Adele

mumzilla

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

though the songs may be on the mellower side, the thousands of people belting them out at the top of their lungs made it a very uplifting experience. the choruses to all her songs are just so huge!

My mate said the same. I do regret not doing now. I'd done an all nighter after Underworld and tried to bounce through. I was trying to recreate a bit of Friday night, but it wasn't to be.

Shame I missed it really as it was obviously a "moment"

On 28 June 2016 at 2:06 PM, bellboy said:

The plan was to catch 30 mins or so of Adele and then head off.  We stood near the back of the field for a quick getaway.  Then the first chords of hello started, the "eyes opened" (what a simple but great impact moment) and we realised that we weren't going anywhere.  It was one of those sets where the audience and artist seemed as one and the crowd were as much of the show as Adele was.

We then went and saw the other best set of the weekend - Hobo Jones & The Junkyard Dogs.   It's all Yellow!

Oh gutted. Where were they on after Adele, that would have been an awesome Saturday night 

From looking at her setlists, she usually does Chasing Pavements as one of her last few, so it probably got cut due to the medical emergency. It's a shame, because it's one of her best. Muse went on past midnight, so not sure why she didn't carry on a bit past 11:45.

My verdict - what I saw was OK. Being not that excited about any of the Saturday headline options, I went to see the first half of M83, who I really enjoyed, then decided to go to the Pyramid for the last 30/40 mins where I knew she'd be pulling out the big hits. I'm not a fan of her music at all, find it extremely dull, but she really has a magnificent voice.

When she's singing, that is. Can't stand her cackling between songs! Clearly a great headliner, just not really for me.

It's the busiest I've seen the Pyramid though in the two years I've been going though, and she had the crowd in the palm of her hand. Seeing it lit up from the top of the hill with people's mobile phone torches was a sight to see (only for Coldplay to one-up it the next night!) The confetting from all the speaker stacks was really cool too.

Her performance was also projected onto the sides of the Pyramid too, so we could see it as we walked over from John Peel, that was a pretty cool effect! 

Undoubtedly a success. As "uninspired" as the headliner choices may have been to some this year, all three smashed it out the park.

The opportunity to see Adele without having to buy a ticket to one of her shows was always going to be a winner, so was looking forward to it. But my word, from the opening with 'Hello' with the stunningly effective  eyes on the screen, the whole set was an incredable experience. This was coupled to the fact i was nearer than i thought i would be.

I was also looking forward to some potty mouth banter, she didnt dissapoint there either!

Watched New Order instead but have since watched it back and was blown away. What made the whole thing so much more special is her connection with the festival. The way she talks so passionately about her love of the festival and how magical it is really resonated with everyone in that crowd and that's something that I've never seen in such a way from a headliner before.

It will hands down in years to come be regarded as one of the all time greats. 

It was incredible!  It genuinely must be up there with the best headline sets we've seen at the farm. I was watching back earlier on Iplayer and just short of 1:09:00 you can see a set list next to the drummer. Chasing Pavements was listed just before Someone Like You and Rolling in the Deep was listed as the final track so it seems she definitely had to move things around to accommodate the stoppage or there was a last minute reshuffle. 

From the moment she said 'F*ck me' near the start of Hello she had the crowd on side. I've been to thousands of gigs, about 100 festivals and for me Adele at the Pyramid is up there as one of the best. Truly tear jerking, beautiful and engaging - who'd have thought it? 

Songs were okay (if that's your thing) but the 'banter' was abysmal. Asking 6 people in a row what their favourite colour is and where they are from is not entertainment. Nor is aborting songs and messing up lyrics. Kinda reminded me of Kanye in parts tbh

30 minutes ago, rseamer said:

From the moment she said 'F*ck me' near the start of Hello she had the crowd on side. 

Yup. That and when she disappeared into the crowd and popped up again wearing a fez.

Best Pyramid headliner for me since the Stones - so better than Arcade Fire, Metallica, Kanye and The Who, all of whom I enjoyed to a greater or lesser extent.

1 hour ago, Celery said:

Songs were okay (if that's your thing) but the 'banter' was abysmal. Asking 6 people in a row what their favourite colour is and where they are from is not entertainment. Nor is aborting songs and messing up lyrics. Kinda reminded me of Kanye in parts tbh

Hello and Rolling in the Deep were good. I tolerated the rest. Shes not my thing but you can't deny that she connected with the crowd and put on a good show. The mid song chat was a bit Butlins yeah but apparently thats a thing she does. Her voice sounded great. Only 15 tunes so tolerable. My missus said I exhaled when it was over but she sent people away very happy which is what a headliner is supposed to do. No complaints. 

Anyway, the "oooh she can't headline, its too boring" etc chat was well wide of the mark. Miles wide. 

1 hour ago, Celery said:

lol, someone's too cool for school! Sorry you didn't get the top quality banter you were after.

Just now, The Nal said:

Shit yeah. Nice to see Bobby get a run out on the Pyramid. 

Prefer the original mind you, like every Dylan cover I've ever heard. Watchtower included. 

She's made a Bob song into a standard for a whole new generation, for the first time in a generation.  Can't actually remember the last time it happened.  

Maybe Guns'n'Roses....

Just before 'Someone Like You' a whole troop of young lads appeared near us on the path.  When the song began to play one hollered "tune!" and for a moment I thought they were going to be arsehole-y and spoil it.  Nu-uh, arms round each other singing every last word. :D

I could have done without a lot of Adele's chat but it also cracked me up that she didn't GAF.  You'd imagine she'd want to sing as many songs as she could to milk her big moment but no, she wanted to chat.  Ditto to the eff bombs within songs which totally limits the Beeb's use of the footage.  The tv aspect shouldn't be a factor but you know it is for a lot of acts.  Refreshing that she played a gig rather than gave a telly performance.