Hangovers

boblaw

I ordered some Solpadeine Plus from an online chemist last night on the recommendation of a few off here. Today I got an email asking a few questions about why I ordered them, what else have I tried before these and what other medication I'm taking. My reply? "I'm going to Glastonbury and I've been told these bad boys work a charm for the morning after the night before, if you know what I mean".

I thought they'd just cancel the order, but instead they replied "OK, we'll get them sent out. Enjoy Glastonbury."

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ordered some Solpadeine Plus from an online chemist last night on the recommendation of a few off here. Today I got an email asking a few questions about why I ordered them, what else have I tried before these and what other medication I'm taking. My reply? "I'm going to Glastonbury and I've been told these bad boys work a charm for the morning after the night before, if you know what I mean".

I thought they'd just cancel the order, but instead they replied "OK, we'll get them sent out. Enjoy Glastonbury."

That is fantastic. I wouldn't even have the balls to send them that message.

So weird how people differ, ive had to write off whole weeks before because of a hard comedown. I'd much rather 24hrs of headache & sick than unmeasurable tiredness & depression. Still it's normally manageable.

Another vote here for how crap hangovers are. I can't do anything when I'm hungover, but give me a comedown and I can manage. Maybe I've just had more come downs to deal with than hangovers!

Really interested in testing 5-HTP. I suffer with awful anxiety and low mood swings the day(s) after both drinking and taking the naughty stuff so anything that can help this would be great!

Is it something I can take sporadically, i.e. if I took it the day after a heavy one would I feel any benefit, or would I need to have been regularly taking it beforehand to reap the benefits?

For those of you who recommend the rehydration / sports drink route I was reading a study by an American uni that tested water/sports drink & milk in post sport rehydration. Milk came up tops by a long shot.

Worth looking at.

I always have milk first thing in the morning after drinking. Does the trick for me especially if i drink it through a straw

Edited by kellly

Really interested in testing 5-HTP. I suffer with awful anxiety and low mood swings the day(s) after both drinking and taking the naughty stuff so anything that can help this would be great!

Is it something I can take sporadically, i.e. if I took it the day after a heavy one would I feel any benefit, or would I need to have been regularly taking it beforehand to reap the benefits?

I take it regularly as it helps my sleep patterns, but I used to just take it either just before going to bed or the next morning and it seemed to stop me getting really anxious and depressed. I can deal with headaches, sickness etc but hate feeling like that. There's a link a couple pages back to the ones I get from Amazon. Best if u remember to take them before bed

For those of you who recommend the rehydration / sports drink route I was reading a study by an American uni that tested water/sports drink & milk in post sport rehydration. Milk came up tops by a long shot.

Worth looking at.

they both have a similar amount of sugar so they'll do a similar thing for hydration. milk has protein which certainly helps with post-sport recovery, but not so much with hangovers.

if you really want rid of a hangover, take a sports drink/electrolyte solution before bed, when you wake up overnight drink some more of it, and in the morning drink more. take ibuprofen the night before (it's anti-imflammatory properties help with headaches), and again when you wake up if you're still battling. i've never had a hangover headache that ibuprofen didn't smash through, and i've pushed the envelope quite a bit.

a strong coffee, multi-vitamin and something sugary along with some more complex carbs helps to manage it. you'll need more water as the caffeine works as a diuretic - it makes you more of a human being but you'll also delay hydration. apart from more sleep and hydration, there's nothing physiologically else that you can do. caffeine jolts you awake and carbs/vitamin pill will help replace what you've lost.

