Who are The Who Replacing?

fitzyp

I've heard nothing further about how Chris might have been involved, tho cos I know more of what's gone on than I'm currently saying I can see a place where his involvement might have been crucial.

This has got Geldof and Midge Ure written all over it...

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm it's all a bit strange.

The whole world - including the music industry thought it would be FM until they said IOW only. Even after that some will still have thought this was a cover ( cf Metallica 2014).the way it was announced by FM somewhat annoyed me - clearly this is all to sell tickets and for cash.

Everyone else made plans. Eavii then look around - get a good line up - still no one 'big' ( ie fresh and legend) or so tries prince.... No luck... Maybe asks his big USA philanthropic mates to help...still no prince...Elton busy ( David is having lipo and he needs to babysit) madge is in plaster cause she fell again... Kylie isn't relevant... Amy died a few years ago.... Panic stations.... Can we get anyone to re form.... even the Eavii will start to feel paranoid - does know one want to come to the party..:. Is there a back story?

Ask a massive favour from The Who, pay big, stump up associated costs ( or bargain off TV coverage / next years ticket price)...

Hmmmm it's all a bit strange.

The whole world - including the music industry thought it would be FM until they said IOW only. Even after that some will still have thought this was a cover ( cf Metallica 2014).the way it was announced by FM somewhat annoyed me - clearly this is all to sell tickets and for cash.

Everyone else made plans. Eavii then look around - get a good line up - still no one 'big' ( ie fresh and legend) or so tries prince.... No luck... Maybe asks his big USA philanthropic mates to help...still no prince...Elton busy ( David is having lipo and he needs to babysit) madge is in plaster cause she fell again... Kylie isn't relevant... Amy died a few years ago.... Panic stations.... Can we get anyone to re form.... even the Eavii will start to feel paranoid - does know one want to come to the party..:. Is there a back story?

Ask a massive favour from The Who, pay big, stump up associated costs ( or bargain off TV coverage / next years ticket price)...

Or bump up Florence for a perfectly adequate "new", "boosted up" headliner?

Or bump up Florence for a perfectly adequate "new", "boosted up" headliner?

Considering it had sold out and they already had 2 big headliners this would seem a reasonable course of action, perhaps there was a huge spike in unpaid balances and they got nervous?

Oh come on, I understand people aren't happy about the choice of some headliners, but I don't understand people saying they would rather see someone else boosted up as a headliner. If you want to see Florence you can see her. If it was Florence headlining the Sunday with Weller subbing her, would that make it a stronger festival?

Oh come on, I understand people aren't happy about the choice of some headliners, but I don't understand people saying they would rather see someone else boosted up as a headliner. If you want to see Florence you can see her. If it was Florence headlining the Sunday with Weller subbing her, would that make it a stronger festival?

No it wouldn't, and i don't think that's what people are getting at. People are questioning why they went after The Who after they had sold out on the strength of the announced headliners, and they had a third act already booked who Emily believes could headline.

What was it Emily said about females being prominent on the line-up giving artists the bump up... was she thinking more of Florence to sub with PalomaFaith high up and decent slots for Courtney Barrett, Alabama Shakes etc? There aren't really many up and coming females in prominent slots this year... add Patti Smith, Mavis Staples and Mary J Blige for more established artists.

No it wouldn't, and i don't think that's what people are getting at. People are questioning why they went after The Who after they had sold out on the strength of the announced headliners, and they had a third act already booked who Emily believes could headline.

People are only questioning it because it was The Who though. If it was someone who hadn't played so 'recently' then I don't think that would come into the question. The booking of The Who is a questionable one, but surely the point of booking another headliner when you already have someone else on the bill who could headline is to make the lineup stronger? I never went when The Who played, but I find it strange as well considering they've done nothing of note since then to warrant playing.

It's a shame for Florence that she wasn't given the chance but how many people would be happier watching her as a headliner than sub and getting to watch a different headliner (elsewhere if they don't like the who)?

