Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

5 minutes ago, zero000 said:

Is there? Other than the obvious that she’s Russian. 

https://www.mrafterparty.com/social-media-reacts-to-nina-kravizs-peace-post/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Techno/comments/t4n54g/interesting_backlash_from_the_scene_on_nina/

Not in the loop, but think it might be about these things

1 hour ago, gfa said:

I can't see my group even getting to SE Corner at this rate, everyone is beyond excited by Calvin, Chase and status. Chems will be definite once announced too.

TSHA a great addition, not listened before and really liking

Arcadia finishes long before SE corner though. Will defo stop the initial rush though

17 minutes ago, MaseTMT said:

Arcadia finishes long before SE corner though. Will defo stop the initial rush though

I don't think many of them will be heading anywhere other than bed at 3am honestly!

51 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

It stems from her beef with Nastia but there are also accusations of being a Putin sympathiser and not using her platform to condemn her countries actions. It's complex. Obviously she's not obliged to say anything but social media scrutiny these days demands that artists take a stand. It's not as easy as that, I guess. Some would say keep politics off the dancefloor but that's also very difficult, isn't it?

45 minutes ago, Acid Loafers said:

Thanks guys. Will have a read. 

Amelie Lens would be an absolute road block unless she’s up against someone massive who appeals equally to the same audience.

I also didn’t really like being around the audience at Exhale. I’m a huge fan but I think i’d be too nervous to go 😬 

1 hour ago, TheDayman said:

It won't happen but I'd love a bit of this during the day (under the sun 🤞), banging set from start to finish

The trouble is, and others may correct me, I just don't think she plays like this anymore. That's four years ago and I can only remember sets I've seen/heard in the last couple being 10bpm faster, massive reverbed kick drum left to boom alone frequently in between tracks, and just lowest denominator bang bang bang. I promise I'm not being a moaning Minnie, it's just that that Awakenings set is off the scale fantastic and it frustrates me that I'll possibly not see her play a set like that. I can only imagine, if the Arcadia line up proves genuine, that she'll headline and will play a nosebleed kind of set. It'll be absolutely rammo, mind, as she's one of the very biggest name draws in world techno atm.

Ben

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

The trouble is, and others may correct me, I just don't think she plays like this anymore. That's four years ago and I can only remember sets I've seen/heard in the last couple being 10bpm faster, massive reverbed kick drum left to boom alone frequently in between tracks, and just lowest denominator bang bang bang. I promise I'm not being a moaning Minnie, it's just that that Awakenings set is off the scale fantastic and it frustrates me that I'll possibly not see her play a set like that. I can only imagine, if the Arcadia line up proves genuine, that she'll headline and will play a nosebleed kind of set. It'll be absolutely rammo, mind, as she's one of the very biggest name draws in world techno atm.

Ben

I saw her recently at Printeworks and while it was banging it was still sonically very impressive. She adds a lot of complexity and depth to the tunes she plays on the fly…

Edited by Twiggy553

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Some would say keep politics off the dancefloor but that's also very difficult, isn't it?

Especially when 'modern' dance music especially was born out of difficult and complex political times in itself. 

Edited by David_303

4 hours ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Really? I’m quite surprised at that. You’ll know for next time I guess. Pretty sure they play as a 3 every year.

When you say as a 3 who do you mean? I’ve listened to Hessle somewhat regularly over the past few years and didn’t realise it was anyone but Ben plus Guests.

but also generally yes, A LOT of electronic music fans are fans without listening to stuff like regular radio stations or specific label output. 

4 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

When you say as a 3 who do you mean? I’ve listened to Hessle somewhat regularly over the past few years and didn’t realise it was anyone but Ben plus Guests.

but also generally yes, A LOT of electronic music fans are fans without listening to stuff like regular radio stations or specific label output. 

'Hessle Audio' as an act is 'always' Ben + Pangaea + Pearson Sound.

I think 'most' dance/tech-heads would know that, but that name is nowhere near as recognised as simply 'Ben UFO', as his solo sets are much higher profile than the others'.

Though, of course, I'd be an Pangaea before any other combo! 😉

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22

13 minutes ago, Twiggy553 said:

I saw her recently at Printeworks and while it was banging it was still sonically very impressive. She adds a lot of complexity and depth to the tunes she plays on the fly…

Yeah, fair do's. Don't get me wrong, I really like Amelie and think she's a great DJ. Just slightly frustrated at the influence that her change of direction has had on techno in the UK over the last few years. It seems that the Amelie/Perc/Rebekah is 'what everyone wants' in this country atm, in terms of techno nights.

