Alternative Nighttime Entertainment

bekimo

Friday nights my usual Shangri-La outing, go straight after the headliner (despite the crowds) and then up to the stone circle to sober up at around 6/7am so I can catch a couple of sweaty hours sleep before the music starts.

Wednesday night is spent mostly up on the hill at the stone circle, flagtopia and the park. Really enjoy spending an hour or two in that place in the Park where the audience have the instruments and it's just a giant sing-a-long that always ends up turning back into Wonderwall every four or five songs. Last year we ended up in those wooden boat things (in I think the Greenpeace field?) Just sat drinking and talking with strangers for hours, was brilliant.

On the Saturday last year I was so disappointed and deflated after Kanye having missed PSB (my mistake – never going to see someone just because it might be controversial/a sceptical again!) that I went for a chilled out night and caught The Rocky Horror Picture Show in the cinema tent near the top of Williams Green, was a laugh.

Also once spent a good few hours watching a band in the Spike on the Thursday night, just a mate and me not saying a word and enjoying the music and in 2014 spent the evening dancing on a table in some bar (no idea where) dancing to 90’s music with complete strangers. Think this year if an evening comes round and I haven’t stumbled upon something brilliant by accident I’ll be heading to the green fields in search of an adventure

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

This is me. Every year i swear that at least one day I'll lay in and not start drinking till teatime. Every year this never happens. 

My plan this year is to not start drinking until 5/6pm, and then not start the funny business until midnight, that way I should breeze through to 6/7am no problems at all 

But how often to things go to plan really

2 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

My plan this year is to not start drinking until 5/6pm, and then not start the funny business until midnight, that way I should breeze through to 6/7am no problems at all 

But how often to things go to plan really

Aye good point,  you should restrain yourself and cut out all the fun to improve your stamina,  but maybe not ;-)

Made the mistake of going too hard to early on the Wednesday of last year. On Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sun I paced myself and it really helped things out. I drunk lots of water in the day and whenever I got a bit to eat I would have a fizzy drink instead of a beer. Pacing yourself is the way forward.

22 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

I now feel better about giving in a 1 or 2am as I'm normally drinking by 10/11am and watch bands before 12. Just a different time zone I suppose.

Ditto. I'm an 'early nighter' but I'm an 'early starter'...first pint is always watching the first band of the day at 11-12 

4 hours ago, p.pete said:

Personally I also thought Stone Circle / King's Meadow was improved last year - less nos and more atmosphere through the early hours - though I'm not sure I made it past 3am last year :)

There doesn't seem to be the same (mild) push to keep nos from the area this year yet, but hopefully it builds on last year.

I think the nos fad has largely passed....was massively less last year. Always struck me more as a 'bored evening down in some shitty park' thing anyway.

Really need to explore that area more, I've been 3 times before and haven't spent too much time around there. I have no idea what this Hard Rock Cafe is. I'm gonna make notes of this thread before I leave.

29 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

Really need to explore that area more, I've been 3 times before and haven't spent too much time around there. I have no idea what this Hard Rock Cafe is. I'm gonna make notes of this thread before I leave.

It's not Hard, it's Fluffy.

But enough of my own personal hell...

Long shot but one of my fondest memories is a cocktail lounge playing showtunes late on the Sunday night in 2011. We ended the festival arm in arm with strangers doing a sort of half can-can and singing along with Liza Minelli doing New York, New York.

does any of this sound familiar to anybody and if so does it still exist? It was an amazing end to my last visit.

On 5 May 2016 at 6:53 PM, serendipitous said:

Long shot but one of my fondest memories is a cocktail lounge playing showtunes late on the Sunday night in 2011. We ended the festival arm in arm with strangers doing a sort of half can-can and singing along with Liza Minelli doing New York, New York.

does any of this sound familiar to anybody and if so does it still exist? It was an amazing end to my last visit.

This would be epic if it still exists!!

3 minutes ago, bekimo said:

Is it weird that I can't remember this field at all!? :/

its all market areas so u probably didn't take it in..we found fluffy rock in 2013 as they had seats and cocktails lol, remember watching some random bloke doing ditties about teletubbies lol :)

3 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

its all market areas so u probably didn't take it in..we found fluffy rock in 2013 as they had seats and cocktails lol, remember watching some random bloke doing ditties about teletubbies lol :)

I'll add it to the list then. If there's one thing I just cannot resist it's a grownass man singing about teletubbies!! ;) 

6 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Have you got a list?  

I do hope so :)

Of places you can find grownass men singing about teletubbies? Alas no. I think that may be something I look for this year!!

A list of places I need to visit that do not subscribe to the boom boom tick tick philosophy of late night entertainment! I am certainly working on that. 

Although first I must prize it away from my very mischievous puppy!!!

On ‎05‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 4:41 PM, Keithy said:

Just trying to picture where Fluffy Rock is... it's the circle below isn't it?

map.JPG

Now we've established that the Fluffy Rock café is the oval shaped tent above the one circled, just want to say that one of the white tents directly across from the Fluffy Rock does mean pizzas and lemonade. I think it's the second one on the right.