Florence as sub before Hot chip and then Chemicals on Sunday (with no belle and seb clash) - all worked out nicely for me.

People are only questioning it because it was The Who though. If it was someone who hadn't played so 'recently' then I don't think that would come into the question. The booking of The Who is a questionable one, but surely the point of booking another headliner when you already have someone else on the bill who could headline is to make the lineup stronger? I never went when The Who played, but I find it strange as well considering they've done nothing of note since then to warrant playing.

People would be questioning it if it was anyone but Fleetwood Mac or Prince, the expectation was that it would be another 'one-off' type act as they weren't just bumping up Florence

Edited by blackred

Its not and I'd be the reaction on here would have been glorious of battle of people declaring the end of the Festivals and fans of those acts declaring how 'credible' they all are.

Hmm. I wonder what that would be like ;)

It's a shame for Florence that she wasn't given the chance but how many people would be happier watching her as a headliner than sub and getting to watch a different headliner (elsewhere if they don't like the who)?

Florence as sub before Hot chip and then Chemicals on Sunday (with no belle and seb clash) - all worked out nicely for me.

Did you see florences last performance at the fest? Didn't suggest headliner material to me

People would be questioning it if it was anyone but Fleetwood Mac or Prince, the expectation was that it would be another 'one-off' type act as they weren't just bumping up Florence

The holding the announcement back thing wasn't about having someone huge though was it, it was because they were contracted to play elsewhere. That's why Blur seemed favourites.

Edited by Alan_C

The holding the announcement back thing wasn't about having someone huge thought was it, it was because they were contracted to play elsewhere. That's why Blur seemed favourites.

It was both, plenty of people were saying Blur would be a boring booking after 2009 in the headliners thread when they were front runners.

Did you see florences last performance at the fest? Didn't suggest headliner material to me

I seen her at TITP a few years ago, and she didn't come across as a headliner to me either. A sub spot seems a perfect fit to me.

It was both, plenty of people were saying Blur would be a boring booking after 2009 in the headliners thread when they were front runners.

No I'm not doubting some people didn't want Blur, I'm just saying all of this 'Special guest' stuff on the lineup poster was all down to the fact they weren't allowed to announce it at the time, it wasn't that they had some huge surprise they wanted to hold back from the rest of the lineup.

I think it's the whole balance thing with Florence - if you've got a proper "legend" one night then you can get away with an "up and comer" another night (e.g when Mumford and The Rolling Stones did it in 2013) and you overall still have what is considered a strong lineup.

If they had put Florence on the Sunday this year, I think the overall lineup wouldn't have been considered very strong. But for instance, if Glasto had originally had The Who and the Foos booked and were having problems securing Kanye, they would probably have been able to bump her up in his place, and the lineup would still be strong.

Edited by JoBalls

No I'm not doubting some people didn't want Blur, I'm just saying all of this 'Special guest' stuff on the lineup poster was all down to the fact they weren't allowed to announce it at the time, it wasn't that they had some huge surprise they wanted to hold back from the rest of the lineup.

Yeah I agree, nobody doubted contractual reasons for the 'Special Guests' on the line up, but lots of people built up their hopes that it would be a huge announcement and are now disappointed its not. There would have been a backlash against anybody but Prince or Fleetwood Mac, though no doubt the cancelling of gigs and Pete's past offences have made it a bit bigger than it would be for most others. Of course the most important reason why its a shit booking is it's giving me Sunday night 2007 flashbacks!

Is this really the best they could do though. A very old aged Rock band and a nearly as old aged rocker. They aren't doing much to appeal to the younger generation this year.

K West and Foo's not enough of an appeal for you? Would you rather have a re run of Mumford or Muse? Stones are as you put it " a very old aged rock band", they pulled a huge crowd as would anyone in the same boat Led Zep and Pink Floyd to name a few!