Dave Gilmour (or Roger Waters) would expect to be headliners or, at a push, sub-headliner. Iirc Waters was technically the headliner, but played second-to-last about a decade ago (plus recently headlined the super-gig thing in the states), and I think Gilmour would expect the same.

I expect it's as much to do with artist egos as it has to do with public opinion or anything else.

If I remember correctly 'Queen' wanted to headline a year or two back, but that'd be a huge letdown in my opinion. Elton probably makes sense as a legend slot these days but, to be honest, I'd be pretty fine with him as a headliner in a year when the other nights had a massive act.

Where would Tom Waits be?

Edited by pjadnoo

5 hours ago, play it cool said:

Why on earth would David gilmour play at Glastonbury after the festival callously denied his cancer-stricken best friend's dying wish to reform pink floyd and play at the festival, deciding that it was more important that kings of Leon played?

7 hours ago, play it cool said:

It's an interesting conundrum - at what stage does an artist accept that they can no longer realistically headline the Pyramid Stage and are willing to do the Sunday Legends slot?

The festival should hype the slot a bit more.

For the right act, that slot has the biggest crowd of the weekend and just as much promotion via the BBC as the headliners. It can be a fourth headliner slot, they should work that to soothe performer's egos. Though I guess the pay is considerably different.

Dreamt last night that Tony Christie headlined Glastonbury. Seems altogether pretty unlikely but could be more suited to this legends slot? Perhaps not on the strength of about 2 famous songs though.

My perfect legend slot act would be either The Kinks or Cher. Both seem unlikely.

Edited by danegg