What advice would you give for first timers?

Chris Lfc

4 hours ago, Hotchilidog said:

Probably the most sensible piece of advice I've seen on this site. I had an on average 45minute walk 'home' every night last year, and didn't mind at all.

I camped in pylon last year, from Stonebridge and Arcadia it's absolutely fine, nice stagger home actually, SE corner does take a bit of time, but I quite enjoyed it too 

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 20 January 2016 at 8:06 PM, Pbird81 said:

Definitely agree about waterproof trousers - they make life much more pleasant

No definitely not waterproof trousers - if it's muddy there's is too much splash back - shorts /tights much better

5 hours ago, Hotchilidog said:

Probably the most sensible piece of advice I've seen on this site. I had an on average 45minute walk 'home' every night last year, and didn't mind at all.

It was a 90 minute walk for us in a group to and from the SE corner from Bushy Ground. it was about 45-60 mins when speed walking on my own

7 minutes ago, jonodillieono said:

It was a 90 minute walk for us in a group to and from the SE corner from Bushy Ground. it was about 45-60 mins when speed walking on my own

90 mins is a long time, I don't think it ever took me that long, it took me an hour to walk from Stonebridge to Pylon on the Friday but I thought I was being followed by Geese so it was massively distracting 

On 19/01/2016 at 0:31 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

I'd go further.  If you're looking for someone, consider not looking for them, you'll probably find them later.

This!  I try to keep it as old school as poss and probably run into my mates more often than if we actually tried to meet at a specific place and time. 

However, if you are trying to meet up with people - use a distinctive stall as a pre-arranged meeting point. 

38 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

A top tip for a Friday night: have a fairly boozy fortnight before the festival to get your tolerance up. You are, if that way enclined, about to drink for 5 days solid.

Two schools of thought on this one. There would be a school of thought that would say keep your powder dry for two weeks. That way, you'll be like a rabid dog for bits and pieces come the Wednesday of the festival. You'll be able to confine it to just the one 5 day bender.

27 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Two schools of thought on this one. There would be a school of thought that would say keep your powder dry for two weeks. That way, you'll be like a rabid dog for bits and pieces come the Wednesday of the festival. You'll be able to confine it to just the one 5 day bender.

well all depends really we [ me & the wife ] always went with the 5 day bender but hey were not 21 no more so just try for a 3 day bender with a month to recover lol

51 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

well all depends really we [ me & the wife ] always went with the 5 day bender but hey were not 21 no more so just try for a 3 day bender with a month to recover lol

I know exactly where you are coming from guy. It's quite a relief really, as those 5 day benders were pretty scary Mary when the end bit came along. Talk about the fear!

On 1/19/2016 at 6:22 PM, Woffy said:

Listen to Brave Sir Robin's Glastonbury Spotify Playlist.

It's a labour of love and a work of art.

You're bound to find something new you like / love and who'll you'll want to go and see at the festival.

It's also great seeing / hearing it develop in conjunction with the rumours and confirmations as the festival approaches.

If anyone wants the link for this, here it is.

On 1/22/2016 at 1:39 PM, Chris Lfc said:

Where is the best places to camp? as in ranging from people?

So quiet places? places near the pyramid for people who would camp there half the day? Places near the night life? I'm talking to my friend and I'm curious on where we would want to camp. 

Remember the site is huge and you'll be tired at the end of the night.  So camp on the side where you are most likely to be at the end of the evening/night.

You may have a bit more of a trek from the car park to your chosen location on arrival but it's worth that bit of extra effort at the start and you'll be grateful for it every night.

This is my 1000th post on Efestivals and to commemorate this occasion, there is only one piece of first timer advice that I can give.

At some point at Glastonbury Festival...

GET NAKED :)

On 22 January 2016 at 8:19 PM, Mezhyp1 said:

I camped in pylon last year, from Stonebridge and Arcadia it's absolutely fine, nice stagger home actually, SE corner does take a bit of time, but I quite enjoyed it too 

I was in Pylon too, not one of the 'glamour' fields but spacious and quiet. Did the job perfectly. I arrived wednesday night at the coach park and threw all "my where to camp plans" out of the window for the convenience of a short stroll and easy set up. A decision I did not regret.

13 minutes ago, Hotchilidog said:

I was in Pylon too, not one of the 'glamour' fields but spacious and quiet. Did the job perfectly. I arrived wednesday night at the coach park and threw all "my where to camp plans" out of the window for the convenience of a short stroll and easy set up. A decision I did not regret.

Don't get me wrong, it wouldn't have been my first choice. I couldn't make it down until the Thursday this year and a couple of mates took our tent down and put it up next to theirs, happened to be in pylon. I had only previously camped in Pennard, so it was quite different, and much longer walker home but it was alright in the end

2 hours ago, theDandy said:

what do you base this on? TBC & SR? Just followed it! Cheers pal

Yep TBCs and SRs for now, along with tip-offs from this forum and occasionally the odd additional act that looks very much to be playing (like the classical guitar guy who's playing around Glasto and says he's "open" to playing the Acoustic Tent). And obviously the confirmed acts when we get them. Song selections are the 5 songs each act's been playing live the most over the past year or so, found using setlist.fm and Googling. Updates on this thread: 

49 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Yep TBCs and SRs for now, along with tip-offs from this forum and occasionally the odd additional act that looks very much to be playing (like the classical guitar guy who's playing around Glasto and says he's "open" to playing the Acoustic Tent). And obviously the confirmed acts when we get them. Song selections are the 5 songs each act's been playing live the most over the past year or so, found using setlist.fm and Googling. Updates on this thread: 

you are a wonderful human being

Had a thought yesterday of an experience a first timer really should look forward to 

It came to me when stopping at motorway services for a crap yesterday

Now, normally, and as was the case yesterday, services toilets always seem a complete bloody mess and not somewhere to bask in the pristine cleanliness of the environment and enjoy a relaxed poo

.........apart from on your way back from Glastonbury on the Monday - they then take on, for once per year, a new level of extreme comfort and pampering.....make sure you make the most of it, from the Tuesday onwards they will return to normal form

My learning from last year was to stock the house with comfort food to come back to.

Come Tuesday morning - after a sleepless night spent wrestling yellow-eyed shadow monsters intent on dragging you down into the depths of the netherworld - its nice to not to have to pop to the shops if you want milk for your cereal.

On 20/01/2016 at 6:11 PM, deadpheasant said:

I'm 90% sure it's by the Pyramid, at least since last year, as I watched the start of Mary J Blige while I queued. It's right next to the pie place if I remember correctly.

I agree with you on the fish curries are overrated, they're good but not as fantastic as everyone said it'd be. Would be nice to hear other people's favourite food places at glasto actually.

Lebanese food at the top of Park - yummity tum!