Alternative Nighttime Entertainment

bekimo

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being my first time I don't want to be stuck in my tent during the day so want to be out and about. Just think its a case of pacing myself. The other half will struggle but I'm happy to find somewhere to doze if its dry like up the hill etc. I shall try not to get on it again until about 2-3pm but don't hold out much hope of that.  

2 hours ago, bekimo said:

From what I've read, it appears that it all closes at 3am. Chameleon is definitely 3am. 

This is the same time the one way system at the SE corner ceases. 

I've seen the access point for the SE corner being open from 22.30 to 3am but what does this mean? Are all other accesses closed during this time? 

2 minutes ago, HattersBoy said:

I've seen the access point for the SE corner being open from 22.30 to 3am but what does this mean? Are all other accesses closed during this time? 

Yes mate, due to crowding issues they only funnel people in one way during those peak times.

20 minutes ago, HattersBoy said:

Being my first time I don't want to be stuck in my tent during the day so want to be out and about. Just think its a case of pacing myself. The other half will struggle but I'm happy to find somewhere to doze if its dry like up the hill etc. I shall try not to get on it again until about 2-3pm but don't hold out much hope of that.  

The Brothers Bar is ideal for dozing!:)

3 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

Yes mate, due to crowding issues they only funnel people in one way during those peak times.

The Brothers Bar is ideal for dozing!:)

Cheers Shaun, did always wonder but maybe shall leave sampling the SE corner to later 3am. I think to be honest I shall be able to doze anywhere but a bar, well if I must!

There's usually a load of hammocks towards the top of The Park too.  Great if you can get one but they get snapped up. I was lucky enough to get in one with a fairly sharp hangover last year and snoozed for a bit while the painkillers kicked in.

2 hours ago, HattersBoy said:

No longer a professional so if you do see me at that time don't tell anyone........!

Lol I'm s die harder on the booze only from dusk til dawn it's just the next day that can be painful so generally keep drinking 

the common sense part of me tells me must go to bed whilst no sun as its death in the tent other wise!!

2 hours ago, clarkete said:

Or have an afternoon nap :)

I've flaked out at several stages when the ground has been dry.  I read of someone on here in the last couple of days who said they don't usually go out and about until about 5pm and then they can carry on until 6am!

I feel totally worse for afternoon napping I'd rather keep awake

Theres some amazing places after hours

Spent superb nights last year in Williams Green - guily pleasures night

Sensations (?) stage and the stuff near the Astrolobe... brilliant boogie outdoors to 70's music until well into the early hours

And we wandered the Craft fields and found a tiny bar with table football, music and sofa's .... playing random punters at table football for shots ... only about 20 people in there and was superb

I start on the drink too early to last until 6am usually. I generally play to go to the SE corner, but I just end up going to Chameleon and the bars around there and get lured in by the tunes and talking shit to random strangers.

4 hours ago, clarkete said:

I read of someone on here in the last couple of days who said they don't usually go out and about until about 5pm and then they can carry on until 6am!

I now feel better about giving in a 1 or 2am as I'm normally drinking by 10/11am and watch bands before 12. Just a different time zone I suppose.

On 1 May 2016 at 11:26 PM, morph100 said:

I've been to chameleon bar till 3am listening to indie music from the 90's. Bread and roses and the bandstand to see friends play I think that was after the headliners. there's always the stone circle for the sounds of bongo drums and laughing gas canisters, well that's what they had last time I was there, not sure if the ban on gas has worked?

Went to the Stone Circle last year for first time since 2012, but it's all changed. Now it's not nearly as good as it used to be even 4/5 years ago. The big fire and bongos etc. has all gone. What happened? 

3 minutes ago, Tim2006 said:

Went to the Stone Circle last year for first time since 2012, but it's all changed. Now it's not nearly as good as it used to be even 4/5 years ago. The big fire and bongos etc. has all gone. What happened? 

Most of the cool people abandoned it to the bell ends 

6 hours ago, HattersBoy said:

Ok thanks for that and the SE corner is open to about 6am Fri and Sat, now its just a case of lasting to that time.

Yeh it's rare I see that nowadays, i don't drink alcohol or caffeine so I'm pretty screwed! 

3 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Theres some amazing places after hours

Spent superb nights last year in Williams Green - guily pleasures night

Sensations (?) stage and the stuff near the Astrolobe... brilliant boogie outdoors to 70's music until well into the early hours

And we wandered the Craft fields and found a tiny bar with table football, music and sofa's .... playing random punters at table football for shots ... only about 20 people in there and was superb

all three sound right up my street. thanks funkyfairy

16 hours ago, Tim2006 said:

16 hours ago, fatyeti24 said:

Most of the cool people abandoned it to the bell ends 

Unfortunately true.  The first all nighter I ever pulled at G ended up with me talking to some lads from Middlesbrough up at the stone circle from about 4 until the sun rose (and we got through my 1/2 litre of Kraken rum).  It was nicely chilled and there were fires, guitars, singing, bongos and no hint of anything other than people having a great time.  Then the sun came up and started to burn off the mist.  It was silent for 10 minutes - spine tingling stuff.

2014 it was full of noisy "lads & pints" w*nkers trying to act tough.  You couldn't move for the Nos canisters and the stupid noise they made every 2 minutes was unbearable.  Left after 15 minutes.

Haven't been back since.

Yeah there was something of an effort to assimilate it back as a Green spaces area, and NOS was discouraged. It improved it - no return to late '90's early '00's or anything, but it definitely improved. Cant say whether this will last this year.

Personally I also thought Stone Circle / King's Meadow was improved last year - less nos and more atmosphere through the early hours - though I'm not sure I made it past 3am last year :)

There doesn't seem to be the same (mild) push to keep nos from the area this year yet, but hopefully it builds on last year.

I don't get the nos gas thing.  Some friends and I were up at glastolatino a few year ago, chilling out on the grass with some drinks, burritos and churros!  We were telling horrendously bad jokes and chatting to random passers by who wanted to know why we were laughing hysterically at nothing! 

Next to us was a large group of 15  or so people who were all sitting quietly in a circle waiting expectantly with deflated balloons in their hands. One guy had a canister of gas and was filling their balloons up for them. Honestly, these people were hardly even talking to each other! They then all waited very patiently for all of them to have their balloons filled, then sucked all the gas out, spent all of two minutes giggling and then went back to sitting quietly in their circle.

I was very confused. This went on for quite some time and I asked a few people what the point of it was. No one seemed to be able to tell me! Am I just old and don't get it? :/ 

30 minutes ago, bekimo said:

I asked a few people what the point of it was. No one seemed to be able to tell me! Am I just old and don't get it? :/ 

Sometimes part of the appeal is doing something you haven't done before or rarely do,  bit of forbidden fruit isn't it?

Edited by clarkete