Glastocam!

pauladam

6 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Not really, technology evolves all the time, the new Led ones seen at places like Reading last year are a step up in technology compared to what Glastonbury have had to date, they’re different screens. The companies supplying Glastonbury aren’t exactly not going to move with the times and keep upgrading their tech too as they’ll go bust, eventually the older stuff will be obsolete as nobody will want it. 

My point is that as the systems are almost all entirely modular, the underlying technology being supplied isn't relevant. This applies regardless of whether it's old or new. The main difference that new technology brings is less weight and more flexibility, allowing for things that would have been impractical in the past (such as the screens you mention at Reading). A company supplying display screens can build a screen to whatever size or shape the customer (GFL) wants.

Take a look at this video to see how they're put together. The basic way it works is approximately the same regardless of whether it's this, a Pyramid Screen from 15 years ago, or the Reading screens from last year - the only core difference is the respective scale..

31 minutes ago, incident said:

My point is that as the systems are almost all entirely modular, the underlying technology being supplied isn't relevant. This applies regardless of whether it's old or new. The main difference that new technology brings is less weight and more flexibility, allowing for things that would have been impractical in the past (such as the screens you mention at Reading). A company supplying display screens can build a screen to whatever size or shape the customer (GFL) wants.

Take a look at this video to see how they're put together. The basic way it works is approximately the same regardless of whether it's this, a Pyramid Screen from 15 years ago, or the Reading screens from last year - the only core difference is the respective scale..

I think the point is that improved technology may well have brought us to a place where we're getting different sized/shaped screens this year - so the tech is relevant to looking at the various bits of rigging on the ground on a webcam.

Just now, Claire0406 said:

Fence build starts Tuesday 🙂 my partner is going Monday and his team will begin it Tuesday morning x 

Ah thanks for clarification. Wonder if its just some remedial works. I had to check to see if the fence goes up that high and seems to have got further back as years gone on!  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I think the point is that improved technology may well have brought us to a place where we're getting different sized/shaped screens this year - so the tech is relevant to looking at the various bits of rigging on the ground on a webcam.

Not arguing against that - just making the point that any change will be GFL choosing to take advantage of what's available to them, rather than it being driven by what's available from the suppliers.

16 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

What a great job to have! Wish it was me

He can’t wait, they get their own little cabin for the build and take down, little fires every night, he’ll be living the dream and il be sulking at home haha. I will be sure to post updates from him on here though 🙂 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Claire0406 said:

He can’t wait, they get their own little cabin for the build and take down, little fires every night, he’ll be living the dream and il be sulking at home haha. I will be sure to post updates from him on here though 🙂 

Awesome, how long does it take to put up? Will he be working there all the way through to when the fence is taken down, or just a a couple of weeks now and then another couple of weeks in July to take it down again?

24 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

Awesome, how long does it take to put up? Will he be working there all the way through to when the fence is taken down, or just a a couple of weeks now and then another couple of weeks in July to take it down again?

They get to choose if they want to stay for the take down, he will be, think they aim to have it finished by the 19th, get a ticket so about ten days off to enjoy it and then take down again. So he’ll be there a little while. I can’t wait to go visit and see it being built, il share any pics I take 🙂 I’m also working but stewarding up at the Eavis’s house during the festival 🙂 x 

32 minutes ago, Claire0406 said:

Hi! If your other half wants to share photos or any details whatsoever then we’re here for it! 😀😀😀

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Claire0406 said:

They get to choose if they want to stay for the take down, he will be, think they aim to have it finished by the 19th, get a ticket so about ten days off to enjoy it and then take down again. So he’ll be there a little while. I can’t wait to go visit and see it being built, il share any pics I take 🙂 I’m also working but stewarding up at the Eavis’s house during the festival 🙂 x 

Do they need any new employees?  This sounds like the dream! 

• Upvote 1

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

whacking those supports for the fence into the ground looks bloody hard work 

I thought the posts go into a kind of socket in the ground? 

But hopefully this is the kind of information we'll find out from @Claire0406

1 minute ago, stuie said:

I thought the posts go into a kind of socket in the ground? 

But hopefully this is the kind of information we'll find out from @Claire0406

I swear i saw someone whacking some big pegs into the supports where those videos were posted a few pages back ... the hard ground would be a nightmare at the moment for them 

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

I swear i saw someone whacking some big pegs into the supports where those videos were posted a few pages back ... the hard ground would be a nightmare at the moment for them 

I was just looking for the video… I didn’t watch it yet.

3 hours ago, Junglist1981 said:

That'd be a huuuuge screen

Thinking about it I don't know how I feel about bigger screens, reckon they were probably the perfect size before relative to the stage. Could certainly see what was going on clearly from right at the back. Wouldn't want them detracting from the pyramid too much.

Nah, at Kylie last time we couldn't even see the screens because of all the flags.  We were near to the rear viewing platform, still got to hear her which was great fun.

Todays run

*audio by TSHA ( hmmmm not for me gov)

*trackway being laid into the other stage field from peri track behind the pyramid.  Presumably to load in the Other stage.

20220427_151921.thumb.jpg.c75d5e7268fe0e68457fe83df04eeb5c.jpg

*trees being cleared from behind permaculture. 

20220427_152302.thumb.jpg.f1a6c4afa20699a8966d27c97a088602.jpg

* West Holts coming along

20220427_152936.thumb.jpg.1db29a7f8c6a886607b1bff56cc7ffc9.jpg

* machinery up at the Park.

*  pegs out marking out stalls in Avalon field.

* nothing happening at Arcrania

* VERY busy at Ped gate A . lots of deliveries.

* no rain. Not a drop. Dusty as Gandhi 's flip flop.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5