• Replies 37.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eFestivals

• FloorFiller

• Matt42

• Rose-Colored Boy

So, I took a proper look at The Roses live videos on Youtube there. I thought they were pretty bad. They sound really flat live and the lead singer has an awful voice, I didn't realise quite how bad he was live. Not much energy on stage, just sort of all bunched up in the middle standing around.

Yes, I'm sure it's brilliant in a field packed with hardcore fans for a comeback gig but lets be real, I'd wager the majority of Glastonbury would know Fools Gold, I wanna be Adored, maybe I am the Resurrection. It'll be another Gorillaz.

They were around before I was born so I can't look at them with rose tinted spectacles, maybe I don't 'get' the whole Madchester thing, but from an impartial musical and performance point of view, they seem shit to me.

Complete rubbish.....

Gorillaz songs just did not translate to a big field with 70-80,000 people. I also thing you are being very patronising about Glastonbury punters, if they do play then there will be 10s of thousands of people who know Waterfall, Sally Cinnamon, The is The One and pretty much every other Stone Roses song.

What you have stated is equivalent to saying that when Metallica played last year then punters would only know Enter Sandman or Nothing Else Matters when in reality thousands of people had their hands in the air singing every word to every song.

Ian Brown is not a great singer but the rest of the band are fantastic live, I don't think there is a better drummer than Reni when it comes to rhythm and raw talent.

What you have stated is equivalent to saying that when Metallica played last year then punters would only know Enter Sandman or Nothing Else Matters when in reality thousands of people had their hands in the air singing every word to every song.

:lol:

If the Stone Roses are as popular amongst the Glastonbury demographic as Metallica turned out to be then the Stone Roses shouldn't be booked, at all.

Yes, I'm sure it's brilliant in a field packed with hardcore fans for a comeback gig but lets be real, I'd wager the majority of Glastonbury would know Fools Gold, I wanna be Adored, maybe I am the Resurrection. It'll be another Gorillaz.

Look at the Glastonbury crowds running to another stage to songs outside of the three you mentioned (and this was just Ian Brown by himself!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF2eqf5VSro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atK3_wIdUEM

Look at the Glastonbury crowds running to another stage to songs outside of the three you mentioned (and this was just Ian Brown by himself!)

Ah okay, well if a big crowd going mad for a drunk arsehole on the Other Stage is rnough to wualify you for Pyramid headliner then we can have Paolo Nutini headline and all.

Ian Brown is not a great singer but the rest of the band are fantastic live, I don't think there is a better drummer than Reni when it comes to rhythm and raw talent.

Excellent, so an hour and a half of instrumentals will be great. They rely on the die hard fans to make their own gigs so special. Glastonbury will not be their own gig so i predict, if they do play, an absolute shambles of a headline set.

Ah okay, well if a big crowd going mad for a drunk arsehole on the Other Stage is rnough to wualify you for Pyramid headliner then we can have Paolo Nutini headline and all.

"A drunk arsehole".. what, Ian Brown who doesn't drink and hasn't for many years?

To be honest two of the other names in the hat for headliners Madonna and Florence are not the greatest of singers either, though Ian Brown would be able to get away with it with help from a passionate crowd.

Excellent, so an hour and a half of instrumentals will be great. They rely on the die hard fans to make their own gigs so special. Glastonbury will not be their own gig so i predict, if they do play, an absolute shambles of a headline set.

Maybe they should replace Brown with someone from X-factor so the music sounds the same as on CD/vinyl/streaming?

Is his voice even noticeable in a live crowd? Especially a crowd that is singing loud and a long anyway?

Jagger sounded fab in 2013 btw, and I remember people saying similar things in the lead up to that.

All in all, it only matters to people watching on TV

To be honest two of the other names in the hat for headliners Madonna and Florence are not the greatest of singers either, though Ian Brown would be able to get away with it with help from a passionate crowd.

Glastonbury won't be that passionate. I don't doubt there will be fans of the roses there because clearly there will be, just not enough to be so forgiving.

Is his voice even noticeable in a live crowd? Especially a crowd that is singing loud and a long anyway?

Jagger sounded fab in 2013 btw, and I remember people saying similar things in the lead up to that.

All in all, it only matters to people watching on TV

Can't say I noticed anything at Heaton Park but I heard a few dodgy notes at Glasgow Green. It's definitely nowhere near as noticeable in a crowd than on tv though.

Imagine wearing a hat like that. What a c**t. As for the crowd... :guninmouth:

You can certainly the influence they had on Oasis.

He behaves like that sober? :O

Will Young > those cretins. And I really don't like Will Young.

Christ on a bike, chill the fuck out. I've been pretty vocal about how I don't get the whole Roses thing going on here but no need to be so tense. Just go somewhere else - it's Glastonbury :)

PS. Nothing wrong with Paolo Nutini.

Edited by Zac Quinn