Edited by majormajormajor

Same... I always crave milk the next day. Always does the trick. Gonna have to catch the milk truck in the morning this year

I try and catch it every morning...by saying I i actually mean getting my other half to leg it half asleep out of the tent for it but same difference. But it certainly sorts me out for the day

they both have a similar amount of sugar so they'll do a similar thing for hydration. milk has protein which certainly helps with post-sport recovery, but not so much with hangovers.

if you really want rid of a hangover, take a sports drink/electrolyte solution before bed, when you wake up overnight drink some more of it, and in the morning drink more. take ibuprofen the night before (it's anti-imflammatory properties help with headaches), and again when you wake up if you're still battling. i've never had a hangover headache that ibuprofen didn't smash through, and i've pushed the envelope quite a bit.

a strong coffee, multi-vitamin and something sugary along with some more complex carbs helps to manage it. you'll need more water as the caffeine works as a diuretic - it makes you more of a human being but you'll also delay hydration. apart from more sleep and hydration, there's nothing physiologically else that you can do. caffeine jolts you awake and carbs/vitamin pill will help replace what you've lost.

The anti diuretic properties of coffee are quite negligible, so anyone reading shouldn't worry. Also, I'd be hesitant with taking ibuprofen after a night drinking, as ibuprofen is an NSAID and hence irritates your stomach lining. This isn't usually a problem with food but as alcohol also increases gastric acid secretion (which could cause some horrible pain the next day) I would assess whether it is worth taking.

Apparently 5HTP is not available legally in Ireland cause it was found in Legal Highs sold in Head Shops here

http://www.drugsandalcohol.ie/13971/

It was a trace of it, but it doesn't have any capabilities of making you high. It has a mile less Serotonin in it than a low level anti depressant. It's just designed to help combat sleep problems and very mild depression. I don't think Holland & Barrett have started branching out into the legal high market quite yet!

It was a trace of it, but it doesn't have any capabilities of making you high. It has a mile less Serotonin in it than a low level anti depressant. It's just designed to help combat sleep problems and very mild depression. I don't think Holland & Barrett have started branching out into the legal high market quite yet!

That'll be the day! Holland & Barrets own value brand snow blow ha!

I heard there was all sorts of stuff in those legal highs but it's messed it all up for people who actually use 5HTP propoerly. Never had either but was interested in trying this from reading on here!

i just go with the keep drinking route, if head is banging too much I'll take an ibuprofen trying to drink some water, capri sun, smoothie and just get on with it seems to work at festivals - personally think because you are outside you definitely recover differently as I'm normally okay just tired more than anything tbh

All these lotions and potions seem a bit excessive to me, but each to their own I suppose

No. Take it before you go to bed so your body can start to rebuild serotonin quickly. Then when you wake up it'll hopefully be much more manageable. No need to pre-load or any of that sort of nonsense. It should have an effect on you without having done it before, or recently. In fact, if anything, I'd assume it would have a greater effect if your body wasn't used to it.

No. Take it before you go to bed so your body can start to rebuild serotonin quickly. Then when you wake up it'll hopefully be much more manageable. No need to pre-load or any of that sort of nonsense. It should have an effect on you without having done it before, or recently. In fact, if anything, I'd assume it would have a greater effect if your body wasn't used to it.

Great cheers for advice. Reading up online a bit more a few sources say it shouldn't be taken with alcohol and obviously at Glasto your basically pissed all the time so are there known interactions ? Can't imagine it being any more dangerous than mixing alcohol with drugs is, but curious as to whether mixing all 3 could be a bad idea?

Great cheers for advice. Reading up online a bit more a few sources say it shouldn't be taken with alcohol and obviously at Glasto your basically pissed all the time so are there known interactions ? Can't imagine it being any more dangerous than mixing alcohol with drugs is, but curious as to whether mixing all 3 could be a bad idea?

i mix all three at every festival i go to and i've never felt any negative side effects (that could be directly attributed to the mixing of them - i obviously feel shite for days after the festival, but that's almost definitely more because of the five days of drinking and drugs)

MDMA will deplete your serotonin supplies. 5-HTP is broken down in the body into serotonin - 5-HTP itself is a natural byproduct of serotonin production in your body. You're just jumpstarting the process. Alcohol doesn't inherently deplete serotonin, and I think as long as you don't suffer from some sort of alcoholism, you should be fine. Unfortunately I don't have the time to be able to look into it for you - but I think you'll be alright. Everything in moderation and all that.