Fleetwood Mac 2015

Matt42

I'd always assumed they were a well respected band? Rumours often gets mentioned as one of the all time great albums.

I made an extra effort to get into them for last year, and really enjoyed a lot of what I heard. But some of my mates have been fans as long as I can remember.

I think it's probably because kids don't really give a fuck about what's cool or not. The internet has made it acceptable for people to like a massive range of music without pigeon holing themselves into one particular genre.

I firmly believe a lot of the people who couldn't miss Fleetwood Mac don't actually listen to the band and will filter out after the F1 theme.

It amazes me how fleetwood mac are seemingly flavour of the month these days. If you confessed to being a fan years ago you would have been laughed out of town.

You've got a point Russy, I used to get laughed and mocked quite a bit by some friends and work collegues for being a FM fan, some still do.

Fuck em, that night next year at the pyramid is going to be glorious.

Edited by swede

If you don't like Rumours, you don't like music, or more specifically songwriitng.

It's not just Glee is it because how many people on here watch Glee?

They have a huge backcatalogue, that many people that are now in signed bands had played to them when they grew up so are now claiming influence/ praising.

They've never really been away, and crucially, due to Christine McVie coming back and a new album being slowly hyped, things are timed right for them now.

If you don't like Rumours, you don't like music, or more specifically songwriitng.

It's not just Glee is it because how many people on here watch Glee?

They have a huge backcatalogue, that many people that are now in signed bands had played to them when they grew up so are now claiming influence/ praising.

They've never really been away, and crucially, due to Christine McVie coming back and a new album being slowly hyped, things are timed right for them now.

For today's youngsters, it's because of Glee, and perhaps what their parents might have played.

It's not like they were being featured anywhere until Glee did its thing, apart from the usual Grand Prix theme tune.

Following the Glee thing, it was very obvious that interest had ramped up. In fact, I posted here years ago to say that I could see the interest had ramped up (I was unaware of Glee) - and had lots of youngsters post back to say it was because of Glee.

Edited by eFestivals

Interest ramped up alright, but not just due to Glee - a large number of acts at the minute use the FM West Coast Radio Rock as a template for their sound: Daft Punk, Ariel Pink, The XX, Best Coast, etc.

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/music/2013/12/24/how_fleetwood_mac_became_one_of_the_most_influential_bands_of_2013.html

Edited by CaledonianGonzo

I started paying attention to them again after that BBC documentary that aired a few years back. It was enough to get me to buy a greatest hits cd but I can't say I've played it that much.

I think I'd go see them if they headlined but could easily be tempted away to anther stage.

yeh but only because bowies reputation was destroyed by some appalling tours, crappy albums and his "retiring" of his hits after the sound + vision tour.

As soon as it became clear the hits were back, he was adored and selling out everywhere again.

Outside and earthling tours were turd.

I bet you 50p fleetwood mac 2015 isnt remembered as fondly as bowie 2000....

Edited by russycarps

Bowie 2000 is only remembered so fondly because people expected it to be crap at the time. nobody was expecting a greatest hits set, or a particularly great performance, both of which he delivered (plus his absence makes the heart grow fonder etc)

Fleetwood Mac will be great for those who like Fleetwood Mac, but there probably won't be any surprises. it'll be pretty much what people are expecting / what they've been doing for the rest of the tour, so of course won't have the same impact

Bowie 2000 is only remembered so fondly because people expected it to be crap at the time. nobody was expecting a greatest hits set, or a particularly great performance, both of which he delivered (plus his absence makes the heart grow fonder etc)

I was the same with Paul McCartney, expected the Frog song and a load of new stuff I had never heard of and got blown away by Beatles classics and a very emotional performance. Could have been the state I was in....but still I enjoyed it.....

Most bands experience peaks and troughs in their popularity. It's just the way of the world and can be catalysed for any number of reasons.

Bowie couldn't get arrested a few years back but if we were to play today it'd be like the second coming.

Spot on. See also: Chic. Just for another recent example.

The revival of interest in them seems to have come about because of Glee. :O

Way off. The cultural impact and influence of Glee on the 'youngsters' is grossly overestimated by some. It was big for about five minutes a few years back, but even then it was never that big.

Way off. The cultural impact and influence of Glee on the 'youngsters' is grossly overestimated by some. It was big for about five minutes a few years back, but even then it was never that big.

It's really not.

Eavis was spot on when he said - before that Glee - that few were interested in Fleetwood Mac.

That Glee reminded people of FM's existence, and caused them to be revisited.

It was massive for a couple of years, people couldn't stop talking about it. Even worse versions were made of it as every tv channel was trying to tap into it. Everyone even started liking Journey for a brief period of time ffs! Merchandise was everywhere to!