Give me Oscar Mulero any day (night).

Ben

4 hours ago, Divein said:

I know they one of the most popular acts in this thread but just posting the Overmono essential mix  incase anyone has missed it, as it's great.

Is there anything else  which is similar that might be worth checking out? This and Four Tet my type of vibe.

I tried the Job Jose mix and couldn't get on board with it. 

Listen to HAAI’s Mixmag set.

which Jobs set did you try ? The essential mix is quite four tet dj set vibes imo

2 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

I think 'most' dance/tech-heads would know that, but that name is nowhere near as recognised as simply 'Ben UFO', as his solo sets are much higher profile than the others'.

Ben

You heard Pearson sounds  Fabric live set Ben when he was known as ramadanman? What a set! 

2 hours ago, Acid Loafers said:

image.png.586d577366ca05e9283cdbf259604981.png

From other threads, apparently Carl Cox shared this himself

Spider returning is interesting, wasn't too much of a fan of the crane personally

Interesting line up. TSHA will be nuts on there, but I hope that’s not Four Tet’s only set tbh. DJ EZ will be a vibe, and jopkins would be good but the rest not for me. 

lots of big names though and I know plent that will be chuffed with Lens, Chase and status, coxy and Nina.

7 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Ben

Good to know, will defo hit that up at the festival. Ben’s the man but I’m a little unfamiliar with the rest.

9 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Interesting line up. TSHA will be nuts on there, but I hope that’s not Four Tet’s only set tbh. DJ EZ will be a vibe, and jopkins would be good but the rest not for me. 

lots of big names though and I know plent that will be chuffed with Lens, Chase and status, coxy and Nina.

Four Tet is on the main poster which generally seems to mean two sets. Expected to headline JP i think friday?

2 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

It stems from her beef with Nastia but there are also accusations of being a Putin sympathiser and not using her platform to condemn her countries actions. It's complex. Obviously she's not obliged to say anything but social media scrutiny these days demands that artists take a stand. It's not as easy as that, I guess. Some would say keep politics off the dancefloor but that's also very difficult, isn't it?

Ah I mean, I think it’s unfair to expect artists to do so. She’s not representing Russia, she’s just Russian.

7 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

I hope that’s not Four Tet’s only set tbh.

I was wondering if him being on Arcadia is what the main poster is referencing, or if he will have a Live set somewhere like JP.

He also has a "usual" Classic slot, 11AM at Stonebridge if memory serves me right. Would expect he might get it again, as he's said he likes to play it.

Just now, gfa said:

Four Tet is on the main poster which generally seems to mean two sets. Expected to headline JP i think friday?

Not necessarily, but he did play multiple times last time. 

I personally expect him to headline JP but I don’t think it will be a live set. Just hoping I’m not wrong!

2 minutes ago, Acid Loafers said:

I was wondering if him being on Arcadia is what the main poster is referencing, or if he will have a Live set somewhere like JP.

He also has a "usual" Classic slot, 11AM at Stonebridge if memory serves me right. Would expect he might get it again, as he's said he likes to play it.

Yeah that was my worry from when we first had rumours of him on Arcadia. A main poster listing isn’t a guarantee of a main stage slot.

12 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Yeah, fair do's. Don't get me wrong, I really like Amelie and think she's a great DJ. Just slightly frustrated at the influence that her change of direction has had on techno in the UK over the last few years. It seems that the Amelie/Perc/Rebekah is 'what everyone wants' in this country atm, in terms of techno nights.

Give me Oscar Mulero any day (night).

Ben

i hear you, I like diversity in my techno too.

Weirdly all the other acts that night were wishy-washy dull AF (apart from Volvox who was tearing it up in the Inkwells) - I had never even heard of the guy who was on before her (Sam Paganini? Anyone? Bueler?).

4 minutes ago, Twiggy553 said:

i hear you, I like diversity in my techno too.

Weirdly all the other acts that night were wishy-washy dull AF (apart from Volvox who was tearing it up in the Inkwells) - I had never even heard of the guy who was on before her (Sam Paganini? Anyone? Bueler?).

Sam Paganini has been around for...EVER!

And yes, Volvox - Oooft.

Ben

5 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Yeah that was my worry from when we first had rumours of him on Arcadia. A main poster listing isn’t a guarantee of a main stage slot.

Not a guarantee, but I'm 99% sure that that's what his presence on the poster means. Have Arcadia acts only playing there ever been on the poster? I'd ask @Gnomicide, but he feels a bit queasy coming in here...

Ben