Who are The Who Replacing?

fitzyp

I think it's the whole balance thing with Florence - if you've got a proper "legend" one night then you can get away with an "up and comer" another night (e.g when Mumford and The Rolling Stones did it in 2013) and you overall still have what is considered a strong lineup.

If they had put Florence on the Sunday this year, I think the overall lineup wouldn't have been considered very strong. But for instance, if Glasto had originally had The Who and the Foos booked and were having problems securing Kanye, they would probably have been able to bump her up in his place, and the lineup would still be strong.

I don't buy that you need to have a proper 'legend' in the line up at all, and seemingly neither did GFL until 2009. Foos and Kanye are both huge headliners, having a smaller third headliner wouldn't make much difference to the strength of the line up when compared to its peers.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No it wouldn't, and i don't think that's what people are getting at. People are questioning why they went after The Who after they had sold out on the strength of the announced headliners, and they had a third act already booked who Emily believes could headline.

She's doesn't seem to think that deep down does she? (unless Florence herself doesn't feel ready to headline) or thats she would have done? Maybe Florence can only on the Friday and they can't move Foo Fighers either? There are loads of reasons why the festival might have had to go another headliner sized band.

Edited by LondonTom

someone needs to come along and smash down the boundaries and make something new. Something that I and people my age will hate!

Kanye West is pretty much doing it, maybe not so young anymore but still, but everyone here seems to hate him because 'he's a twat'. Causing them to forget probably the strongest back catalog any major artist has since 2000.

Kanye West is pretty much doing it, maybe not so young anymore but still, but everyone here seems to hate him because 'he's a twat'. Causing them to forget probably the strongest back catalog any major artist has since 2000.

Aye a few people have said that. I think I might have to go along and see what all the fuss is about.

I'm a 100% behind the Foo's even though I don't like them

I'm a 100% behind Kanye even though i think he's an egotistical f***wit

The Who? if they'd never done it fair enough, if it's their last ever uk gig then maybe, but otherwise it's unimaginative and a bit dull.

Looking forward to the story behind it all.

The Who? if they'd never done it fair enough, if it's their last ever uk gig then maybe, but otherwise it's unimaginative and a bit dull.

which is fair enough that you think that, tho it's blindingly obvious that it's a late replacement for something else, and where the options would now be extremely limited.

So as far as it goes within that 'late replacement' situation they're a pretty big act to have, and an awful lot of work is having to take place to make it happen.

Aye a few people have said that. I think I might have to go along and see what all the fuss is about.

now metallica you stayed for 2 songs, how many was it for jay-z?

i wonder if kanye will beat your song record of 'artists i dont wanna see but going along to see what the fuss is about!'

which is fair enough that you think that, tho it's blindingly obvious that it's a late replacement for something else, and where the options would now be extremely limited.

So as far as it goes within that 'late replacement' situation they're a pretty big act to have, and an awful lot of work is having to take place to make it happen.

Seems so. To the point where they've had to drastically change plans, fucking over people who have nothing to do with the festival.

Only the French, granted. But some people seem to sympathise with that Argentinian lad from Brazil.

Surely they didn't go for Prince again Neil? Surely not. After last year?

Edited by The Nal

You're only going to be able to stomach this if you put high emphasis on production. That is 80% of KW. If you like your hip-hop to be hip-hoppy, then you'll be sorely disappointed.

Yeah. I just think the festival slightly misjudged the level of popularity that The Who retain. I'm not certain that the U35 group (which is the majority of the festival) will be fans. Whilst they may have had a big part in rock history, it's not one that seems to have passed down a generation.

Just my feeling mind you. Could be wrong :)

People are only questioning it because it was The Who though. If it was someone who hadn't played so 'recently' then I don't think that would come into the question.

I don't think the 'recently' played thing is a part of it to be honest, so many people were holding out for Blur who are even more recent. Blur wouldn't have excited me like it would others but each to their own.

If this was due to Glasto trying for Prince and then him not committing or pulling out... just stop trying to book the little f*cker!

I love Prince. He is the consummate performer and really does rock! Live he is hard funk, rock, soul with pure musicianship. BUT!!! He can be such an arse!

If he doesn't wanna play then sod 'im.

Blimey it is like trying to keep that gorgeous girl who wants to tease and play around... just let her go!

Anyhoo... Prince may have nout to do with it. I'll be off in Shangri La before the crush starts anyway!

Edited by muffin

So going by this, are we to think that the festival didn't in the end see FATM as a headliner?, given that Emily's comments were that they aren't but they could?

Seems so. To the point where they've had to drastically change plans, fucking over people who have nothing to do with the festival.

Only the French, granted. But some people seem to sympathise with that Argentinian lad from Brazil.

Yeah, but if they'd got Emeli Sandé as Glasto headliner you'd be posting to say "why didn't they fuck over the French?" :P

Surely they didn't go for Prince again Neil? Surely not. After last year?

I'm not getting drawn on what I think I know. :)

She's doesn't seem to think that deep down does she? (unless Florence herself doesn't feel ready to headline) or thats she would have done? Maybe Florence can only on the Friday and they can't move Foo Fighers either? There are loads of reasons why the festival might have had to go another headliner sized band.

Maybe informally she's agreed to do 2018 for the next next album, when she thinks it might be more beneficial. Or maybe, as you say, someone in the band is busy on the Sunday. People always check tour dates, but it's a band of people in their late-20s/early-30s. On a Sunday in June, one of them probably has a wedding they should be at.

So going by this, are we to think that the festival didn't in the end see FATM as a headliner?, given that Emily's comments were that they aren't but they could?

I think there's a whole very-complicated thing gone on, where simple solutions like that might not have been practical solutions.

On the basis that Neil has asserted a few times that he believes Emily never knowingly lies, and her Tweet regarding the wee funk man, I'm guessing it wasn't him.

Potential complicated shenanigans:

Fleetwood Mac trying to get round the exclusive clause;

The Roses nearly having an album to promote that they then dumped;

Waters and Gilmour having a petty spat.

And all that's before the vaccines new album gets an airing.

Good point. I forgot about that! I'll see you at the Vaccines, right? Other stage, Friday. Pints are on me

(If I confess I've preordered their new one on vinyl, how much abuse will I get?)

Edited by Mardy