GlastoMap - new version

cerv

Hi all,

The all new http://www.glastomap.com is now available if you’d like to check it out. If you’ve seen it before the concept is still the same: aerial shot of the festival site turned into a map. However, this year I ended up completely rewriting the thing from scratch. I won’t bore you with the techie stuff but the new version behaves a lot more like a proper map interface with the best bit being you can now zoom in to a really high level. You should be able to find your tent but then if you can remember where it was you probably weren’t doing it right eh? ;-)

It’s also been updated with the aerial shot from last year’s festival which I’ve hacked around with in Photoshop to try and make it look like this year’s site (e.g. the John Peel move). I’m not a Photoshop expert so it’s not perfect but from a distance it kinda works I think.

You can still put a marker down on it and share that location with others so do share any good food stalls or places of interest on here. That was the other main motivator for creating the site in the first place. I know not everyone likes to use their smartphone while there but if you do I’ll have the ‘locate me’ feature up and running by then so you can see where you are on the site (and then share it with others – handy for telling friends where you’re camping). Might be useful for those with a woeful sense of direction.

I spent quite a lot of time just getting this new version to the same functional level as the last so haven’t really had the time to add any new features. Having said that it’s all been built in such a way that adding new things shouldn’t be as much of a challenge in the future. If you’ve got any ideas of stuff you’d like to see added or a feature idea just let me know. Things I can defo do now which will be coming when I can find the time are: search for venue/area, measure distance, share multiple markers at once, change picture to a previous year. All other ideas welcome!

When was the shot taken is something I’m always asked and with this one I’m not sure. I was told by the company that take it Thursday afternoon but I said that can’t be right, never heard another suggestion from them (and I didn’t want to hassle them). One clue is the pyramid looks pretty busy so at first I thought maybe Sunday afternoon for Lionel but then I reckon there are too many tents still up for it to be Sunday. Wow stage also looks quite busy. Can anyone else come up with a good theory?

Anyway, enjoy and all feedback welcome. Cheers!

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Brave Sir Robin said:

Incredible job, well done and thank you.

No way is that the Lionel crowd, there's far too much room.

Yeah, I don't think it is either but i meant around the time like pre or post Lionel, if you look around the entrance/exits there are quite a few people coming or going. 

22 minutes ago, cerv said:

Hi all,

The all new http://www.glastomap.com is now available if you’d like to check it out. If you’ve seen it before the concept is still the same: aerial shot of the festival site turned into a map. However, this year I ended up completely rewriting the thing from scratch. I won’t bore you with the techie stuff but the new version behaves a lot more like a proper map interface with the best bit being you can now zoom in to a really high level. You should be able to find your tent but then if you can remember where it was you probably weren’t doing it right eh? ;-)

It’s also been updated with the aerial shot from last year’s festival which I’ve hacked around with in Photoshop to try and make it look like this year’s site (e.g. the John Peel move). I’m not a Photoshop expert so it’s not perfect but from a distance it kinda works I think.

You can still put a marker down on it and share that location with others so do share any good food stalls or places of interest on here. That was the other main motivator for creating the site in the first place. I know not everyone likes to use their smartphone while there but if you do I’ll have the ‘locate me’ feature up and running by then so you can see where you are on the site (and then share it with others – handy for telling friends where you’re camping). Might be useful for those with a woeful sense of direction.

I spent quite a lot of time just getting this new version to the same functional level as the last so haven’t really had the time to add any new features. Having said that it’s all been built in such a way that adding new things shouldn’t be as much of a challenge in the future. If you’ve got any ideas of stuff you’d like to see added or a feature idea just let me know. Things I can defo do now which will be coming when I can find the time are: search for venue/area, measure distance, share multiple markers at once, change picture to a previous year. All other ideas welcome!

When was the shot taken is something I’m always asked and with this one I’m not sure. I was told by the company that take it Thursday afternoon but I said that can’t be right, never heard another suggestion from them (and I didn’t want to hassle them). One clue is the pyramid looks pretty busy so at first I thought maybe Sunday afternoon for Lionel but then I reckon there are too many tents still up for it to be Sunday. Wow stage also looks quite busy. Can anyone else come up with a good theory?

Anyway, enjoy and all feedback welcome. Cheers!

probably an impossible question but do you know what day/time that aerial shot was taken? Want to see if I can track myself down somehow 

it must be either friday, sat or sunday around early afternoon as the WOW stage has a lot of people congregated outside for its outdoor party which is basically from 1-6pm. sun looks too bright for it to be 5 or 6.

i would guess at around 2pm on one of the main three days. you can see from how dense the campsites are that its definitely not on wednesday and unlikely thursday.

Edited by Memory Man

6 minutes ago, Heather90 said:

Amazing! Thanks for all your effort

Is it possible to add a scale bar? (I have zero idea about technology so ignore me if this is really complicated) 

For the developer... I think control.scale in leaflet let's you add a scale bar. 

Was just looking at this with one of my developers (we make maps for a living) and we love what you have done. 

1 minute ago, Memory Man said:

it must be either friday, sat or sunday around early afternoon as the WOW stage has a lot of people congregated outside for its outdoor party which is basically from 1-6pm. sun looks too bright for it to be 5 or 6.

i would guess at around 2pm on one of the main three days. you can see from how dense the campsites are that its definitely not on wednesday and unlikely thursday.

Given the crowds at stages, Wednesday and Thrusday are ruled out, but the look of the ground (i.e. worn not much grass) makes me think it was after the Friday rain, plus given the pyramid stage crowd compared to the Other something big must have been on the pyramid.

I'm sure some clever clogs could figure out the time of day by the shadows, using the ribbon tower as a sundial. As for the day; no idea. Arcadia grass looks pretty worn out, so Sat or Sun perhaps? I did think you might be able to work it out by looking at the sand sculpture at the entrance to the Park, but I can't make it out.

20 minutes ago, cb4747 said:

probably an impossible question but do you know what day/time that aerial shot was taken? Want to see if I can track myself down somehow 

I don't know exactly, read the last bit of the msg for the explanation