If the festival had to move locations would you still go?

Cooter

PS: if it moved, that would be the point I gave it up, I thinkIve been saying this is my last year now for 4 years , as it stands next year is my last year , if it moves ill still go but it will deffo be my last time next year.

I have been saying for 4 years now that this is my last time , if it moved it would be the icing on the cake .

Edited by karlpowell

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Think this is more ME firing a shot across the bows of the owners of the rest of the land rather than a genuine option of moving

Very much agree.

as has been said the workers beer contract is out till 2022 and they've just built the new festival offices. it may go one day but they must be confident enough to see through at least the next 5 festivals or so (including the fallow year).

if they were to try an alternate location obviously the fallow year would be the one to do it in, but i think it will probably come too soon (the falow year) for that to happen as its due in 2017 is it not? thats only this years which is almost upon on us and next years before they'd be potentially looking at doing a new glasto in a still yet TBC and anywhere near licenced / planned out location.

i think its a load of hot air for now but is something that will surely re raise its head in a few more years

I agree that Emily will try and do it the same, but whether she's able to will depend on many different things.

The main one is who has ownership &/or control of the farm. It might already be a settled issue for Michael, but for us on the outside we can only speculate how that might pan out.

If, for example, the farm is divvied up amount all of Michael's children, some of those might want a full commercial return which then forces Emily to run things on a more-commercial basis.

The sensible option would be a trust with a board of trustees who elect the management team (i.e. Emily) with the Eavis family as beneficiaries.

As an institution it has grown beyond the immediate family and probably deserves protection in it's own right.

After having read these posts it's made me realise just how much I really do love the festival site. I always appreciate being there but now, after this discussion, I am going to appreciate even more walking along the long dusty lanes between Greenfields and Pennards etc and, well, everywhere... I love Worthy farm and the surrounding fields. I love it x

Amazing lack of the Oxford comma! I also thought he was saying he didn't own the Pyramid field, thanks for clearing that up

Oxford Comma. Great name for a band that!

Yeah, far from being some money-grabbing kid who didn't understand things, we've seen far less visible branding (and more flags!) since she got involved.

Talking of flags, was it Emily that started the trend? First time I remember seeing them was in 2005 and I'm sure they were her idea. Now they seem to be a staple at every single festival. I'm talking about these ones, not I heart sausage.

_41241289_flags_daveranson.jpg

A bit of flag history http://anguswatt.net/events/ although there will be others that supply them I would imagine.

I really, really, really hope it doesn't move but if it becomes unavoidable I probably would still go, at least to try it out the first time. 

The location for me is great (both in terms of the experience and the location, as I'm from Bristol) but what I really love about it is the different areas, the 'community feel' and how different it is from the more commercial events.

If they were able to replicate something similar to what they have now in a new location, sure I'd still go. But if there were substantial changes other than where it actually was, I probably wouldn't. 

It would be horrible for Pilton and other near villages if it did move. A lot of people get involved whether donating their time or working there. Many a school PTA would lose out massively for providing stewards.

A guy I know who is on site has said the last festival on the current site will be 2020...

Said there has been rumours but it was confirmed today.

Not sure whether to believe that or not?!

i call BS. While i think that ME is considering it as an option, it would be a last resort. I think the news story was purely to try and get local landowners to buck up their ideas a bit. I dont believe he would move it without first either attempting to buy as much of the surrounding land as possible, or give the landowners an ultimatum ("we can pay you X, take it, or we'll move and your land drops massively in value")

It would be horrible for Pilton and other near villages if it did move. A lot of people get involved whether donating their time or working there. Many a school PTA would lose out massively for providing stewards.

I like the idea of the local residents petitioning the council to make sure they keep the festival!