GlastoMap - new version

cerv

Oh c'mon peeps, Glasto are merely trying to protect themselves.

A map of that detail might provide ammo for objectors in some shape or form, because it's possible that someone might find something on there that can be used against Glasto.

Just as examples, it might be the density of the campsites or the cv fields, or use of a tiny bit of land not covered by the licence.

The fest is facing a greater amount of local hostility than it's done for a while for a variety of reasons, and it's best to not feed that hostility with its own materials.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Am guessing a lot of this is due to this year's traffic? Stayed in Pedwell tuesday night this year and some locals in the boozer were complaining even then to each other that they hadn't known traffic like that for absolutely years. People delayed getting home from work etc. 

I'd say the hostility was back up even before the traffic - going by the signs stuck in the roadsides slagging off the fest in one way or another. But those are probably from a comparatively small number of people.

It's likely that the traffic issues affected a great number of the locals, and it's not unreasonable for them to be mightily pissed off about it.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

A map of that detail might provide ammo for objectors in some shape or form, because it's possible that someone might find something on there that can be used against Glasto.

Just as examples, it might be the density of the campsites or the cv fields, or use of a tiny bit of land not covered by the licence.

The fest is facing a greater amount of local hostility than it's done for a while for a variety of reasons, and it's best to not feed that hostility with its own materials.

It's also photographs of people's homes - I didn't realise there were so many on site now

It'll be the mediaeval folly that's been built without planning permission. ;)

29 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'd say the hostility was back up even before the traffic - going by the signs stuck in the roadsides slagging off the fest in one way or another. But those are probably from a comparatively small number of people.

It's likely that the traffic issues affected a great number of the locals, and it's not unreasonable for them to be mightily pissed off about it.

I'd pretty much say this sums it up, very much so.  I mentioned it in the posts re traffic at the time of this year's festival.  I've never known so many people affected by the traffic as they were this year, it really did cause a lot of inconvenience and most local people are generally accepting of the festival, know what it entails etc etc.  But it did cause a lot of grief and people were not happy at all.

Such a shame the map has had to be pulled, was really interesting to look at it yesterday, great work!!

29 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Shhh!  Nobody mention Google earth or street view! 

there is a good point that on google earth you can go and look at the festival site and see where everything is. Ok everything is not labeled , but you don;t see Glastonbury festival complaining to the Rich Google that the photo of the site.

Just now, shuttlep said:

there is a good point that on google earth you can go and look at the festival site and see where everything is. Ok everything is not labeled , but you don;t see Glastonbury festival complaining to the Rich Google that the photo of the site.

the difference tho is that GlastoMap used GF's own map, something they control.

Just now, eFestivals said:

the difference tho is that GlastoMap used GF's own map, something they control.

so if they used Google earth image , they would be fine with it? Maybe Google wouldn't. If it is just copy right infringement that it smacks of the man bullying smaller people. afraid some one will make money off something they have done.

I would understand if it was a safety and security aspect they come from , but Google has the whole site up anyone can look at. it is a few years old. but you can also zoom in and look at images people have put up and zoom around them.

Just now, shuttlep said:

so if they used Google earth image , they would be fine with it? Maybe Google wouldn't. If it is just copy right infringement that it smacks of the man bullying smaller people. afraid some one will make money off something they have done.

I would understand if it was a safety and security aspect they come from , but Google has the whole site up anyone can look at. it is a few years old. but you can also zoom in and look at images people have put up and zoom around them.

if the google map is a few years old, that can't really be used against Glasto. Any issues anyone might pull up from that can be regarded as out of date.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

if the google map is a few years old, that can't really be used against Glasto. Any issues anyone might pull up from that can be regarded as out of date.

I understand there could be many reason they have chosen to ask this to be taken down.

it would be interesting to hear from them the reason they have asked for this to be done

8 hours ago, Mackem said:

Google Glastomap and when it comes up (it'll be the first in the list) you'll see a little green triangle next to the URL. Click that and the drop down says 'cache' which you just click on

If you Google site:glastomap.com and look at the cached links you can go to a load of the locations that were saved on there.

Were... before the b*stards got to it.  Let's hope Tort's GlastoEarth isn't next.

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I imagined, given how strict you hear the license people are these days, that the aerial pic forms part of some post-festival review they have to do with those guys. But I don't know obviously.

Also the pic is just a moment in time. Any infringement visible may have been spotted and dealt with. That's what I'd say if I were in their position anyway ;-)

But ultimately it's theirs to protect or share as they wish as you say. If your thinking is right I certainly wouldn't want to be responsible for the festival's downfall!

8 minutes ago, cerv said:

I imagined, given how strict you hear the license people are these days, that the aerial pic forms part of some post-festival review they have to do with those guys. But I don't know obviously.

Also the pic is just a moment in time. Any infringement visible may have been spotted and dealt with. That's what I'd say if I were in their position anyway ;-)

But ultimately it's theirs to protect or share as they wish as you say. If your thinking is right I certainly wouldn't want to be responsible for the festival's downfall!

Could you work with the festival to agree an edited version of the image?  Blur the camping areas / block off anything outside / leave the main part of the festival intact (touch it up to be a bit greener maybe).  You wouldn't be able to pick out your tent but still a cracking resource for seeing where everything is.

15 minutes ago, cerv said:

I don't really think it's likely to be responsible for the fests downfall, but i know myself how protective they are about things which are 'theirs', and I know that managing local issues is a minefield for them.

I'm not much surprised at their attitudes right now. Taking the safe option is far better than leaving themselves open to trouble they might have avoided.

We were stuck for about six hours on the A39/361 and I didn't notice any signs, my only contact with locals was a very friendly bunch who had opened a local church and were allowing us to use their loos (I left a donation - not just the potty sort).

Shame it has had to be taken down, found my tent in Pylon and had a good mooch about. On the subject of Pylon being busier than previous years my guess would be people like me who didn't get onsite until nearly 10pm on Wednesday and in failing light, totally knacked pitched on the first bit of empty grass they saw after coming through the hell that was Gate A. I would usually have headed for Bushy but having to carry everything across the mud (we wisely, I think, left the trolley in the car) was exhausting.

2 hours ago, p.pete said:

Could you work with the festival to agree an edited version of the image?  Blur the camping areas / block off anything outside / leave the main part of the festival intact (touch it up to be a bit greener maybe).  You wouldn't be able to pick out your tent but still a cracking resource for seeing where everything is.

I did offer but they didn't respond on that point. I think they just want to avoid any further hassle and aren't going to suggest or work with me to find a happy medium.  

When I get a bit of time I might see if I can easily produce a more stylised version and see what they think of that.

53 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

I have the full image saved in the cache in googe chrome in my PC, is there any way to download the full res image or just move ot somewhere other than the cache?

[removed]

Find the ones from the URL glastomap.com.  Select the files, File, Copy selected cache files to.

However, for all the reasons Cerv and Neil have mentioned, I wouldn't post these online as it feels like GF are only being 'unreasonable' from our perspective they'll have specific reasons for not wanting this out there, I'm sure.

Edited by eFestivals
to remove link

48 minutes ago, nodolphie said:

[removed]

Find the ones from the URL glastomap.com.  Select the files, File, Copy selected cache files to.

However, for all the reasons Cerv and Neil have mentioned, I wouldn't post these online as it feels like GF are only being 'unreasonable' from our perspective they'll have specific reasons for not wanting this out there, I'm sure.

Please don't distribute Glasto's copyright materials without their permission - and particularly when they specifically asked that it is not distributed, not because they're mean and nasty but because they think it shouldn't be available at this time for the benefit of the festival.

Edited by eFestivals