Radiohead touring in 2016

Redwinevino

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

But then the apple harvest will fail.

Radiohead have guaranteed that we'll have no scrumpy for the summer!

Must be said, good skillz RE: the recent Windy Miller pic, CalGon.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gave it two, undistracted listens/watches before deciding on my first impressions. Currently listening for a third time.

It is bloody good. A great way to return after such a long time, and a beautifully Radiohead way of returning to the public arena. Many will pass it off as pretentiousness. For me, they remain one of the very few bands to retain pretty much unblemished creative and artistic integrity. I hope that I would think that of them even if I wasn't a fan.

Burn The Witch is a lovely, brooding song befitting the title. I can almost see it being played live at the Roundhouse (less than four weeks!). I reckon they'll crank up the overdrive pedals a bit for the guitars! My only 'complaint' is that it could have been a little bit longer. It reaches a really dark, menacing place and then the slightly atonal strings close it out. I'd have been happy with another refrain from Thom before that.

How long until we get the LP? I hope not a 'normal' gap, where you get a single, then maybe another over a 2 month period before you get the whole thing.

Drop it before the Roundhouse gigs, you buggers!

:)

Ben

First impression is that its ok. I liked orchestral arrangements and the climax but think it lacks something which i cant put my finger on. Im sure repeated listens will uncover more and more. Im not getting carried away though.

28 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

I gave it two, undistracted listens/watches before deciding on my first impressions. Currently listening for a third time.

It is bloody good. A great way to return after such a long time, and a beautifully Radiohead way of returning to the public arena. Many will pass it off as pretentiousness. For me, they remain one of the very few bands to retain pretty much unblemished creative and artistic integrity. I hope that I would think that of them even if I wasn't a fan.

Burn The Witch is a lovely, brooding song befitting the title. I can almost see it being played live at the Roundhouse (less than four weeks!). I reckon they'll crank up the overdrive pedals a bit for the guitars! My only 'complaint' is that it could have been a little bit longer. It reaches a really dark, menacing place and then the slightly atonal strings close it out. I'd have been happy with another refrain from Thom before that.

How long until we get the LP? I hope not a 'normal' gap, where you get a single, then maybe another over a 2 month period before you get the whole thing.

Drop it before the Roundhouse gigs, you buggers!

:)

Ben

I don't think it'll be that long. Reckon it'll all happen in a short space of time. I think it'd be odd for them to have done all this for a single and then announce that the album will be here in two months.

Just now, Will-2609 said:

I don't think it'll be that long. Reckon it'll all happen in a short space of time. I think it'd be odd for them to have done all this for a single and then announce that the album will be here in two months.

yeah it's not like it's gonna be a hit single and the album will build momentum off it's chart success - it's just a taster of the album (like they've done with previous albums) with the album to shortly follow. still very much expecting it to come this week myself

I have given it a good couple of listens, I like! Agree that it could've been longer but it's such a wonderful track. The strings are uplifting yet lyrically it's pretty dark. 

I am gutted I won't be seeing this live any time soon. 

Hopefully we will have the LP by the end of the week!

ONLY problem i have with this is that Thom's barely-there vocal delivery that he's been using on all of their most recent material, including Atoms For Peace and his solo stuff, is getting a bit old. hope he ramps it up a bit on some of the rest of the album. the guy can sing, so it's a shame that he seems to favour drawling along most of the time. but that's a small qualm and the song is still fantastic

Just now, sheffieldlady said:

I have given it a good couple of listens, I like! Agree that it could've been longer but it's such a wonderful track. The strings are uplifting yet lyrically it's pretty dark. 

I am gutted I won't be seeing this live any time soon. 

Hopefully we will have the LP by the end of the week!

I really hope so, SL. It's been a constant of my musical life that I enjoy gigs 237% more if I am really familiar with the material. And, without rubbing it in, I want to hear this album LOTS before the Roundhouse. And Glastonbury, obvs ;)

Ben

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

ONLY problem i have with this is that Thom's barely-there vocal delivery that he's been using on all of their most recent material, including Atoms For Peace and his solo stuff, is getting a bit old. hope he ramps it up a bit on some of the rest of the album. the guy can sing, so it's a shame that he seems to favour drawling along most of the time. but that's a small qualm and the song is still fantastic

I agree FF, though I enjoyed it more reading along to the lyrics whilst listening to his vocals. If I know the lyrics then that vocal style can be an 'enhancement', rather than me craning my ears trying to work out what he's singing!

Ben

I may be taking the 'finding any reason to link Radiohead to Glastonbury' too far but..... when I first saw this image:

Chipq0CXEAAbq0r.jpg

My first reaction was.....that looks an awful lot like the outline of the Glastonbury map (minus the car park fields to the right)

13041411_1035651923176259_8479580773152287515_o.jpg

I believe.

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Completely agree. Before I had my first listen I had messages from several people telling me what an "ABSOLUTE BANGER" it was and how the chorus is huge and they've gone back to being more mainstream.

Based on these descriptions I was hoping the vocals would have some punch to them and tbh I was disappointed to hear that they didn't.

Like you I hope some of the album does.