GlastoMap - new version

cerv

As we didn't actually make it onto CV east this year and ended up in Bath and West it is interesting to see that it still looks really full - there were at least a hundred or so vans at the showground (if not more) - makes you wonder whether they would have all actually fitted in if they had properly re-opened the CV fields.  Looking at the photo the vans are not parked in such tight lines as usual (I understand they were being towed on and left wherever they could leave them) so that would have freed up some space but it still looks questionable.  We always arrive on Thursday and each year end up in the last field (which is fine) but each year it has been closer and closer to the entrance from the road and I have thought over the last few years that if we got there any later we would struggle to get onto the field.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

Bigger, that's a shame. What's the issue or can't you say?

It sounds like a general unease from some about the level of detail on show combined with it being too soon after the festival to be showing it. It got shared a lot I think since last night so perhaps more people have seen it now compared to last year

It's definitely not everyone's opinion there. Permission to use in the past has come from a pretty senior person. Hoping they might change their mind. I can understand how it might make some there panic at first but you can get a good view of the site right now on Google Maps. And though it is detailed it's not so detailed you could identify any person. Oh well!

1 hour ago, mr gumby said:

That looks like pretty much the only camping field that actually was sparse. Even Wicket family field was far more full than last year when we camped there. I know they changed a few bits around, particularly with the move of JPT, but does anyone know if there was an overall reduction in camping space? 

We were in Wicket and it was much more full than 2015. It was smaller this year, and there were a few parts that were so waterlogged that nobody could camp in them. I'm not sure how those bits got so waterlogged on that slope, but they did - dragging our bike trolley through them in the dark was pretty horrible. For example, the mud was nearly knee deep here.

43 minutes ago, cerv said:

Unfortunately it appears some people at the festival aren't too happy with the new map so I'm gonna have to roll it back tonight. Enjoy it while it lasts! :-(

Gutted about this!

gonna be my first time at Glasto next year and this map has helped me loads already!

16 minutes ago, cerv said:

It sounds like a general unease from some about the level of detail on show combined with it being too soon after the festival to be showing it. It got shared a lot I think since last night so perhaps more people have seen it now compared to last year

It's definitely not everyone's opinion there. Permission to use in the past has come from a pretty senior person. Hoping they might change their mind. I can understand how it might make some there panic at first but you can get a good view of the site right now on Google Maps. And though it is detailed it's not so detailed you could identify any person. Oh well!

I see, thanks. Perhaps someone high up was using a long drop at the time :)

11 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

no wonder there's often shit on the seats, if people are using them from high up. :P

10 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Or because there's an off site tent to the west of the Acoustic field shaped like a large cock and balls.

:D:D

49 minutes ago, cerv said:

Unless my memory deceives me the last version did not go out as far to include Worthy View Car Park and CV on the right, that might be why you are having troubles. If you look at Google sattelite there are areas that are faded out in the area, same reason as BBC web cam does not go as far left as Acoustic.

Just a thought.

Just now, Brave Sir Robin said:

It's only rolling back to the previous year's image, the Glastomap site isn't being removed.

Well, it's got worse.. apparently it's caused a real upset with some people and I've been asked to take the whole thing down now. Real shame after all the hours I put into it. I tried to make a case for it and tweak things if required but it doesn't appear to be getting anywhere :-(

14 minutes ago, cerv said:

Well, it's got worse.. apparently it's caused a real upset with some people and I've been asked to take the whole thing down now. Real shame after all the hours I put into it. I tried to make a case for it and tweak things if required but it doesn't appear to be getting anywhere :-(

How sad, I love this map.
Charm x

7 minutes ago, Arkady said:

Crazy.  What's causing the upset? Are you using anything that's not in the public domain? Can you politely refuse? You're not showing anything you don't see on aerial photos.

It's their photo so they own it. I've asked permission each year to obtain and use it. And that permission came from a senior person at the festival so figured it was all OK. I think last night it got shared more than usual after I tweeted the update and now someone at the festival who hadn't seen it before doesn't like it being out there and wants it pulled.