katiegloss

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IoW is an old-school pure bands in a field type festival. Lineup is always really top heavy - some megabucks headliners, a few other big names, some absolute dross. Very little to do other than the music. None of your own booze in the arena. Rectangular shape to the arena makes for bottlenecks/v muddy areas (although they usually do all right with the weather). Shuts down at 2am. A trek to get there and back.

Obviously if you really want to see 2 or 3 of their big names, it might be worth it. I found there were a lot more people who were really only there for one of the big names than at Glasto or other fests.

Already going to Primavera in May & now working at Glastonbury YAY!!!

I was hoping to work at Isle of Wight too, I am desperate to see Fleetwood Mac and refuse to pay their ticket prices. I would love to see Blur too though, mind.

Also, I am hoping to work at Camp Bestival for a free ticket at Bestival!

I was hoping to work at Isle of Wight too, I am desperate to see Fleetwood Mac and refuse to pay their ticket prices. I would love to see Blur too though, mind.

Good news mate! Didn't want you to miss out :D

I went in 2011. Got a great set of headliners this year, but below that its weak for me. I didn't think much of it as an overall festival. There wasn't any trouble, and the people there seemed decent enough, but I found everyone quite unsociable compared to other festivals. Most people seemed to just want to keep themselves to themselves, and the atmosphere during the music wasn't great either. Away from the music, there's a few bars etc, but nothing else going on really. If the lineup appeals to you then its worth going to as an extra to Glastonbury. I've preferred T in the Park as a whole a lot more though, despite there being a decent percentage of arseholes who go there.

Isle of Shite more like.

Seriously though, the island itself is nice. I went in 2006 and there were 2 stages, with the second one not being much good at all. Got themselves two decent headliners this year though. Not bothered looking at the line up - it's usually very middle of the road and safe. Sounds like it's changed a bit now but when I went there was nothing to do after they bands finished - standard soulless arena festival.

Im a new poster so feel i dont know the rules!

The rules as I see them:

First Rule of efestivals: Don't talk about P*****

Second Rule of efestivals: DONT TALK ABOUT P*****

Third Rule of efestivals: Suspect anyone called Matt

Fouth Rule of efestivals: Don't be a dick.

I'm sure you will do fine.

Welcome aboard.

The rules as I see them:

First Rule of efestivals: Don't talk about P*****

Second Rule of efestivals: DONT TALK ABOUT P*****

Third Rule of efestivals: Suspect anyone called Matt

Fouth Rule of efestivals: Don't be a dick.

I'm sure you will do fine.

Welcome aboard.

I'm down with the first three, but the fourth rule? Stop spoiling my fun.

After going to IOW last year and it'd take something very special for me to go back; there is very little to do on site which you don't have to pay extra for and the first decent acts come on at about 7pm. I spent half of my weekend in Newport town centre trying to kill time, it's the only festival I've been to where I've really been bored for an extended period of time.

As others have noted, the clientèle is incredibly reserved; it's not really a festival crowd, probably more like the kind of people you'd expect to go on a Thomas Cook holiday, no one is actively nasty but everyone acts like they come from Central London

Edited by rawaudioinput

After going to IOW last year and it'd take something very special for me to go back; there is very little to do on site which you don't have to pay extra for and the first decent acts come on at about 7pm. I spent half of my weekend in Newport town centre trying to kill time, it's the only festival I've been to where I've really been bored for an extended period of time.

Suck on *that* Giddings you mug.

Bravo mate. Proper bone-dry slating.

Only been to IOW once because the headliners were Tom Petty, Pearl Jam and Bruce Springsteen. I know these things are subjective, but that was about as perfect as it gets for me.

I thought it was a pleasant enough festival, much nicer than Reading for instance, although I probably won't go again (unless they get another line up like the one above) because it's a bit of a pain to get to. Ferries are expensive if you take a car.

Every year I look at Isle of Wight and think 'How the fuck have they managed to get those headliners!'. The undercard is much more like what you'd expect of a festival it's size but it always seems to have a really good lineup. For me this year I love all the headliners (A real rarity with any festival) and the undercard does look pretty strong. If I didn't fall right in the middle of fucking A level exam season I'd probably be going

If I were to list acts from Isle of Wight I think could be at Glasto it would be as follows:

• Pharrell - Can see him 3rd down on the Pyramid
  • First Aid Kit - Park headliners?
  • Courteeners - Mid other stage
  • Imelda May - Low Pyramid
  • Jess Glynne - JPT or dance village?
  • Paul Oakenfold - One of the dance stages
  • The Charlatans - 3rd/4th down on the other stage
  • Foxes - A smaller stage somewhere
  • Pretty Vicious/Ruen Brothers - Williams Green or something similar
  • Geno Washington - West Holts possibly

But they're just my guesses. I would certainly consider IOW this year if I could make it, but given I don't think it is gonna be selling out for a few months (If at all) I'd wait until Glasto have announced their line up before making a decision

Edited by DGrant261

This work at camp bestival and get a free bestival ticket thing, where do I sign up? Maybe i'm a dope but can't seem to find it

No, no. Just be wary of Americanisation. Unless you're an American, in which case all hope is lost.

It's a slippery slope, you see. Today it's a 'hate on', tomorrow it's 'off of' and before you know you're using 'gotten' on a daily basis. You'll say you can quit, er, I mean, stop, but we all know it's not that easy,

I've seen good men go this way, never to return.

i love all that and it annoys people too which is even more of a reason to love it.