Catfish And The Bottlemen

The life of Pablo

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Purple aki squat said:

They sound shite from what I've listened to. Why are they supposed to be good live when all I can hear is really poor sixth form indie bollocks?

So just about every new little indie rock band that are designed for 18 years olds then, although these are a little better. Massive step up from you Circa Waves and Swim Deep type shit.

5 hours ago, thewayiam said:

So just about every new little indie rock band that are designed for 18 years olds then, although these are a little better. Massive step up from you Circa Waves and Swim Deep type shit.

They are a million miles behind Circa Waves who in themselves are still pretty painting by numbers indie. 

1 hour ago, reflekting said:

They are a million miles behind Circa Waves who in themselves are still pretty painting by numbers indie.

In my opinion, absolutely not! I've seen both, Circa Waves are just not a patch on them.

Their new stuff is a bit hit and miss with me so far, they have potential, but a poor second album can destroy an artist when they have a lot to live up to by their fans standards from the first album.

Let's face it, people like to knock new indie bands that get good press, always have.

45 minutes ago, 505 said:

Let's face it, people like to knock new indie bands that get good press, always have.

Good press? Regardless of their Carlsberg Vodafone advert indie by numbers, theyve been battered throughout the press for being modern day Jimmy Saviles to their young female fanbase and rightly so.

If you act like dickheads, surprisingly enough, you end up getting treated like one, see also Miles Kane in particular but also Viva Brother and The Enemy.

Edited by thesecretingredientiscrime

8 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Swim Deep?  Have you heard their second album?  I think it definitely took them out of the generic indie bracket.

16 minutes ago, thesecretingredientiscrime said:

Good press? Regardless of their Carlsberg Vodafone advert indie by numbers, theyve been battered throughout the press for being modern day Jimmy Saviles to their young female fanbase and rightly so.

If you act like dickheads, surprisingly enough, you end up getting treated like one, see also Miles Kane in particular but also Viva Brother and The Enemy.

Whilst there are a number of young females at their gigs, I don't feel like that is their target audience, and their gigs I've seen them at have been a pretty good mix of ages and genders, as I'm well aware of that image they may have.

It is easy to knock them, and I'm well aware they're not amazing, but they are decent and don't think they're going to be a flash in the pan, but feel free to quote me in 5  years time when they start playing Pontins locations around the country :P

Fair comment about The Enemy mind, absolute tossers.

34 minutes ago, thesecretingredientiscrime said:

I haven't heard this before - what's this about?

49 minutes ago, thesecretingredientiscrime said:

Viva Brother... Quite possibly the worst band to have ever existed. They make Catfish look like The Beatles, Stones and Bowie combined.

I know someone who thinks these are the greatest thing on the planet today. He is totally against going to see old bands, and cites Catfish as a prime example of how there is some bands around today,  constantly having social media rants about about people choosing to spend money on older bands, rather than supporting the likes of Catfish. My eyes (and ears) bleed.

35 minutes ago, 505 said:

Whilst there are a number of young females at their gigs, I don't feel like that is their target audience, and their gigs I've seen them at have been a pretty good mix of ages and genders, as I'm well aware of that image they may have.

It is easy to knock them, and I'm well aware they're not amazing, but they are decent and don't think they're going to be a flash in the pan, but feel free to quote me in 5  years time when they start playing Pontins locations around the country :P

Fair comment about The Enemy mind, absolute tossers.

22 minutes ago, feline said:

I haven't heard this before - what's this about?

http://m.noisey.vice.com/en_uk/blog/who-said-it-finchy-from-the-office-or-catfish--the-bottlemen

This is a relatively good overview of the way that they act, but if anything, is perhaps slightly harsh on their actual music. I have little beef with their actual music because its the type of stuff that inspires little reaction either way and can be enjoyable just in its being (little man fate, milburn etc.)

1 hour ago, RyanS said:

Swim Deep?  Have you heard their second album?  I think it definitely took them out of the generic indie bracket.

100%

Plenty of acid house and psych influence on that album. Give me them over Catfish & his bottlemen any day!

13 minutes ago, thesecretingredientiscrime said:

http://m.noisey.vice.com/en_uk/blog/who-said-it-finchy-from-the-office-or-catfish--the-bottlemen

This is a relatively good overview of the way that they act, but if anything, is perhaps slightly harsh on their actual music. I have little beef with their actual music because its the type of stuff that inspires little reaction either way and can be enjoyable just in its being (little man fate, milburn etc.)

some juvenile phrases and comments from a group of teenagers/early 20s isn't exactly the same as with raping and sexually assaulting underage fans.

although some of those phrases aren't even that bad and are pretty pathetic attempts to have a go at them really, i've seen similar on here, and i'm sure plenty of people made similarly cringeworthy puns when they were younger.

Edited by ghostdancer1