If the festival had to move locations would you still go?

Cooter

I like the idea of the local residents petitioning the council to make sure they keep the festival!

Yes, quite a change from the late '90's and early '00's situation eh?

That 2020 deadline somehow seems to have an air of inevitability to it. That would very sadly be my last Glastonbury (if I got in that year that is!).

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The suggestion is that they might have been looking at potential new sites like Matterley before all the recent twitter nonsense though...?

Funny that Emily hasn't commented to back up Michael's statements though - or has she - dont do twitter, instagram etc.

I saw this on Sky News earlier - my first thought was that ME was trying to make a point to the owners of the adjacent land that the festival uses, essentially a veiled threat that they're not willing to just keep giving them more dosh. Neil's analysis seems to be similar.

Obviously one option is for GFL to purchase the land; perhaps this is an effort to encourage that?

I'm surprised if the deals are done on a year by year basis; I'd assumed that Melvin Benn sorted that out during his time. 

Could it be an issue that ME has clocked the money they were making from executive camping and has curtailed it by doing it for himself at Worthy View.

Ultimately I can't see the festival moving (I think it would be more likely to end than pop up elsewhere) but if it were no longer at Worthy Farm then the adjacent landowners would get considerably less than they do at present.

The thing that stood out most for me was Michael reportedly saying he doesn't own the land the Pyramid is on; that really surprised me, given it's not exactly far from the farm house. Is that right?

I think if the time came to move the time would be to stop the festival. I can't imagine it not being where it is - there's so much that goes to make up the amazingness of festival and big parts of that are the location, the valley, the sun setting behind the tor, the history, the ley lines! I can't imagine the pyramid anywhere else.

Maybe it will all stop one day and Emily and her husband will start a smaller festival elsewhere.

All the more reason to really enjoy this year's festival even if it rains, or you've got tired feet, or a hangover - just never know when we might be festival-less one June.

Edited by sunnyshoes

The thing that stood out most for me was Michael reportedly saying he doesn't own the land the Pyramid is on; that really surprised me, given it's not exactly far from the farm house. Is that right?

it's a misquote. He actually said the opposite, that that's the bit* he does own.

(* more than just the one field, obviously. It's part of the bit he owns.)

Yes, quite a change from the late '90's and early '00's situation eh?

That 2020 deadline somehow seems to have an air of inevitability to it. That would very sadly be my last Glastonbury (if I got in that year that is!).

Would be the 50th anniversary.

For the record though I've seen the post JoeyTrav is on about and it looks horribly legit. Let's hope it is chinese whispers though or I am, extremely reluctantly, out.

(That said, I can't imagine site crew would be leaked info like that so far in advance? The uncertainty would be potentially devastating sponsorship wise etc)

Edited by strummer77

Having read the last few posts while necking a couple of glasses of red I've come to the conclusion that..............one, Glastonbury Festival can't be moved and anyone that thinks it can is seriously deluded. And two, Glastonbury festival may end yes, but to allow this to happen when it means so much to so many people around the world would be a complete and utter disaster.

There has to be many other options before it comes to this, Shirley!?

Would be the 50th anniversary.

For the record though I've seen the post JoeyTrav is on about and it looks horribly legit. Let's hope it is chinese whispers though or I am, extremely reluctantly, out.

(That said, I can't imagine site crew would be leaked info like that so far in advance? The uncertainty would be potentially devastating sponsorship wise etc)

What post?

I feel the same and tbh I'm panicing a bit. Dreadful news to receive before the festival.

Yea, know what you mean, I'm getting a bit of panic on as well, but also even more grateful for my ticket this year if these rumours have any truth.

But leaves a slightly bitter taste, yes forever eternally grateful for what Michael has allowed me/us to do for many years but to just end it? That can't happen.

It makes sense after a few drinks here....

Rather than letting them hold him to ransom this is now the deal - you accept the terms or the festival stops and you make no more money whatsoever and your property value plummets.

Sink or swim...

It makes sense after a few drinks here....

Rather than letting them hold him to ransom this is now the deal - you accept the terms or the festival stops and you make no more money whatsoever and your property value plummets.

Sink or swim...

mmmm, not sure, what with the onsite workers grapevine flowing. I may be just shitting myself but the news this morning and then some idiot starting this thread! and the fact that it's the 50th in 2020