Best headliner IYHO

cowmadiddy

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chic 2013 on West Holts (my first Glastonbury) and Arcade Fire 2014 for me. Both incredible sets. The Pyramid can be a great stage when there's room to move in the crowd and you get a band that really owns it, but there's just something about West Holts which makes me more nostalgic for it than any other stage / venue I've ever been to. Chic certainly owned it that night.

3 minutes ago, Junglist1981 said:

I missed '08 and so watched a lot of live coverage on TV.  

Jay Z looked really really good, and yet I keep reading on here that he was bad? How so?

Those people are either idiots or weren't there ;)

He was excellent, much better than I expected.

strange but Arctic Monkeys

Loved the Rolling Stones and also Florence but neither could make me pass out like I did at arctic monkeys after foolishly not eating or sleeping and generally going to hard for too long......

Apart from that dont really spend to much time at the pyramid stage

Edited by Nikolai1985
spellingz...

1. Bowie 2000 - 1st Glastonbury, perfect in every way.

2. Blur 2009 - Britpop was my teenage years, and this comeback we never thought would happen, and it was genuinely ace. The best thing was avoiding set spoilers etc beforehand. Emotional stuff.

3. Radiohead & REM 2003 - can't seperate them, my x2 fave bands, perfect double header. Best year ever?

4. Macca 2004 - A BEATLE! Even Jet was ace!

5. The Stones - COULD have been the best thing ever, if only it hadn't got quite so stodgy in the middle. The opening and closing 45 minutes were incredible.

I enjoyed Stevie Wonder but less of an emotional connection for me.

1 hour ago, russycarps said:

I cant really remember much about bowie to tell the truth.

I'm fully with you there.  I know I was there and enjoyed seeing him, but it's by no means one of my highlights.

I regularly read people wistfully recalling things on here and feeling like my hazy recollections reflect poorly on the ahem gusto with which I've sometimes embraced the festival.

1 hour ago, RodimusPrime said:

I know this wasn't the question but worst headliner has to be Oasis (2004?). Good lord they were bad. 

I remember them being BRILLIANT! 

However, we got far, far too drunk and stormed down the front for a mosh. Lost everyone I was with only to see my Mrs on someones shoulders then crowd surf over the top. I followed her. A great night.....

.... the listened back on the TV on arriving home and it was dreadful. All the songs were too slow, Liam's singing was flat and they barely said a word. Just goes to show what a difference experience you can have at home vs being there sometimes.

4 minutes ago, clarkete said:

I'm fully with you there.  I know I was there and enjoyed seeing him, but it's by no means one of my highlights.

I regularly read people wistfully recalling things on here and feeling like my hazy recollections reflect poorly on the ahem gusto with which I've sometimes embraced the festival.

Yep. I listen to the bootleg so often I know I must have loved it, but actual memories of the gig? I've got very few. I can only really remember the cheer at the end of life on mars and absolute beginners! I had no recollection at all of the slowed down intro to let's dance until I heard it on bbc radio the other month!

It's even worse if you go back furher. I'm sure I loved oasis in 1995 but everyone says it was crap so I have no real clue where I stand on that. I'm sure I would have enjoyed myself more as a carefree youngster though

Edited by russycarps

I'm surprised so many people mentioning the Stones. I was really looking forward to it and was really disappointed with it.

My favourite was the Who last year. Getting to see my favourite band at my favourite festival and they didn't disappoint.

Some headliners that pleasantly surprised me were Bruce Springsteen, Pheonix at JP, and the Parliament/Mothership et al super funk thing last year. All 3 I went with low expectations and only saw either as friends wanted to see them or they seemed the best out of a bad bunch of headlines and ended up really enjoying all of them.

Planning on going to see Sigur Ros this year whilst they are on, but got to say Muse were brilliant in 2010, if anyone is in two minds whether to see them or not.

15 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Yep. I listen to the bootleg so often I know I must have loved it, but actual memories of the gig? I've got very few. I can only really remember the cheer at the end of life on mars and absolute beginners! I had no recollection at all of the slowed down intro to let's dance until I heard it on bbc radio the other month!

It's even worse if you go back furher. I'm sure I loved oasis in 1995 but everyone says it was crap so I have no real clue where I stand on that. I'm sure I would have enjoyed myself more as a carefree youngster though

Oh yes I'd forgotten the into thing too until you mentioned that.

These threads are tricky as one person's meat is another ones poison (right on sisters ;) ).  I know that some of the things I've enjoyed others (including you) didn't and equally some of those that people have already listed in here were ones I chose to leave before the end - or the start!

I wouldn't want to remember it all by any stretch, but perhaps a little bit more of some of them :D

Oddly the ones that stick in my mind as the best for me are The Verve and The Rolling Stones. 

Possibly the most surprisingly enjoyable for me was Coldplay and the worst was Gorrilaz.

I did however managed to miss both Jay Z and Kanye otherwise they'd probably end up bottom of my list (Not that i dont think they are good performers I just don't like their music myself)