Best headliner IYHO

cowmadiddy

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Portishead above bowie? Wasn't at bowie so can't comment. 

Neil Young was better than them though so that proves scientifically once and for all you were wrong to see doves. 

I cant really remember much about bowie to tell the truth. I feel like it's a gig that got better with hindsight after listening to the bootleg a million times!

Still no regrets about my doves choice! Neil young wasnt even the best pyramid headliner that year, let alone ever!

49 minutes ago, Spindles said:

Best headliner: Portishead 2013 (by a country mile)

Best Pyramid headliner: R.E.M '99

I still regularly listen to audio of both gigs, 2 of the best nights of my life.

Special mention goes to Coldplay in 2011 for providing such a good time that what had started as a damp squib of a festival ended up with really happy memories.

where did you get the audio for the REM gig from if you dont mind me asking?

2 minutes ago, russycarps said:

where did you get the audio for the REM gig from if you dont mind me asking?

Napster, a very long time ago :)  It was broadcast on the radio so quality is nothing to write home about compared to modern audio, but still brings back memories.  The BBC broadcast is available in bits and pieces on youtube, can also be reconstructed that way.

1 minute ago, Spindles said:

Napster, a very long time ago :)  It was broadcast on the radio so quality is nothing to write home about compared to modern audio, but still brings back memories.  The BBC broadcast is available in bits and pieces on youtube, can also be reconstructed that way.

cheers

Just now, The Nal said:

Great quality here

thanks a million!

REM really makes me feel nostalgic for some reason. 

6 minutes ago, RodimusPrime said:

I know this wasn't the question but worst headliner has to be Oasis (2004?). Good lord they were bad. 

Kanye was worse. But they would be my two worst yeah.

Stones the most enjoyable for me. And Neil Young. 

Edited by The Nal

This will be my second Glastonbury so my answer is Flo by default (although I did think she was great). 

Faith No More and Slipknot (:ph34r:) were amazing at Download. LCD have a very strong chance to surpass that this year. 

Neil Young, 2009 for me. First Glastonbury, first headliner. I was on my own as my mate was off to see someone else. The somewhat leary guy next to me struck up a conversation and we had a great time.

I imagine everyones first Glastonbury is the most memorable, but what an eye-opening year. Blur were also fantastic, through Springsteen was a bit of a disapointment for me.

So wish I'd been there in 2000 for Bowie. Could have if I'd gotten my act together. Wasn't working that summer and no kids to worry about.

Tough one as I've not seen.many bad headliners. Radiohead 2003 probably the best but on the Pyramid REM 2003, Blur 2009, Stevie 2010, Coldplay 2011 and the Stones in 2013 were all brilliant. From other Stages Bon Iver in 2009 and Pet Shop Boys in 2010 are sets I have nothing but warm fuzzy memories of. Flaming Lips '10, Chic '13 and Hot Chip '15 were great as well.

U2, Beyonce and The Who were the only ones that were a let down and I'm not sure I really expected all that much anyway.

I know people have their issues with the Pyramid but a top quality Pyramid headliner is an incomparable experience. Something happens in that field that takes gigs to another place.

1 minute ago, MEGABOWL said:

I know people have their issues with the Pyramid but a top quality Pyramid headliner is an incomparable experience. Something happens in that field that takes gigs to another place.

Couldn't agree more.  I'm not spending all my time there, but on that hill in the dark, with the site lit up before you and a massive happy crowd enjoying a top act can't be beat.

As this thread shows as well, we've been spoiled over the years with some fantastic gigs.