Madabout G

1 hour ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I'd heard of the door. I didn't know it was cardboard. I'm less impressed now. 

Was the message "shut up and play the hits. This is a massive fucking hint, Steveo."

I think the more important question I've just been asking myself is:

What the fuck was I doing there?

I mean, come on, he's hardly Level 42, is he.

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, mungo57 said:

I know they only played a few years ago but I have proper been throwing back recently and listening to an awful lot of Pixies. Put them on in the legends slot - that would be fantastic!

Nah. Too difficult to mock / generally take the piss out of.

6 hours ago, The Nal said:

Were people expecting Shakin Stevens to be any good?! :wacko:

I've stopped going to the crap novelty act that everyone turns up for now.  Always heavily oversubscribed for wherever they are playing (eg: 2009, Rolf and East 17, both borderline dangerous, not just because of the sex offender or Brian Harvey's class A consumption) and basically you are going to spend ages getting into and out of a packed field to spend 45 mins watching something so shit you'd turn over if it was on the telly.

19 minutes ago, Spindles said:

I've stopped going to the crap novelty act that everyone turns up for now.  Always heavily oversubscribed for wherever they are playing (eg: 2009, Rolf and East 17, both borderline dangerous, not just because of the sex offender or Brian Harvey's class A consumption) and basically you are going to spend ages getting into and out of a packed field to spend 45 mins watching something so shit you'd turn over if it was on the telly.

Depends on the act I think.  Lionel I thoroughly enjoyed, but then I've always enjoyed his stuff anyway.  But yes, novelty for novelty's sake is quite likely a waste of time.

the problem I saw with ELO

is yeas they are good, yes the music is good. Mostly only people who know music know about ELO. I had people asking em what they did and when  you start saying songs and they only know Mr Blue Sky 

where as Dolly and Lionel , everyone knows the songs from kids to grannies. and they are all good songs. I like the legends slot. but I do fear  they will run out of legends soon . 

I didn't watch ELO combination of mud and rain , watched it back and I am glad I didn't go. If I had of missed Lionel which had the biggest crowd I think I have ever seen I would still be crying now

7 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

where as Dolly and Lionel , everyone knows the songs from kids to grannies. and they are all good songs. I like the legends slot. but I do fear  they will run out of legends soon . 

Now I wasn't there for Dolly but probably wouldn't have gone if I had been, for much the reason that Spindles said.  I only know 3 of her songs I think (9 to 5, Jolene, I Will Always...) so it would have been a novelty thing.

I think the good thing with the Legends slot is that it's never officially been confirmed as that, so if they chose to move away from it rather than book shite then it wouldn't be too much of a problem.  Would upset the day trippers and the bucket list / BBC coverage types more than those who have been a few times.

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Now I wasn't there for Dolly but probably wouldn't have gone if I had been, for much the reason that Spindles said.  I only know 3 of her songs I think (9 to 5, Jolene, I Will Always...) so it would have been a novelty thing.

I think the good thing with the Legends slot is that it's never officially been confirmed as that, so if they chose to move away from it rather than book shite then it wouldn't be too much of a problem.  Would upset the day trippers and the bucket list / BBC coverage types more than those who have been a few times.

you should try and watch the Dolly set on Line, you will know more than you think,  I agree though they haven't really claimed it as that spot and you can see why.

4 hours ago, shuttlep said:

the problem I saw with ELO

is yeas they are good, yes the music is good. Mostly only people who know music know about ELO. I had people asking em what they did and when  you start saying songs and they only know Mr Blue Sky 

I didn't watch ELO combination of mud and rain , watched it back and I am glad I didn't go. If I had of missed Lionel which had the biggest crowd I think I have ever seen I would still be crying now

Missed Lionel as field too packed to get in but not really arsed. ELO were very good, played their stuff perfectly but there wasn't any cheese. Unfortunately that slot has gained a reputation with Dolly and Lionel which is impossible to out cheese. Barry's Gibb and Manilow could probably do it and do it well if that's what is needed.

Personally I'm happier if they get bands with great songs who can play them well.

I'd be there for Barry Gibb mind.

8 hours ago, mungo57 said:

I know they only played a few years ago but I have proper been throwing back recently and listening to an awful lot of Pixies. Put them on in the legends slot - that would be fantastic!

Can't imagine Pixies on the pyramid personally. Not mainstream enough for the legends slot imo. They'd be a bigger Deal if they got the original bassist back, mind. It'd be more likely then.

On Sunday, July 03, 2016 at 1:17 PM, incident said:

92 or 94, depending on who you talk to would be the most common answers.

Although they skipped 2003 and the exact spot within the bill has changed slightly in some years - while it's usually 4th from top, it's occasionally been 3rd or 5th and the typical start time has changed as the Festival now has much longer breaks between sets than it used to especially towards the top of the bill.

My understanding was that this late Sunday afternoon slot was filled by an artist that Micheal 's late wife Jean (who sadly died in 1999) would enjoy . But don't know when Michael started that, though it was so when I first went in 98, nor when they started to call it the Legends slot

On 21 July 2016 at 7:17 AM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Sorry - I meant the lads who did The Story of Simon Simopath.

You know, to stop any moaning from the audience, they'd need to call him Simon Simoalley.