West Holts 2016 - would love to see list

Rumblestripe

10 minutes ago, OBface said:

Where are people placing James Blake? I know he's not a total fit for WH but he's ticked off Park and I thought JP was already busy. 

I wouldn't be surprised (though would be disappointed) to see him play 3/4 on the other stage, JP headliner I think 

• Replies 880
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

A feeling or a (*winks*feeling, Neil?

;)

Ben

I don't know with any certainty.

But I do know that Floating Points was WH Booker Steve's favourite album of last year, so I reckon that would be an act he'd have gone after.

But talking of going after acts, he also happened to mention that he reckons people on these forums in general think it's easier to book acts than it is, and that an offer from Glastonbury doesn't have them immediately asking 'where do I sign' - particularly with overseas acts.

1 minute ago, jackarmy said:

Friend of mine reckons Barry from Dub Pistols said they were playing West Holts. But I would have had them down for the Glade Stage again personally...

it's not impossible - I tried to find out how much reggae would be on West Holts this year, and got something back about how one act wasn't reggae would have reggae within their set.

15 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

'Cause I really want him to be on Park, as I think he'll get a better slot - e.g. setting sun, rather than blazing sun!

:)

Ben

Having seen him play Brixton I really think his mid-paced set better suits mid-afternoon rather than later on. I was hoping for the Glade but WH will do fine.

8 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

But I do know that Floating Points was WH Booker Steve's favourite album of last year, so I reckon that would be an act he'd have gone after.

But talking of going after acts, he also happened to mention that he reckons people on these forums in general think it's easier to book acts than it is, and that an offer from Glastonbury doesn't have them immediately asking 'where do I sign' - particularly with overseas acts.

Well he did well to get the acts responsible for the two big "jazz world" albums of last year in Kamasi Washington and Mbongwana Star respectively. If he's responsible for Flo Po as well that's excellent work.

45 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'd say that Gregory Porter is likely to be Pyramid this time, but that's just a guess.

D'oh, for some reason I thought last time he played the Pyramid. Then yes, I agree with you.

3 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Well he did well to get the acts responsible for the two big "jazz world" albums of last year in Kamasi Washington and Mbongwana Star respectively. If he's responsible for Flo Po as well that's excellent work.

yeah, but he also told me he how many acts said 'no' for one reason or another, so wanting it and getting it are two different things.

14 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'm not sure Steve's correct in that assumption! Most of us here are only too aware of the idiosyncrasies within the music business and that even though the festival may often be the be all and end all for we saddos, it isn't quite the same for the artists! Also, the initiated here know that a Glastonbury pay cheque is considerably lighter than at most other festivals!

Elaenia was my favourite record of 2015 too, so Steve has good taste!

:)

Ben

Is that *maybe* a repercussion of the international outlook of the stage?

They try to sign, like The Daughters of Reykjavik, but the relatively un-huge fee offered means that acts have to be self-funding to a certain extent..?

You do sometimes see acts requiring government / arts grants to allow them to travel to the UK.

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Is that *maybe* a repercussion of the international outlook of the stage?

They try to sign, like The Daughters of Reykjavik, but the relatively un-huge fee offered means that acts have to be self-funding to a certain extent..?

You do sometimes see acts requiring government / arts grants to allow them to travel to the UK.

it's just due to the commercial reality, I think. Playing shows is a big part of any band's income, and flying to the UK to play a not-great-paying show isn't (by itself) a attractive proposition for any act at any level, but particularly not when a band is able to take their pick from a number of offers.

It's maybe one example where a slightly over-saturated festival market helps the bookers / punters - means a band from, e.g. Mexico can justify the flights to Europe if they're also playing things like Field Day and Down the Rabbit Hole in the same timeframe.

Either way, I don't think anyone's noticed a paucity of international acts.  They're doing really well attracting a decent mix of stuff.

9 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It's maybe one example where a slightly over-saturated festival market helps the bookers / punters - means a band from, e.g. Mexico can justify the flights to Europe if they're also playing things like Field Day and Down the Rabbit Hole in the same timeframe.

Either way, I don't think anyone's noticed a paucity of international acts.  They're doing really well attracting a decent mix of stuff.

Yep. The booking policy now is less my bag than it used to be, but at no point am I thinking it's a bad job, just a different one to how I might like it personally. There's also better numbers watching since the rebrand and slight change in booking focus, too.

6 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Kasami Washington and Ernest surely?

As per my replies above, had read previously someone saying Kamasi for the Pyramid but turns it that was based on a preference rather than info. Ernest I just forgot about

1 hour ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

As per my replies above, had read previously someone saying Kamasi for the Pyramid but turns it that was based on a preference rather than info. Ernest I just forgot about

Some people reckon that west holts may not be able to fit his band with orchestra if he decides to perform with them. I'm not sure about that myself, I reckon it's doable but I may be overestimating the size of WH. 

On 9 March 2016 at 10:01 AM, Acid_Haze said:

They seem to be playing more sub slots than headline slots at festivals this year. Like with Latitude. I think it might mean they're doing a shorter set, so subbing WH might be on the cards for them this year

I doubt it - I'm fairly certain all the WH headliners (which Kraftwerk would be) are already on the poster